What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I'm assuming he's talking about part FT01291?

I had an MVI to pass in this case and couldn't wait for the part to arrive with upcoming vacation planned. My fault for not planning further ahead but time gets away from you with kids. Rock Auto has been great in the past, but it usually takes a week or so for parts to arrive.

Would love to know how and what you connected for the big 3 as I’m in the middle of doing my CX-5 full 1/0 and not sure the best approach to connect the alternator to the main battery, especially because will likely require a 200-250Amp generator upgrade so was thinking of just running the extra alternator wire straight to the battery positive using a KnuKonceptz terminal with OEM integration post to allow the OEM fused terminal/hub to just slide onto that integration post, I believe I will have to fuse the add on 1/0 wire from alternator to battery (at the battery) with a 250amp fuse. It’s confusing because the OEM terminal hub has a 250 Amp fuse labeled starter and another 200 Amp fuse labeled Main, don’t think I want to mess with that was thinking straight to the battery is best?!?
I would completely buy a pre-made kit that had reasonable instructions, connectors and quality pre-fit wires for a CX-5. Let me know if you ever do a side hustle on this😀

My tensioner and belt still look fine on my ‘15.. I suppose I will swap in a couple years when I hit 100k miles (~161k kilometers)

Last edited:
I got a full set of OEM 19" rims for $300 CAD, which I thought was a great deal. I spent a few hours cleaning them all up - did a deep clean before taking a clay bay to them to get rid of the remaining yellow staining.

Overall I think they look pretty good and after getting some new tires a couple weeks ago, I finally had some time to put them on today. Went with Continental DWS06+ in slightly larger than OEM at 235/55 R19.

View attachment 320077 View attachment 320078

I also replaced some belts and the belt tensioner over the weekend, so I'm feeling better about that. The old tensioner looked to have been leaking oil and the belt was looking pretty worn out and cracking. The next project will be to sand and respray the headlights, as those are starting to show their age after being parked outside for almost 7 years now.

View attachment 320080 View attachment 320081 View attachment 320082
A full set of OEM 19" rims for $300 CAD? That’s an unbelievable deal! Looks like you got a set of 19” wheels from gen-2 CX-5 for your 2016.5 CX-5, do you have 17” wheels originally? I remember the OEM 19” wheels between gen-1 and gen-2 have different offset. But that shouldn’t matter too much.

$40 vs. $150+. I think there may be a similar thread dedicated to the tensioner also. I installed this one in early 2021.

There’re at least 6 ~ 8 versions of the OEM tensioners and the price (MSRP) started from < $100 several years ago to currently $186.61!!!

A full set of OEM 19" rims for $300 CAD? That’s an unbelievable deal! Looks like you got a set of 19” wheels from gen-2 CX-5 for your 2016.5 CX-5, do you have 17” wheels originally? I remember the OEM 19” wheels between gen-1 and gen-2 have different offset. But that shouldn’t matter too much.
Looks like a bargin at the Stealership, I suspect those rims are $800 each!

Screenshot 2023-06-25 223416.png

I plastidipped my rear emblems. I used Hyperdip. Sorry bout the messy garage.

I had trouble peeling the plastidip off from between the seems when I sprayed the emblems on the car. Ended up just buying OEM emblems from Mazda,, spraying them and then replacing the chrome ones on the car. Cost me more but it was worth it to get them where i wanted them.

Also, Mikstore in the Philippines has black badges to either overlay (Main M emblem) or replace the CX5 & Skyactive badges.

It would be great to have a post that lists all the parts you can get cheaper from the manufacturer, like the NGK ILKAR7L11 spark plugs that are less than half the price of the Mazda branded part.

There is this Resource thread, where a link to a Google Drive Spreadsheet provides external links and part numbers to a lot of useful CX-5 related stuff. It's a few years old though, and I'm not sure if the OP is still keeping it updated, but it does have it's own tab specifically for belt tensioners with prices that vary from $30 to $142. Prices are probably outdated now too, but part numbers can still probably be referenced.

Sold it! It was a great vehicle with 0 issues from day 1. Even the power mirrors that were used multiple times a day, never failed. Looking at you, Unobtanium. :) I'm glad I didn't waste any money on an extended warranty!

We will miss it, but we're ready to try our luck in EV Land. I'm sure it will be more eventful than Mazda was, but you only live once!

We will miss it, but we're ready to try our luck in EV Land. I'm sure it will be more eventful than Mazda was, but you only live once!
Which EV or PHEV are you interested in? A BYD with 1,000km / 621.37mile range and 10-minute fast charging time?

Last edited:
Which EV or PHEV are you interested in? A BYD with 1,000km / 621.37mile range and 20 ~ 30 minute full charging time?
Tesla Model Y Long Range. It will mostly be charging in the garage, until we work up any nerve to take it on a trip. We still have an ICE vehicle, which is only used for long trips about once a year.

Anyone know the point of using underhood insulation for rear wheel well liners instead of plastic like up front?......doesn't make sense to me. Makes me wanna go grab a can of rubberized undercoat spray and make them more water resistant while new and dirt free.

Got wt all weather mats, cargo tray, vent guards and cupholder coasters coming. Also LED interior bulbs. Takin it in Monday to have roof rails installed and pick up crossbars.....they threw those in on the deal. Got $500 loyalty cash for still having my 20yr old P5. Mudflaps will be next and also precut ceramic tint strip for windshield....then nothing

Anyone know the point of using underhood insulation for rear wheel well liners instead of plastic like up front?......doesn't make sense to me. Makes me wanna go grab a can of rubberized undercoat spray and make them more water resistant while new and dirt free.
I think you are your question backward. Why isn't the front lined like the rear. Carpet is better at dampening road noise like little rocks

Back