I broke it

Timmy_03-P5

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
So I feel like a genius: I broke a sensor when I was messing around with my intake. While I was removing the intake piping closest to the EGR, I was removing the (what I learned to be) the EGR solenoid valve. I jerked too hard and broke the bottom nipple off in the hose that is connected to it.

64780_10200388024810458_1088761771_n.jpg

I searched and searched to no avail for a parts store that had one, and obviously had no car to drive around to find one since I had just broken this. I ordered one online so that I can get a new one in there, but for the time being I super glued the nipple and hose back on to the base of the valve.

I was wondering if any one has any ideas of what might happen when I'm driving around if the glue comes loose: will it not run? will just the cel come on? I'm just really curious what the stupid thing does haha

Thanks for any input and hopefully you get a laugh out of my unfortunate carelessness when I was moving this thing around.(hah)

Last edited:
I have one laying around, working condition
E : sorry, didnt read you bought one already!

its a purge valve, recirculates the fuel fumes to the intake

yeah i think that is the purge control valve, which is NOT the egr valve..the EGR is under the throttle body, and kind of hard to reach...it would be tough to accidentally break that thing (i did taking mine apart, but that was after it was removed from the car)...

Might be a good idea to source one from a local wrecking yard if you can...although i don't think that part is overly expensive...

Back