Car won't start

Jwlj

:
2013 CX-5 Touring
I have roughly 16k miles on the cx5.
Sat in the driveway for a few days. Wife tried to start the car and nothing.
Key fob didn't unlock the doors, car didn't start etc...

Called Mazda support, they cam out and jumped the car and everything was fine.

Two days later, same thing happend. Resulting in another start.

Battery tested fine at the dealership.
No lights on in the car, everything is off.

Talked to a friend that had a similar issue with his 09 cx7.
Said even though the battery tested out fine, he bought a new one and he hasn't had a problem since.
Not sure if it's the exact same issue but it sounds like it might be.

Any thoughts?

I have found that if a battery deep cycles, you can kiss that battery good by. The only batteries built for deep cycling are ones that state on the side "deep cycling". Have the dealer replace the battery

Could be a parasitic drain or a bad ground somewhere. Had this happen to me before. turned out to be a bad ground in the radio. replaced and never happened again.

Dealer said they won't replace a battery that tests good.
As for the ground.... It just started happening. Haven't modded anything and I doubt anything came loose.

Once I get a chance im going to try and look it over before I make a bigger fuss at the dealership.

Thanks for the help.

My radio/ground issue didn't happen until a few thousand miles into owning it. I would mention the parasitic draw to them and see if they can find it. It's a pain in the ass to do so they'll probably talk around it but worth a try.

My Mustang had a strange battery issue once. It lives with a battery tender on it, so the battery would always seem fine. If I left it unplugged for a couple of days it would seem fine until I turned the ignition, then it would die quickly. When a 12v battery cranks at start up it should only dip to 9-10v, mine was dipping down to something like 4v. Before the crank, the battery would test ok while not under load, but fail miserably under load. I want to say that it was a bad cell, but I can't remember the exact term.

Just a thought...

The CX5 with the push button start can be left on accidentally... Here is the scenario...

You park the vehicle, and press the start/stop button to kill the motor and turn off the car. Then you realize that you need to close the sunroof, or roll down a window, eject a CD, etc., so you push the Start/stop button again to turn the cars power back on to finish your task. If you fail to cycle the start/stop button back to the OFF position again, the car power/ignition will remain ON, and power will run down.

Just a thought...

The CX5 with the push button start can be left on accidentally... Here is the scenario...

You park the vehicle, and press the start/stop button to kill the motor and turn off the car. Then you realize that you need to close the sunroof, or roll down a window, eject a CD, etc., so you push the Start/stop button again to turn the cars power back on to finish your task. If you fail to cycle the start/stop button back to the OFF position again, the car power/ignition will remain ON, and power will run down.

Yes, however, then you exit the car and hit the lock button. You wont get the horn beep to confirm the lock, right? Im pretty sure that is how mine behaves.

Back