What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Got wt all weather mats, cargo tray, vent guards and cupholder coasters coming. Also LED interior bulbs. Takin it in Monday to have roof rails installed and pick up crossbars.....they threw those in on the deal. Got $500 loyalty cash for still having my 20yr old P5. Mudflaps will be next and also precut ceramic tint strip for windshield....then nothing
man you shouldn't have gone with WeatherTech. Other brands have much better designed and better fitting all weather floor liners than WT. I hate the WT's in our car.

I'm more concerned with longevity of that material having water and road grime thrown at it compared to the water shedding of the plastic and i like my sound deadening on the inside where it stays dry. Why just in back instead of both and how many other cars have that in wheel wells?

Personal preference on mats, do wut u do. Never had issue with wt and went with the rubber all weather, not plasticky floor liners. Wife's car so no offroad action like my truck and much better than the oem carpeted ones. I don’t live in snowy area and this won't be a beach car either. I mostly don't want her heels wearing holes in the oems. when something works as good and lasts as long as the 14yr old wt ones in my truck then it might catch my attention. i have tried several other types and brands in other cars and in the end, several do the job quite well. roll with what works.....

Last edited:
Used an existing cargo net with 2 reusable zipties up top leashed to back of seat brackets and existing lower latch points. No interference with seats, easily removable and passengers in back have access to it by folding down center section......free

20230706_151800.jpg
20230706_170240.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced both vanity, all 4 dome/map and cargo bulbs with LED.....license plate lights already LED......done. Couldn't handle the yellow looking last century incandescent bulbs.

Anyone know the point of using underhood insulation for rear wheel well liners instead of plastic like up front?......doesn't make sense to me. Makes me wanna go grab a can of rubberized undercoat spray and make them more water resistant while new and dirt free.
I wondered and worried about the same thing when we first got our 2014 (in 2013). It's been 10 years and over 150K miles, and they are still fine... so I wouldn't' worry.

yeah, saw it covers the whole bottom of the thing, not just the rear wheel wells. just gonna leave it be. thanks for the insight

Got wt all weather mats, ⋯
man you shouldn't have gone with WeatherTech. Other brands have much better designed and better fitting all weather floor liners than WT. I hate the WT's in our car.
I agree. WeatherTech especially the floor liners for the front driver is poorly designed. It covers only a half of the foot rest, and can’t protect the gas pedal base well. Consider the high price they’re really not worth it.

Personal preference on mats, do wut u do. Never had issue with wt and went with the rubber all weather, not plasticky floor liners. Wife's car so no offroad action like my truck and much better than the oem carpeted ones. I don’t live in snowy area and this won't be a beach car either. I mostly don't want her heels wearing holes in the oems. when something works as good and lasts as long as the 14yr old wt ones in my truck then it might catch my attention. i have tried several other types and brands in other cars and in the end, several do the job quite well. roll with what works.....
we don't go off road or deal with snow either. The issue is the poor design of the mats that let a TON of debris get under them, which then gets ground into the carpet, and it's a pain to vaccum it all out. If it weren't for the potential wearing/holes issue, I think it would be easier to clean with just the original carpet mats or even no mats at all.

I've had the OEM Mazda Canada "premium" mats (same as the Maxpider ones) for nearly 5 years. Last year, the mat started showing signs of wear in the area where I rest my heel. I didn't expect them to last forever, so I just installed a kick pedal thing from Aliexpress over the wear area and called it a day. I love these mats because cleaning them is a breeze, and because they catch so much, there isn't much to vacuum from the carpet when they're removed for cleaning.

A full set of OEM 19" rims for $300 CAD? That’s an unbelievable deal! Looks like you got a set of 19” wheels from gen-2 CX-5 for your 2016.5 CX-5, do you have 17” wheels originally? I remember the OEM 19” wheels between gen-1 and gen-2 have different offset. But that shouldn’t matter too much.

The 19" wheels I got were from a 2014 GT model, before they swapped to the "vampire teeth" with the refreshed model. I still have my original 17" wheels, so I'll swap my winter tires to those and sell my old steel set.

I got the 19" set from a retired couple that upgraded to a CX-9, so I honestly don't think they knew what they were worth. The tires were shot, so maybe they assumed that reduced the value of everything. I'm honestly not sure, but needless to say, I was pretty excited about it. I also wasn't surprised when they told me they had a lot of interest in them when I went to pick them up.

The 19" wheels I got were from a 2014 GT model, before they swapped to the "vampire teeth" with the refreshed model. I still have my original 17" wheels, so I'll swap my winter tires to those and sell my old steel set.
Originally known as "pizza pie" wheels!

Originally known as "pizza pie" wheels!
"Pizza Pie" 19” wheels are found on gen-2 2017 and 2018 CX-5 GT’s.

Factory wheels for 2014 CX-5:
6A8ECBC2-4A5E-478D-A5CC-3F864A389B83.jpeg

Factory wheels for 2017 CX-5:
84B06BF9-B78F-46EF-B95D-2B7765DD1795.jpeg

Factory wheels for 2018 CX-5:
E6450071-67AA-439D-8763-4B2A083DA737.jpeg

Used an existing cargo net with 2 reusable zipties up top leashed to back of seat brackets and existing lower latch points. No interference with seats, easily removable and passengers in back have access to it by folding down center section......free

View attachment 320419View attachment 320420
I did something similar on my 2020 which I found on this great forum. I used the net from my 2012 RAV4 which I also used for my 2014 Murano. I just covered the Toyota name so it would not look silly on a Mazda or Nissan! I can even put a couple of grocery bags between the net and the seat backs when the net is full :devilish:

Took a few pics.....set both seat positions in memory, adj hu display and generally syncing up with all the controls and features. CD seems unnoticeable in this vehicle, no starter sounds at traffic lights. Will get a few more pics of all the "ill fittng" wt mats after they get here and of roof rails and crossbars after dealer intalls them.....
20230709_102124.jpg
20230709_102139.jpg
20230709_102213.jpg
20230709_102512.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, guess so....i don't like that start sound at lights and wonder how fast that wears out the starter. i can live with the other. hoping for no issues with cd as some have reported. Not so keen on letting dealership do all maintenance to keep lifetime engine warranty but I guess and hope it'll be OK. definitely will be checking their work. they must build trust......starting with roof rail install tomorrow

OK, here's how bad the wt aw mats fit.....

Drvr frnt...
20230709_171238.jpg
20230709_171002.jpg
20230709_170945.jpg

Pass front......

20230709_171110.jpg
20230709_171049.jpg
20230709_171100.jpg

Rear
20230709_170914.jpg

Cargo....cut slit for latch to pass thru

20230709_170831.jpg
20230709_170819.jpg

I am familiar with the liners covering half of dead pedal. Got the daughter a black dead pedal cover so hers had something there. I know some stuff will get past either liner or aw mat but very small bits of nothing really. We b suburbanites so mostly pavement around so these will be just fine for us.

In my truck the dead pedal is plastic so the floor liner not covering whole thing is ok and they also go out over door sill some. Little to nothing to vacuum up and holding up great for being 14yrs old

Last edited:
Back