What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Picked my car up from the dealer today - I brought it in yesterday due to a rattle from the drivers footwell. I’d been trying to figure out what it was and how to fix it for a couple months, hoping that the warm season would dispel the rattle.

So anyways, they took lots of stuff off/apart such as the dash piece under the vents, the footwell pieces, the steering wheel, etc. They showed me a picture (at my request) but said they couldn’t send it sadly. It looked insane though! So many removed pieces just for a little rattle! Thankfully they found it though, twas a tube of some sort that was loose. Free of charge under warranty and a car wash, I call that a win!

Picked my car up from the dealer today - I brought it in yesterday due to a rattle from the drivers footwell. I’d been trying to figure out what it was and how to fix it for a couple months, hoping that the warm season would dispel the rattle.

So anyways, they took lots of stuff off/apart such as the dash piece under the vents, the footwell pieces, the steering wheel, etc. They showed me a picture (at my request) but said they couldn’t send it sadly. It looked insane though! So many removed pieces just for a little rattle! Thankfully they found it though, twas a tube of some sort that was loose. Free of charge under warranty and a car wash, I call that a win!

I'd call that a win as well!

I, personally, would have skipped the car wash. You ever watch those guys at the dealership wash a car?

I'd call that a win as well!

I, personally, would have skipped the car wash. You ever watch those guys at the dealership wash a car?
I haven't seen, but honestly I don't have the money, time, or driveway to take excellent care of my cx-5's paint (ceramic wrap, extensive self wash routines, etc) I just try to avoid the washes where all the brushes and such scratch the paint. Later in life in a handful of years if my car's paint is still in pretty good shape I'll adopt better paint care habits! What have you seen the dealers do while washing cars though? (😧 Scary)

I haven't seen, but honestly I don't have the money, time, or driveway to take excellent care of my cx-5's paint (ceramic wrap, extensive self wash routines, etc) I just try to avoid the washes where all the brushes and such scratch the paint. Later in life in a handful of years if my car's paint is still in pretty good shape I'll adopt better paint care habits! What have you seen the dealers do while washing cars though? (😧 Scary)

I've never had any of my cars washed at a dealership, they have offered, I declined.

I personally have witnessed, on more than one occasion, the person washing the car dropping the rag/sponge/mitt on the ground and picking it back up and continuing to wash the car as if nothing had happened. I've also seen them grabbing an old rag out of a filthy bucket and using that to wash a brand-new car. I can only imagine what goes on where no one can see what they're doing.

You don't need all that much time to take proper car of your car. You do have to make some time though, but that's just me.

I've never had any of my cars washed at a dealership, they have offered, I declined.

I personally have witnessed, on more than one occasion, the person washing the car dropping the rag/sponge/mitt on the ground and picking it back up and continuing to wash the car as if nothing had happened. I've also seen them grabbing an old rag out of a filthy bucket and using that to wash a brand-new car. I can only imagine what goes on where no one can see what they're doing.

You don't need all that much time to take proper car of your car. You do have to make some time though, but that's just me.
You can’t escape the first clean / wash by the car dealer and if the guy washing the brand new car doesn’t follow the guideline, some kind of paint damage may have already been done.

I’m the one really don’t like wash and wax the car. So I choose silver exterior color for all of my new vehicles I have purchased. Silver color is the best to hide the dirt, and I keep the car outside and let the natural (rain) to wash the car clean. This strategy actually burned me once as the rain with unexpected golf ball-sized hail did a severe damage to my CX-5! 😲😲☹️

Last edited:
I hand wash my vehicles at least once a week and they are stored inside when not being driven. I wax probably 6 to 8 times a year with a carnuba wax. I use plenty of soapy water and my vehicles always look like new. I have lost count of the new vehicles I have had but it is embarrassingly excessive as I started driving in the early 70's and rarely have kept a vehicle longer than 2 years 3 years is max. I found white and different shades of silver/gray are best for hiding swirl marks, black and dark blues the worst. When I was in my 20's I loved black vehicles but now in my 60's I stick to white and silver.

