mp3 ecu

Slammedslug

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
i searched and litterally 0 threads showed up based on it, i see people's mod list and it says mp3 ecu

what exactly is the difference in the mp3 ecu vs the stock p5 ecu?

Didn't someone say an mp3 ecu gave an 8-10 whp gain with bolt ons? I saw it awhile back but iirc I never saw any proof

The "Bolt Ons" are where most of the power came from.

It's like "Ricer Math"

The CAI gives +4
The Cat Back gives + 4

so + 10 HP, (Not)

No, I meant after the bolt ons they put it on a dyno then plugged the mp3 ecu up and did another dyno run and made a pretty significant gain. Of course I saw this a long time ago and can't even find the thread, or remember what exactly was done to it. I think he had a full exhaust, intake, pulleys, and possibly cams, I believe he was around 130 whp I do know it was over 5 cause I searched for awhile trying to figure out what the Vtcs delete did for numbers along with the rb axle back, just to see if the mp3 may have had more than 140 chp

Btw your ricer numbers are off.
Cai gives 10-15 hp
Cat back gives 20

Hm what is it that really gives you the power isn't it the same exact engine and everything has a normal protege/p5? Thought the only differences in the MP3 were appearance and interior?

Timing tables, fuel etc are different on the ECU. No VCTS in the intake manifold. Bout covers it for the engine.

Theres plenty of other stuff. Swaybars, springs that are different. Probably more but im not American so never learnt all the model related stuff.

The intake and exhaust system are different.

And the ECU has a slightly different ignition curve which requires the use of 94 octane gas under all circumstances.

Yes, sorry. We dont get 91 where I live, we only get 87 89 and 94, so you are correct. My Bad

Would there be a difference between using 91 and 94 oct? Or would the ecu just act the same to both?

In a cooler climate it would probably not make a difference, but basically, the ECU will run full timing until it detects knock. You could possibly run 89 and get full power in the winter spring here in Canada, but if the ECU sees knock, it will pull the timing back thus defeating the point of the MP3 ECU.

Several factors increase the risk of detonation.

Lower Octane is higher risk.
Higher Intake Temp is higher risk.
Higher Cylinder Temp (Charge Air going past valves into cylinder) is higher risk.
Ignition Quality (Spark Strength, Coil Power vs Spark gap) is higher risk.
Lean Mixture (Low fuel pressure, Low fuel volume, dirty injectors, undersized injectors, bad tune) is higher risk.

So basically 91 is the norm I have to run but if you want to you can run 94 right?

Mp3 had racing beat front and rear sway bars, racing beat axle back, racing beat springs that lowered about 3/4", tokico blue struts, Vtcs delete, tuned ecu, and the rest of th cosmetic stuff

You do not have to run premium fuel, I don't unless I'm taking a long road trip as it does help has milage. I haven't for the past few years, temps range from -10 to 100.If I decide to take it out for alot of fun during the weekend ill run all the gas out fill with premium run it for 10-20 miles and reset the ecu. It will only advance the timing to a certain extent so there will be no difference between 91 and 94.

Back