What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I don't rely on the level of fluid in my brake master reservoir to tell me the wear on my brake pads. If you're comfortable with that, you do you. I do all my own work (except for A/C merely because I don't have gauges/vacuum pump) so I know the condition of my vehicles. I check pad thickness when I rotate tires at every oil change. As for removing excess fluid when doing a brake job, I have always bled the fluid at each caliper while retracting the pistons. Keeps any debris from staying in the system and less chance for air to get into the lines. It also keeps your reservoir from overflowing. ;)
haha, going on 22 years over here without ever taking any car to any mechanic for anything other than alignments, and that one time I had an AC system evacuated. I can charge AC systems myself.

haha, going on 22 years over here without ever taking any car to any mechanic for anything other than alignments, and that one time I had an AC system evacuated. I can charge AC systems myself.

On the CX-5 if you notice cold air is not blowing consider changing both Schrader valves....evacuate, then recharge. Had a mobile mechanic come over and do it for $120. Includes new refrigerant too.

haven't had any issues with the CX-5 AC. But I have charged the AC in my Integra, wife's previous Corolla, and a Honda Civic using a vacuum pump and AC gauge set.

haven't had any issues with the CX-5 AC. But I have charged the AC in my Integra, wife's previous Corolla, and a Honda Civic using a vacuum pump and AC gauge set.
I've never charged a system. Don't you have to first find and address the leak? Are these re-charges after repairing or replacing the compressor or something?

Yes, despite what some people say, AC systems don't naturally leak as it's a completely sealed system.

(FWIW, I've noticed that it's generally the same people that claim you should never change transmission fluid that claim AC systems leak out over time.)

If you need freon, it's because it went somewhere. Find the leak and fix it.

...yes its a closed system. A reputable shop can find the leak via UV light or if they have an expensive device that detects the leak.

What I wanted to advise folks is that the old worn Schrader valves (looks like the tire valves) is one cause of the leak. Its a cheap and permanent fix to start off with.

Yes, despite what some people say, AC systems don't naturally leak as it's a completely sealed system.

(FWIW, I've noticed that it's generally the same people that claim you should never change transmission fluid that claim AC systems leak out over time.)

If you need freon, it's because it went somewhere. Find the leak and fix it.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just like your house. it's a closed system yet auto and home A/C guy make it sound like replacing coolant is a normal thing, SMH

Bought on sale a Simple Series 3 amp smart battery charger/maintainer at Canadian Tire as I don't drive much and do mainly short distances to get groceries! Not weatherproof so I have to store it when snow/rain is in the local forecast...I should have bought one years ago but I had a block heater on my previous vehicles so I figured I'd be O.K.
Yesterday I put it under the hood near the air filter box and ran the flat 120V wire over the headlight assembly where there is space; I had to use an extension cord, no big deal. Protected from the elements and would be thieves! I know some maintainers can be permanently mounted near the battery like the Noco Genius 2D but I want to use mine for my wife's car once in a while (hers is in the garage, mine sits outside in the cold) :p

I've never charged a system. Don't you have to first find and address the leak? Are these re-charges after repairing or replacing the compressor or something?
Charged my Integra AC after removing the evaporator core when I replaced my heater core. Charged my wife's old Corolla AC after the compressor grenaded itself, and I installed a new compressor, drier and all new O-rings. It's pretty easy to do with a vac pump and gauge set rented from AutoZone.

I applied clear silicone grease to the rubber grommet boot thingies that attach the engine cover to the engine. Now the engine cover installs and comes off easily.

.00852 HP added!!

I applied clear silicone grease to the rubber grommet boot thingies that attach the engine cover to the engine. Now the engine cover installs and comes off easily.

.00852 HP added!!
Thats gotta be more than .00852 HP ! Heres a sticker for some more.

Attachments

• EB59ADFD-9BA4-4CDF-941E-6D272C25F243.jpeg
    EB59ADFD-9BA4-4CDF-941E-6D272C25F243.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 68
- Got my 2018 CPO CX5 in April 2021, 46000km, 5/32 front and back
- Went on cross Canada road trip (Toronto - Vancouver - Toronto) in July, add 10000 KMs
- On the way back started to notice some noise coming from the Toyo tires, replaced them with Michelin CC2 in August
- Installed paddle shifter by following some posts on this forum. The best thing I've done to it.
- Installed Viofo a119 pro dashcam
- Installed rain visor
- Installed Phantom Custom-fit Car Mats

Last edited:
Took this Saturday morning. It was at the dealer Friday for an oil change and tire rotation and no mention of anything amiss. On our way home from breakfast Saturday morning the TPMS light came on. Got home and found a screw in the center tread.

Either the dealer missed it or we picked it up in the five miles driven after picking the vehicle up the day before.

Mounted the spare, thinking the local tire shop wouldn't have time to get to it until Monday. Thankfully they had time and I was in and out in under 10 minutes and my wallet was $20 lighter. Thought about going to the dealer but pretty sure they'd just say it wasn't there on Friday ans I'd have to schedule an appt. to get it fixed.
20220212_104852.jpg

Took this Saturday morning. It was at the dealer Friday for an oil change and tire rotation and no mention of anything amiss. On our way home from breakfast Saturday morning the TPMS light came on. Got home and found a screw in the center tread.

Either the dealer missed it or we picked it up in the five miles driven after picking the vehicle up the day before.

Mounted the spare, thinking the local tire shop wouldn't have time to get to it until Monday. Thankfully they had time and I was in and out in under 10 minutes and my wallet was $20 lighter. Thought about going to the dealer but pretty sure they'd just say it wasn't there on Friday ans I'd have to schedule an appt. to get it fixed.
View attachment 307466
You can always go to Discount Tire (or America’s Tire in Bay Area, NorCal) to fix the flat for free even if you have stock tires.

You also want to make sure the tire is removed from the rim and patch the hole from inside. If the tire won’t get re-balanced after the flat repair, you can ask the tire shop to mark the tire and rim before removal, and install the tire at the same position aligning the marks on the tire and rim.

Back