Need a motor.

Stickman

:
3 P5
Need to replace motor for manual 2.0 p5 under $800 w/ shipping.
Other than protgs, are there other direct swap options, probe, focus, etc?

There's the kl swap and the bpt swap those are the ones I've heard of. I think there are other ones but if you want a quick swap to get your car on the road just put another fsde in and ull be good .
Edit: check your local scrap yard sure you will prob find something. Less of a hustle than someone from here shipping you a engine from the forum . My 2cents

01-03 2.0 protege and 626 are exactly the same. Pre 01 2.0 motors will work with some modification

The FS 4 cylinder all the way back to 93 probes/mx-6's/626's will 'work'...but before 98 they used a distributor for ignition...you'll need to seal off the hole for the distributor shaft on the front of the head (if you need to use the 'new' engine's head)...some also used a different sensor layout, particularly with the triggering...so you'll need to use the same harness you already did, with the same crank and cam sensors...as well as the crank pulley for your crank sensor...if you pick up an engine with the older triggering, you'll need your current valve cover, and cam gears...to mount the cam sensor in the right location...

but, consider looking for an FS as new as possible...at some point the F family received a forged crank, revised connecting rods, etc...which is no doubt better than the original versions...some say that happened at 99+, but others have said it wasn't until 2001 that the FS got that stuff...not exactly sure...

There was also a point in which they switched to and from hydraulic lifters iirc. Lots of little changes for one motor

Tweet, install,
I'd like an identical swap. So from what you's r saying, 1, 2, 3, protege manual or 626 manual will be identical. Anything else will need adjustments? Probe, mx-6, ???
I understand the newer the better, as they continually made improvements?

QUOTE=tweety2300;6121342]There was also a point in which they switched to and from hydraulic lifters iirc. Lots of little changes for one motor[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
99+ 2.0 from 626 or protege you will be fine auto or manual doesn't matter they are all literally the same

I wouldn't call them improvements, just adjustments to see what worked better

They both use g series yes. But I can go on for awhile as to all the differences in the g series transmissions as I spent about a month searching trying so see what I could and couldn't use. If you're going for a good transmission get an 02+ 626 trans. As they have to good updated synchros and the taller 5th to lower rpms on highway.

Of course if you have a trans laying around from a sephia you should be able to use it. You might have to use the bell housing from the p5.

Anything else you need to know about our transmissions that you can't find on protegefaq pm me and ill let you know

^couldn't have said it better...

also, for the record...98 was when the FS received solid lifters...which require a little maintenance...but are considerably stronger and more reliable than pressure fed designs...so if you can; i'd avoid any probe or mx-6 FS engines, as you're dealing with the 'dated' heads...and WILL have to figure out the plug problem from the distributor...i'd say 'worst case' would be a 98 or 99 626 FS, but the newer you get the more little updates that will only help more...

i recently read somewhere (cant remember where tho) that the protege and the kia sephia manual have the same transmission is this true?

i'm not sure about the sephia...Kia did have a contract to get some powertrain components through Mazda back then, but i forget the specifics...I'm pretty sure a few years of the Sportage got the FS and the protege's automatic...but i don't think the G-series manual was ever a option on that little suv trucklet thing...

but tweety isn't kidding about the gear boxes...it just gets more nuts the more you dig...the same clutch, pressure plate, bearings, etc...are used on all kinds of different cars...as 2.0L proteges...and the bell housing diameters are the same throughout a bunch, too...but bolt patterns, clutch slave cylinder mounting points, etc, all end up being different in some cases...and there is very little consistency with Mazda's ID numbers for them...

Tweet, install, domo, etc,
P5 motors are hard to find and expensive $1200 - $1300 for used w/ lots of miles. Strangely enough, 2002 626 motors are more available and far better price point, $600 - $800 ish. Seems to good to be true.
So,,,,,,, before I go ordering one, are there any more specifics I need to ask about, look for, to make sure it will be a simple swap , like a motor coming right out of a P5?
Thanks.

^couldn't have said it better...

also, for the record...98 was when the FS received solid lifters...which require a little maintenance...but are considerably stronger and more reliable than pressure fed designs...so if you can; i'd avoid any probe or mx-6 FS engines, as you're dealing with the 'dated' heads...and WILL have to figure out the plug problem from the distributor...i'd say 'worst case' would be a 98 or 99 626 FS, but the newer you get the more little updates that will only help more...

stickman dont u have u pull yards where u live? out here at a u pull the whole engine sells for 250 with core exhange

I'm about to take a trip to Florida lol
lol theres actually 1 at the yard now that i pulled out when i was getting the header n mounts its a complete engine i left it on the floor under the car a couple weeks ago. hopefully its still there cuz i gotta go tomorrow n grab the head n cams but the block is urs if u want it lol

well theres another head there i removed from another protege 2.0 for learning purposes but i lost the tappets oh btw heads r $30.00 lol

Back