What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Yeah I did that for years in my own woods, it's very enjoyable being out in the cool weather, the smell of the leaves, etc. Split by hand up til around 2012, I borrowed my buddy's splitter then. But I'm buying everything now -- too old!

I only burn half the wood up til around Thanksgiving, give or take, depending on the weather. Then I switch to coal til Feb-March or so, and then finish the rest of the wood.

Our wood stove is coal capable, but I've never used it. I'd like too but I don't even know where I'd get it in my area. I doubt my neighbors would appreciate it though, but they don't pay my bills.

Back to the subject at hand.

Changed the oil in the CX. Love my homemade ramps!

Our wood stove is coal capable, but I've never used it. I'd like too but I don't even know where I'd get it in my area. I doubt my neighbors would appreciate it though, but they don't pay my bills.

Pics of the ramps please.

Made from leftover deck lumber. (last years pic, no snow here yet thank goodness!)

full

full

Made from leftover deck lumber. (last years pic, no snow here yet thank goodness!)

full

full
And that piece of 2X10 lumber making the homemade ramps isn’t cheap anymore nowadays. It’d cost more than the Rhino ramps I bought several years ago!

Last edited:
So, even though you don't know, you say likely not? Based on what? You think that the plastic that was used in the 90's is the same that they use today?

I've had these 3M edge guards on all of my vehicles since 2016. They remain crystal clear, no yellowing.

YMMV
nope, I don't really know s*** about it I guess. I just think they're tacky, and cheaply made. But hey, that's just like, my opinion, man. :LOL:

Well, it's more overkill, but I found some titanium torx license plate screws for the front.

20230927_171423.jpg

While a would-be thief could potentially remove the plates with a flat head, I'm betting that they'll bring a large one and move on.

I plan to replace the stock battery with an AGM to prevent the probability of an acid leak.

Though I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a new set of Michelin Crossclimate 2s to replace the Yokohama Geolander G91s on a car with only 1100+ miles.

Decisions decisions...

You are assuming soft coal that belches black smoke like the locomotives in the old cowboy movies? Even if it was available I wouldn't bother with it. I have a local shop that sells hard coal (anthracite) that does not smoke at all and no noticeable odor when I'm outside. When I look at the chimney I don't see anything coming out of it, not even heat waves. Heating with hard coal is way superior to wood, but only if it is available locally.

Back to Mazdas: I picked mine up last Halloween, so it is due for NYS inspection next month, so I have an appointment to take it to my local mechanic next Monday (2nd) for inspection, wheel rotation, and first oil/filter change. It has about 6,200 miles on it.

nope, I don't really know s*** about it I guess. I just think they're tacky, and cheaply made. But hey, that's just like, my opinion, man. :LOL:

You don't know s*** about these and have never seen them in person, right? But your opinion is that they are tacky and cheaply made?

Yeah, that makes sense. These things are almost invisible after they're installed. You'd have to look closely for them to even see that they're on the doors.

Last edited:
You are assuming soft coal that belches black smoke like the locomotives in the old cowboy movies? Even if it was available I wouldn't bother with it. I have a local shop that sells hard coal (anthracite) that does not smoke at all and no noticeable odor when I'm outside. When I look at the chimney I don't see anything coming out of it, not even heat waves. Heating with hard coal is way superior to wood, but only if it is available locally.

Back to Mazdas: I picked mine up last Halloween, so it is due for NYS inspection next month, so I have an appointment to take it to my local mechanic next Monday (2nd) for inspection, wheel rotation, and first oil/filter change. It has about 6,200 miles on it.

My only experience with burning coal comes from my time in the Army. I was an armor crewman on a tank and while downrange for two weeks, in Colorado in December, we used coal to heat our 40-man tents. Two potbellied stoves filled with coal and red hot kept the tents warm enough. The coal was stinky and that's all I know. Till one of the idiot privates decided to use gasoline to restart a stove that was still burning. He opened the stove and added a bit of gas, the flame followed the steam up to the can and it burst into flames. The private tossed the can away from himself, flinging flaming gas all over, and stated the tent on fire. The tent, along with all our TA-50 burned up! It wasn't too bad for us, we all got new gear. Not so good for the private!

Reunited with it after 3 months of traveling. Had to be boosted obviously but after driving for an hour it was as if I never left it :)
Got its oil changed at 24000 kilometers on Monday and then drove between Montreal and Toronto a bunch of times since then as I’m moving to Toronto. Picked up a good 2600 kilometers in a week and I’ll be doing the same trip again today.

Reunited with it after 3 months of traveling. Had to be boosted obviously but after driving for an hour it was as if I never left it :)
Got its oil changed at 24000 kilometers on Monday and then drove between Montreal and Toronto a bunch of times since then as I’m moving to Toronto. Picked up a good 2600 kilometers in a week and I’ll be doing the same trip again today.
Driving between Montreal and Toronto? We drove a rental Chevy Impala from Detroit / Toronto to Montreal visiting a friend many years ago. Not only just better highway road conditions we’re impressed, but also using the metric system with km on the highway sigh and liter at the gas pump we needed to adjust.

Last edited:
hope it holds up for you. I've tried PETG 3D printed parts in cars, and they don't hold up to the heat on summer days. Always ends up warping.

I just got my 16' CX5 GT two weeks ago and wasn't really impressed with the cup holder placement/lack of extra cup holders. Anyway, got busy designing/installing an additional cup holder...
This is SOOO funny! The CX-50 has the cupholders right where you added yours and no end of people on the CX-50 forum are bitchin' and moanin' about the placement and wishing they were like the CX-5's!

Personally, nether bothers me, but it so funny to see the differences in folks.

Driving between Montreal and Toronto? We drove a rental Chevy Impala from Detroit / Toronto to Montreal visiting a friend many years ago. Not only just better highway road conditions we’re impressed, but also using the metric system with km on the highway sigh and liter at the gas pump we needed to adjust.
Yeah haha, had to drive a couple of times back and forth. Overall it's one of the better highways to drive on both in terms of the road quality and the average speed people seem to be doing.

Back