What have you done to your CX-5 today?

There're 2 different General AltiMAX RT43 tires with the size of 225/65R17 for about the same price. Make sure to get "H" rated one which is much superior in specs than the other "T" rated one.

My GF went to the local tire shop to pick up a set. When I checked them out a few days later I was surprised to see max psi of 44. Apparently she bought the Ts without knowing.

They ride fine, but would have preferred the higher speed rating.

Live and learn.... sigh

My GF went to the local tire shop to pick up a set. When I checked them out a few days later I was surprised to see max psi of 44. Apparently she bought the Ts without knowing.

Live and learn.... sigh
Most tire stores such as Discount Tire can swap a different set of tires within 30 days of purchase if you're not satisfied with them.

There're more than just different speed ratings:

General AltiMAX RT43CategoryUTQGMax. Inflation
Pressure
Tread DepthTire WeightTread WidthCountry of
Origin
225/65R17 102HGrand Touring
All-Season
700 A A51 psi11/32"25 lbs6.7"USA
225/65R17 102TStandard Touring
All-Season
700 A B44 psi11/32"25 lbs7.2"Romania

Most tire stores such as Discount Tire can swap a different set of tires within 30 days of purchase if you're not satisfied with them.

General AltiMAX* RT43CategoryUTQGMax. Inflation
Pressure
Origin
All-Season
All-Season

Uhh, I believe those differences are The basis of the different speed ratings.

General AltiMAX RT43CategoryUTQGMax. Inflation
Pressure
Origin
All-Season
All-Season

Theyre a local mom and pop shop. Its our mistake for not knowing they came in different speeds ratings. Plus I doubt she hits triple digits in her CRV anyway.

General AltiMAX[emoji769] RT43CategoryUTQGMax. Inflation
Pressure
Origin
All-Season
All-Season
My H speeds are also made in Romania.

Uhh, I believe those differences are The basis of the different speed ratings.
Different speed ratings come with different tread width、UTQG temperature rating、and maximum inflation pressure?

The RT43 on my CR-V is made in USA although the size is different.

Word of warning.

I hated the feel of the Altimax tires at stock PSI. I assume you have 17s like me? Air them up a couple more PSI.

Also, they feel much better now that they are a little worn. Right from the shop they did not feel great at all. But now, they are definitely a little below my old Michelins in the handling department, but otherwise have been great, especially considering the price.

I presume you mean on dry pavement? How have they done on wet/ice/snow?

I wish t he CX5 had the power to lay some rubber, that's how I used to determine tire-pressure. Read the rubber on the road and adjust accordingly.

If these fail to impress, I'm going back to Continental with their Truecontact.

Anyway, how specifically are the Michelins better? More progressive break-away? More audible and tactile warning? Better rain/snow? How?

Last edited:

Live and learn.... sigh

The benefit of the T's is that they seem to work better in the snow and on ice from all I've been able to find.

IMO the reason why we need more psi on General AltiMAX* RT43 is twofold. For one factory recommended tire pressure usually is on the low side, especially this *one-pressure-fit-all* recommended tire pressure in the US. Secondly, 34 psi recommended tire pressure is for Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 tire from factory which carries 44 psi maximum inflation pressure but RT43 carries 51 psi maximum inflation pressure. The maximum load for a tire is designed at the maximum inflation pressure of a tire. Each tire with similar load index carries the same weight from the vehicle, hence the tire pressure needs to be higher for those with higher maximum inflation pressure to achieve the optimal performance designed by factory.

Barring ability to test tread pattern via a burnout, I typically inflate to proper handling over bumps in a corner. When the vehicle gets easily jittery, I know I've gone too far. Barring THAT, treadwear.

I presume you mean on dry pavement? How have they done on wet/ice/snow?

I wish t he CX5 had the power to lay some rubber, that's how I used to determine tire-pressure. Read the rubber on the road and adjust accordingly.

If these fail to impress, I'm going back to Continental with their Truecontact.

Anyway, how specifically are the Michelins better? More progressive break-away? More audible and tactile warning? Better rain/snow? How?

To answer your questions:

Does fine on dry and wet pavement. Only caveat is that at least on one freeway (I-225), the tread pattern doesn't play nice with the grooves on the road and it feels like it's pulling side to side. But I haven't had that issue on any other grooved roads so I don't know what's up with that. Couldn't tell you on ice. Haven't driven these on any and don't plan to. Handled some minor snow we got a couple weeks ago. It's been back into warmer weather territory since.

The Michelins were better in that they handled corners better, and they overall felt a bit more responsive. I'm not real in tune with the tire noise so I can't answer that one way or another. The Michelins did great in the snow, but haven't had occasion to try any serious snow with the Altimax.

Only caveat is that at least on one freeway (I-225), the tread pattern doesn't play nice with the grooves on the road and it feels like it's pulling side to side.

Most tires will do that on the "wrong" grooving, bridge grating, etc. Shouldn't dis the tires for that.

Try riding a bike at speed on a grooved road if you want to know what insecure feels like!

Most tires will do that on the "wrong" grooving, bridge grating, etc. Shouldn't dis the tires for that.

Try riding a bike at speed on a grooved road if you want to know what insecure feels like!

Eh...my Michelins and my Blizzaks didn't have a problem on the same road.

Eh...my Michelins and my Blizzaks didn't have a problem on the same road.

Exactly. Different tread patterns will interact differently with different grooves. Your other tires would have likely felt funny on other grooves.
I've never had a car [tires] that didn't pull and feel funny on selected surfaces-- always different.

Exactly. Different tread patterns will interact differently with different grooves. Your other tires would have likely felt funny on other grooves.
I've never had a car [tires] that didn't pull and feel funny on selected surfaces-- always different.

Fair enough, but that was essentially what I said when I stated the groove pattern on the Altimax did not play nice with this freeway.

But outside of that, they have been fine tires.

Well, not today, but a few days ago I applied some tweaks to the infotainment system. Problem is one was not compatible with the latest firmware (70.00.100) causing the whole system to lock up after about a minute of operation.

So today, I disassembled the console to remove the CMU. Installed a replacement unit and made sure it was working correctly. Then reinstalled my old hub, so I could update the firmware to v70. The reinstalled the CP hub and wires, and made sure CarPlay was working correctly. Then reassembled the console.

What a PITA, but it was my own fault.

326ed01ed64c5aff0d871e37f7e07e4b.jpg

6f9905a8cf15f0d543b3d63e68febb3b.jpg

63eac706513911b94f53db79353c0e0b.jpg

002b4b0dbee3eacb569c876ca480e20b.jpg

At least everything works again, including ACP, so the wife and kiddos will be happy with me again.

Last edited:
Washed my car like this (front and one side):
1. Water jet
2. Soap Megs Shampoo
3. Water Jet
4. Soap Megs Shampoo
5. Wash mitt
6. clay with soapy water
7. Wax and Wash from Optimum - spray and dry.

Wanted to add a protectant but nooo - Texas sun and the law that every square inch of texas must be kept green with the hardest water available makes my car a water spot magnet. Need to go the DA route sometime next summer. Till then will repeat for 2nd side of car midweek and call it done!

Washed my car like this (front and one side):
1. Water jet
2. Soap Megs Shampoo
3. Water Jet
4. Soap Megs Shampoo
5. Wash mitt
6. clay with soapy water
7. Wax and Wash from Optimum - spray and dry.

Wanted to add a protectant but nooo - Texas sun and the law that every square inch of texas must be kept green with the hardest water available makes my car a water spot magnet. Need to go the DA route sometime next summer. Till then will repeat for 2nd side of car midweek and call it done!

What about the back?

Back