Brakes Upgrade

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
So Im thinking to change out my rotors and wheel bearings some time when my brake pads start to go bad again. I was going to ask you all what kind of rotors would be the best over oem. I mean i think its not really too necessary for slotted vent discs but im thinking just keep them flat plate rotors cause I really dont want any of that unnecessary brake noise coming from slotted rotors. I like the smooth and quite braking the p5 has now I just want to get rid of the shaking at highway braking. Any advice on brands and sizes that fit oem parts would be great. Also how hard is it to change out the wheel bearings? Is that a difficult task to do?

OEM Rotors are fine, I would go with a more agreessive pad and Stainless Steel Brake lines for better brake pedal feel.....

Last edited:
+1 on ss brake lines. After I felt how they were on my 323 I fell in love. I'm looking at a box with them for the protege right now

nearly any rotor will be fine, i ran $20 duralast rotors from autozone for 3 years before a stock caliper seized, and it was fine...i just replaced everything with bigger equipment though...as far as quality, its the pads and calipers that make the biggest difference...rotors are easy to make, you won't find a lot of quality difference between the different brands...

I now have Brembo OE replacements for the fronts (which are now 626 V6 brakes)...and bought some rear rotors from tirerack recently (they're MSP brakes now)...but can't remember the brand...everything but the pad surface is painted black, so no rust or anything...wish i had the same front rotors...the brembo's are treated with something to keep down on rust...but rust eventually happened...the black rears on the other hand, they're doing great...

I mean i think its not really too necessary for slotted vent discs but im thinking just keep them flat plate rotors cause I really dont want any of that unnecessary brake noise coming from slotted rotors.
I have slotted rotors. No brake noise.

Back