no oil in filter

Benny719

:
Mazda, Pritege5, 5Speed
I got a dumb question. Just did the oil change on my protege5 for the first time and no oil drained out of the filter. It had a fram Tough guard TG6607. Is this normal for the protege?

There is an anti-drain-back valve in the oil filter. It's put in to keep the filter full so there is always oil flow as soon as the engine starts. Did the filter feel heavy as though there was oil in it?? Did it weigh more than the new replacement filter?? If so everything is normal.
P.S. I use the Fram 7317 instead of the 6607,... I's the one used for the 2002-03 Mazda 626 V6,... It's the exact same dimensions, thread size, gasket size and valve pressure but it's taller, so has more filter media inside to do its job,... It's a dollar cheaper too at my store.

Last edited:
is there oil in the engine?

^This. If you drained approximately 3.5 qts out of the pan, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also, I would recommend a better filter than Fram...Purolator PureOne filters are very highly rated and just about the same price.

^what they said...the media inside the filter will remain 'saturated'...but you won't always notice oil pouring out of it when you change it...i've changed oil countless times on mine, and even then i still sometimes have oil coming out everywhere from the filter and filter mount...some times none...but the filter ALWAYS feels noticeably heavier than the new one i screw on...

I have good oil flow to the head so I know I have good flow. Maybe the old filter was clogged ill see how it goes on the next oil change.

^This. If you drained approximately 3.5 qts out of the pan, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also, I would recommend a better filter than Fram...Purolator PureOne filters are very highly rated and just about the same price.

Purolator now has a new 100% synthetic media filter, have you tried that yet?

I just got 5 oil filters sent to me from Rockauto (Fram 7317), but I'll give Purolator a try in about a year and a half when I need new filters.

If the filter is 'warm' when you touch it after the engine has been running - the filter is 'full'. If it is cold - it is bypassing/saturated and not doing anything... ;)

I have good oil flow to the head so I know I have good flow.
How do you know this?

And BTW, in both my personal and professional opinion, Fram filters suck. My DM, when I was a manager at Advance, swore by Fram filters and used them on his fully restored 68 Camaro... Well, one day the whole damn thing collapsed and destroyed his engine. On my friends 1.6l equipped Protege, he complained of a knocking noise on cold start up after doing his oil change. I asked him what filter he used and he told me he had gotten a Fram Toughguard because the parts personel told him it was the best one to use. I had him bring his car to the shop and we let the vehicle sit for about 20 minutes and restarted it and sure enough it sounded like hell. I replaced his filter and filter only with a Bosch filter I had for my MSP and the noise went away after that.

How does the Purolator classic compare to the synthetic? The classic is $4.88 and the synthetic is $11.97 (at Wal-mart). I like cheap but I want it reliable.

OK,... I'll rephrase,... Is the classic Purolator oil filter a safer and more reliable alternative to the Fram products ??
I did notice the Bosch was the same price as the Fram,... I'm sure that's a better alternative.

Last edited:
Cheap and reliable don't mix...

Well, the pureone filter is $7 at advance and rated one of the best filters out there, so in this case, they do.

I haven't used the synthetics, but the PureOne filters are supposed to be very good. I wouldn't lose any sleep using one of those...they were the top of the line until these new synthetic ones came out, and they're still better than all filters in their price range and many above.

And, I would say that even the classic is better than a Fram!

I've had the same issue on some oil changes and was reassured by other members here that it was ok. After the first time I still kept an eye on the levels but all has been good. I use the Bosch 3323 filter which is also for the Mazda6 V6, more media filter as mentioned above and also allows for a full 4qts to be used.

OK,... I'll rephrase,... Is the classic Purolator oil filter a safer and more reliable alternative to the Fram products ??
I did notice the Bosch was the same price as the Fram,... I'm sure that's a better alternative.

If I were you I would go with the purolator pure one(the yellow textured one). It's not too bad priced and filters very well too.

Back