Thinking about leather wrapping the dash ...?

TylerStoltz

:
Mazda Protege5
I'm thinking about leather wrapping the dash in my P5. It's Midnight Blue, so I'm thinking white, maybe. How difficult is the actual getting-the-dash-out part going to be?

I'd have a look in the service manual about what bolts to remove, etc... It's only as hard as you make it, that's how I like to think. Just scope it out and plan ahead. The HU and all will need to come out I should think. The glove box just drops down if you press on the sides. From there, the steering wheel will need to be lowered, I don't know if you'll need to take it off (I hope) and then the gauges. Then I think it should be okay?

Wait till other members chime in though, and I hope they do. I'd like to see how the wrapping comes out :) Just plan for it being out of comission for a bit. Unless you do what Tamn has done and just hook the gauge cluster up and away you go. Not sure if you're into the whole "efficiency" thing, but Tamn's got a mean build thread if you'd like to check it out! Ask about the dash removal there- or send him a PM. Here's a link to his thread:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123812526-Protege5-Smarter-not-Harder!

He's taken his dash out (I don't know if I didn't already imply that) and so he'll be your best bet

Back