What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Decided to install door edge guards.... it's the little things that make her happy. I had a roll left over (purchased from Amazon a couple of years ago) so decided to make use of it.

pixlr_20230924105927363.jpg

Here's a closer look of the edge guard.

20230924_103619.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to install door edge guards.... it's the little things that make her happy. I had a roll left over (purchased from Amazon a couple of years ago) so decided to make use of it.

View attachment 322635

Here's a closer look of the edge guard.

View attachment 322637

To each their own and those edge guards look like they will do a great job of protecting the door edges but man, they're ugly! o_O

Here's what I use and recommend. These guards virtually disappear after installation.

71mCxPuSTFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I can attest to the fact that those 3M guards work well.

Just yesterday I had to change out the edge guard on my Miata passenger door because 'someone' (my wife but she won't admit to it) wasn't watching what she was doing when the door was opened in the garage. The door got banged into a ladder hanging on the wall. The edge guard took the damage and left the paint in perfect condition.

These guards peel off easily and cleanly and are easy to apply. Plus, they stretch a bit so getting them to fit around corners is a snap.

I had those clear edge guards on a car in the 90's. The UV exposure turned them yellow after awhile. Not sure if 3M has improved the material since then. Likely not.

Here's a novel idea: let everyone who rides in your car know that, under penalty of death, they are not to open a door into another car, building, post, etc. You will earn the undying love of others drivers in your community and it will help boost resale value when it's time to sell!

Here's a novel idea: let everyone who rides in your car know that, under penalty of death, they are not to open a door into another car, building, post, etc. You will earn the undying love of others drivers in your community and it will help boost resale value when it's time to sell!

You can try as hard as you want, but sometimes, stuff happens and you can't control what other people do! Case in point..

I've been heating with wood since 1975. Last October I traded my Tacoma in for a CX-5, because I retired in '21 and figured I wouldn't need a truck anymore. But after all those years, not having a truck made me nervous so I bought a 5 x 8 trailer from Tractor Supply in August, and added sides to it.

This is a whole face cord of hardwood from a guy a couple of miles from me. He has a very steep gravel driveway going down to the road, but the whole thing handled just fine going down. On the road I could barely notice the loaded trailer -- which was surprising after having trucks most of my life. I will be getting a few more loads.

Firewood Mazda 9-25-23.jpg

Firewood zz.jpg

I had those clear edge guards on a car in the 90's. The UV exposure turned them yellow after awhile. Not sure if 3M has improved the material since then. Likely not.

So, even though you don't know, you say likely not? Based on what? You think that the plastic that was used in the 90's is the same that they use today?

I've had these 3M edge guards on all of my vehicles since 2016. They remain crystal clear, no yellowing.

YMMV

I've been heating with wood since 1975. Last October I traded my Tacoma in for a CX-5, because I retired in '21 and figured I wouldn't need a truck anymore. But after all those years, not having a truck made me nervous so I bought a 5 x 8 trailer from Tractor Supply in August, and added sides to it.

This is a whole face cord of hardwood from a guy a couple of miles from me. He has a very steep gravel driveway going down to the road, but the whole thing handled just fine going down. On the road I could barely notice the loaded trailer -- which was surprising after having trucks most of my life. I will be getting a few more loads.

View attachment 322677

View attachment 322678

Nice!

How much does a face cord cost in your neck of the woods?

From this guy, mostly white oak and ash, $65. That's about as cheap as it gets.

That's a good price!

I guess when I asked about the price, my coffee had yet to kick in. When you said a 'whole face cord' the 'face' part didn't register and I thought that you were talking about a whole cord.

That's a good price!

I guess when I asked about the price, my coffee had yet to kick in. When you said a 'whole face cord' the 'face' part didn't register and I thought that you were talking about a whole cord.

I never thought I could fit a whole face cord in that trailer, and I didn't know how it would handle the weight either. My Tacoma would take a whole, but I had to stack it; just throwing it in it would only hold about 3/4.

We also heat with wood but not 100%, maybe 50%.

I still cut, split, and haul my own wood (good exercise). Gotta friend who has wooded property that needs to have some trees thinned out, so...

We also heat with wood but not 100%, maybe 50%.

I still cut, split, and haul my own wood (good exercise). Gotta friend who has wooded property that needs to have some trees thinned out, so...
Yeah I did that for years in my own woods, it's very enjoyable being out in the cool weather, the smell of the leaves, etc. Split by hand up til around 2012, I borrowed my buddy's splitter then. But I'm buying everything now -- too old!

I only burn half the wood up til around Thanksgiving, give or take, depending on the weather. Then I switch to coal til Feb-March or so, and then finish the rest of the wood.

Back