HELP! 02 protege5 misfiring after changing wires, plugs, and coils..

:
2002 mazda protege 5
Its a 5speed with 156k miles...just 2 days ago the car had some hesitation in first gear, and little irratic idling...the check engine light was on. so today i had it scanned, said just needed a tune up. So we changed out the wires, plugs and coils. started out kinda doing the same hesitation, within minutes it went to crap. Stalled out, Started jumping and laggin like it wasnt getting gas when accelerating in all gears. even going down the highway at 55 it would start cutting out. then be kind of ok again. after an hour of sitting, started it back up and attempted to drive, wouldnt barely go. End of the story I towed the thing home just now.

Any ideas what could be causeing this problem? plugs not gapped right? defective coils, wires? or is it something simple like water in my gas and i didn't even need the tune up?
any help is greatly needed. THANKS =)

Any of the above u mentioned. Is a possibility. Start off with checking plug gap. Then if u still have old coils swap em out 1 by 1. Or use a multimeter to test them. Also make sure wires are making good contact with spark plugs they should click when installed. If all checks out start looking at possible fuel issues. Clogged injectors bad fuel pump ect.ect.

I'd try seafoam,... you could have had some bad gas with water or other crap in it that partially clogged your injectors. Seafoam is cheap, fast and easy,.. if it doesn't work then try the other things. That $10 might very well fix it. (maybe a shot of gas line antifreeze as well)
PS,... I don't think you wasted your money on the new parts,... I've got a box with coils, wires, plugs, pcv valve, air and oil filter and a new fuel sender housing all waiting for the warmer weather to be installed,... and my car is running awesome.

Last edited:
check/clean EGR, check/clean IAC, check MAF sensor, check MAP sensor, replace PCV, and check for vacuum leaks
all would affect the idle, drive ability, and most important gas mileage haha

what code did you get?

Last edited:
Well, in my opinion, whatever was wrong with it before you changed the coils, is still wrong.

Seafoam will not help a car start.

I'm thinking he got a dose of bad gas,... what's the procedure for dealing with that?? I'm figuring you can treat the gas in the tank but the bad gas in the lines from the tank to the injectors may need to be cleared. He did say that it was kinda running so could he just crank the engine over until the treated gas gets pulled up to the injectors or would that create a code 300-304 (engine misfire)?

Dump the gas, refill the tank.

the lines purge themselves every 15 seconds when the car is running, there is a loop in the system.

fuel is constantly returning to the tank.

i just put in the gas line antifreeze and let the car run for 10mins, slight change in the idle stability, but again when i try to put it in gear and go, the idle drops down and nearly dies, and really isnt wanting to move enough to accelerate. also took all the plugs out and checked the gaps, they are all at .041 same as my old plugs. I even put the old coils back in and nothing changed with the way its running. ill recheck the wires in a min. just got done disconnecting the battery to let the computer reset. Someone said to check the Cam sensor? is that a possibility for the way its acting?

Plug gap is. 044 but .03 difference shouldn't cause ur problem. Is it cell light on? If so u need to pull the code to see what it reads. Like others said it could b a number of things.. cam sensor. Tps sensor egr valve. Vacuum leak. Do u hear a hiss? My car would idle rough n stumble n miss n almost die n it was a bad intake manifold gasket...its kind of a pita to do tho

Well, in my opinion, whatever was wrong with it before you changed the coils, is still wrong.

Seafoam will not help a car start.
the car still starts and runs. just cant go more than backing up and pulling forward slowly cause of the feeling like tha car just isnt getting any gas

Plug gap is. 044 but .03 difference shouldn't cause ur problem. Is it cell light on? If so u need to pull the code to see what it reads. Like others said it could b a number of things.. cam sensor. Tps sensor egr valve. Vacuum leak. Do u hear a hiss? My car would idle rough n stumble n miss n almost die n it was a bad intake manifold gasket...its kind of a pita to do tho

yea the cel is steady on. and there is no hiss

Ok so it most likely ain't Tps. Try posting a vid so we can see n hear it or go buy a obd2 scanner even if u return it later u still need to know what the cell is

figured it out. my air intake hose had multiple dry rot cracks in it. duct tapped it and it ran fine. off to buy new hose! thanks anyway everryone

ha, was just about to say if it doesn't do it in neutral, but does when you try to 'move' the car...its load dependent...and either a problem with the intake plumbing, or a sensor related to that...

Her's the intake hose from Rockauto if you're interested:

2002 MAZDA PROTEGE5 2.0L L4 : Fuel/Air : Air Cleaner Intake Hose
DORMAN Part # 696601 {#FP4713220A}

Price CAD$24.29

PS,... I keep duct tape in the car so I can now do engine repair on the fly.

Last edited:
Back