Brought home this new (to us) 2022 Mazda Certified Signature. Love the Caturra Nappa leather seats and the added features vs our previous “Turbo”. Headed down to Nashville Wednesday for its first road trip.

Attachments

• 37878C3B-61C0-4FEF-B312-50E89315C9E4.jpeg
    37878C3B-61C0-4FEF-B312-50E89315C9E4.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 1517E9E3-76C7-463D-B673-B94647431E15.jpeg
    1517E9E3-76C7-463D-B673-B94647431E15.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 27EB03EF-7EA3-421B-93F8-F3441E0C24B8.jpeg
    27EB03EF-7EA3-421B-93F8-F3441E0C24B8.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 63
777C025F-E538-447F-A7B8-0C8AEF06FDCA.jpeg
I tint the heck out of my 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT this week… it was metering 28% on the privacy glass so applied 20% VLT over top of that… well now we are well under 10% rear windows and lift gate… I’ll let you use you imagination what % went on the front but let’s just say it’s a little dim at night and very cold inside… lol.

When I rotate the wheels on my cars, since the wheels are off, I always take the opportunity to wash and wax the wheels, inside the wheels and out.
yep that would have been nice, but I wanted to go ahead and get it done since I had been putting it off for a couple of months.

I found some clearcoat failure on a couple of these wheels in several places, so waxing at this point is probably a lost cause.

yep that would have been nice, but I wanted to go ahead and get it done since I had been putting it off for a couple of months.

I found some clearcoat failure on a couple of these wheels in several places, so waxing at this point is probably a lost cause.

Waxing is never a lost cause. It'll help to keep stuff from sticking to your wheels at least.

Tire rotation time! Fronts to rear, rears cross over to the front opposite sides.

View attachment 318995
What’s that stuff on top of your CX-5’s roof? It looks like hitting your garage ceiling?

I got lazy for the last several years, and I just take my CX-5 to Discount Tire for free tire rotation. I do re-torque all lug nuts with my torque wrench afterwards.

And your garage looks very nice and clean too! (y)

If you’re contemplating adding sound deadening throughout (especially the inner skins of the doors) well… just know it’s a ridiculous amount of work which involves removing the windows and window regulator to get in there and do it properly… hating life right now! Lol

446A844E-26D5-449C-BC20-4A035EBB3565.jpeg

What’s that stuff on top of your CX-5’s roof? It looks like hitting your garage ceiling?

I got lazy for the last several years, and I just take my CX-5 to Discount Tire for free tire rotation. I do re-torque all lug nuts with my torque wrench afterwards.

And your garage looks very nice and clean too! (y)

huh? there's nothing on the car's roof. Maybe you're seeing my Miata hard top suspended above the foreground parking stall. :ROFLMAO:

Believe me, the garage is a clutter disaster area. I just so happen to keep the clutter pushed out enough to fit 2 (smaller) cars in there. CX5 and Miata.

Changed the oil on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD yesterday. It’s been 14 months and 5,482 miles since the last oil change. The red wrench indicator and “Oil change due” message had been on for 2 months as expected since I use “Flexible” maintenance schedule. But we’re out of town so that’s why the delay.

My 2.5L NA will consume about a half quart of oil for about 5,000 miles. And I always put in about 5.25 quarts of fresh Mazda moly 0W-20 oil and OEM Tokyo Roki oil filter then recheck the oil level the next morning making sure the oil level is at the Full mark. I was thinking to switch to the 5W-30 oil for the next oil change and see if the oil consumption would be less.

Before:
314823E7-5B65-42DE-A6E8-1F715F5090D2.jpeg

D9696CDE-7974-46EA-B614-E09D80A8B139.jpeg

After:
FD44C743-ED20-4EB2-9219-61CB66576F41.jpeg

82BA9241-AF30-4526-B34A-5B00C1A69B47.jpeg

Last edited:
Back