Inventory questions

crypie

I'm considering a 2014 CX-5 so I've been watching the inventory levels in my area using Mazda USA's site. Does anyone know what the inventory really means. If it shows up in a dealer's inventory is that on-site at the dealer or somewhere in transit & allocated to that dealer.

Also, does anyone know what the inventory cycle looks like? Does Mazda ship in big batches to dealers or is it onesy twoseys? It's not a huge deal but I am just curious if anyone here has done the research and figured it out. I figure the more I understand it the better I can time my purchase for the best deal.

Thanks.

When I was watching it, it looked like the car appeared on dealer inventory when the port of entry processed the car, probably when they received the "boat-load". It took a little time for them to add port options and truck it to the dealer.

Another thing to keep in mind is you'll often get a different perspective on a given dealer's inventory by going directly to their web site rather than looking at what they have throught the MazdaUS website "prism". Then too, you can make phone calles to the dealer to verify if you see inconsistencies.

I would suggest emailing the dealer through Mazda's website to obtain a quote & verify the VIN# listed on the website is indeed in stock. That's how I bought ours. Never talked to them until I was ready to go in & buy the car.
The email quoted price can be used to negotiate a lower price at another dealer.
Ignore dealers that tell you to go in w/o a price. I also used my google voice # so I can screen calls, they all called/emailed me every day. Prob best to deal with the dealer that has the car you want or will give you the best price.
Also go on dealerrater.com to see how the dealership is rated.

The Mazda USA website showed inventory at my local dealer before they had it on their own site. It was so current that when I stopped by after seeing the exact configuration online the dealer didn't have it listed in inventory yet but knew it just came off the truck. It was still covered in plastic and I bought it that night.

Good perspective. I also found it interesting that one of the local dealers advertised in the paper that they had over 40 2014 CX-5's on the way. They only show 42 in inventory on their site so I suspect the 40 number includes some in transit to the dealership.

Either way, it's good to see inventory building up.

Back