What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Nice! šŸ‘
Did you pay a shop or do the wrap yourself? How much did it cost?
I installed them myself, It's not wrapped, it's stainless steel coated in lacquer piano black paint covering the original trim with 3m tape. Perfect fit. I bought the 6pc kit just to cover the chrome parts since the top are already black.. It was at the time 80 bucks shipped.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 108
I installed them myself, It's not wrapped, it's stainless steel coated in lacquer piano black paint covering the original trim with 3m tape. Perfect fit. I bought the 6pc kit just to cover the chrome parts since the top are already black.. It was at the time 80 bucks shipped.
Thats's great. Thanks for sharing. See they have 3 options for carbon fiber, bright black and the matching black. Did you get shipped to Europe or America?

Installed wireless charging dock and wireless Android Auto as well.

That empty cigarette lighter void is now more useful.
20220622_115635.jpg

Thanks to this little gem, The Motorola MA1, I can now do Android Auto in wireless mode no longer needing that stupid USB cable running inside the main console storage to run it. Clean setup.
20220622_115625.jpg

20220622_115708.jpg

Where did you get the dock from and how did you install?
It plugs into the cigarette lighter and just sit the rest on top, there are 3M tape on the sides of the product to keep it in place, i did not do that it's pretty snug once you sit it properly, that's all you have to do. Bought it from here took 10 days to get it to the U.S. 65.24C$ 30% OFF|For Mazda Cx-5 Car Wireless Charging Board 2017-2021 Mobile Phone Qi Wireless Charger Cigarette Lighter Modification - Battery Charging Units - AliExpress Also it works and fits in the 2022 Model which is the photos in the last post.

Had my first oil change done at 8300kms. Full synthetic oil, oil filter etc. at the dealership -> $110 Canadian taxes in but I have two free oil changes so it ended up being free. Was in and out in less than an hour.
Ended up updating my Wireless CarPlay adapter and it's now significantly more stable. Connects in less than 20 seconds and I haven't noticed any odd behaviour like cutting off or the home button not working.
I'm thinking about getting the front windows tinted (not the windshield) but I can't match them with rear windows because of tint laws in Quebec. And I don't know if this is possible, but potentially the sunroof. I can't use the sunroof when it's sunny because it does more harm than good.

... And I don't know if this is possible, but potentially the sunroof. I can't use the sunroof when it's sunny because it does more harm than good...
You can most definitely tint the sunroof and I highly recommend it. Use a quality ceramic film for maximum heat rejection. Your choice of preference for how much light comes through. I used Llumar CTX 50% ceramic on my sunroof and front side windows and their Air80 product on the front windshield. Great heat rejection.

You can most definitely tint the sunroof and I highly recommend it. Use a quality ceramic film for maximum heat rejection. Your choice of preference for how much light comes through. I used Llumar CTX 50% ceramic on my sunroof and front side windows and their Air80 product on the front windshield. Great heat rejection.
Thanks for the reply. I called a tint shop that didn't really want to do the sunroof, saying it "will be too black". They use SunGard.
Called another one thinking they do Llumar - apparently they switched to XPEL. Got a quote that's the same as SunGard, I'll go on Wednesday to see my options.
So the front windows, I'm thinking of going as dark as legally possible (70% of the light has to pass through). For the sunroof, do you find 50% to be too dark?

Otherwise yeah, seems like all decent tints offer 99% UV protection; got to maximize IR and heat rejection.

So the front windows, I'm thinking of going as dark as legally possible (70% of the light has to pass through). For the sunroof, do you find 50% to be too dark?
I have done six of my family fleet vehicles with AIR80 windshield, 50% CTX all other glass and sunroof with great results. If you use quality ceramic films, they all have great UV and IR/heat rejection regardless of how dark it is (darker is slightly better but even the clear products block UV / IR well). The tint shade is more about legality / privacy / appearance preference than performance of the film.

I think you would be very happy with 50% on your sunroof. It's just the right amount of light coming through.

For your windshield, also consider driving at night. That Llumar AIR80 product I use spec is 77% IIRC, which works well. I would think anything above 70% should be fine.

The older vehicles I had done in 2015 (when they were new) have 7 years service on them now and no issues with peeling/fading/flaking etc. 100% performance. 100% satisfaction.

I have done six of my family fleet vehicles with AIR80 windshield, 50% CTX all other glass and sunroof with great results. If you use quality ceramic films, they all have great UV and IR/heat rejection regardless of how dark it is (darker is slightly better but even the clear products block UV / IR well). The tint shade is more about legality / privacy / appearance preference than performance of the film.

I think you would be very happy with 50% on your sunroof. It's just the right amount of light coming through.

For your windshield, also consider driving at night. That Llumar AIR80 product I use spec is 77% IIRC, which works well. I would think anything above 70% should be fine.

The older vehicles I had done in 2015 (when they were new) have 7 years service on them now and no issues with peeling/fading/flaking etc. 100% performance. 100% satisfaction.
Thanks for the reply! I am getting the front windows (35%) and the sunroof (50%) tinted tomorrow. 35% for front windows is technically illegal but apparently "tolerated." Not as dark as the rear windows, and you can still see the interior of the car from the outside. I don't really care about how dark the tint is, but I do want to match the rear windows without being too illegal.

My dad would only get Llumar tints for our cars, and to be honest we have never had any issues. I went with XPEL Prime XR instead of the CTX as one, the XR seems to have slightly better specs and two, it seems like the better Llumar dealer/installers in my area switched to XPEL. Both offer similar warranties (XPEL lets you transfer the warranty to the new owner, Llumar doesn't -- but that's not really an issue for me)

The windshield is tempting. On one side, I get annoyed when I am driving toward the sun and/or when there is oncoming traffic at night with their high beams on. There were also several cars at the tint shop with tinted windshields. On the other side, I am not sure about visibility (even with 80%) and legality. I guess I'll see once I get the front windows + sunroof tinted.

@mrplt if you are looking for heat /uv rejection, definitely get the windshield done. It's probably the most import window to do. It's no problem seeing through it at night.

@mrplt if you are looking for heat /uv rejection, definitely get the windshield done. It's probably the most import window to do. It's no problem seeing through it at night.
Iā€™m convinced. Getting the windshield done too.
Fresh out of the shop: 70% windshield, 35% front sides, 50% sunroof XPEL Prime XR
Thanks again @HyFlyer

Before:
IMG_4685.jpeg

After:
E2318AC0-B4EB-441F-A625-1076E9E1218C.jpeg

Windshield:
17A48622-B98E-4755-8194-C6CD40DF5DBC.jpeg

Last edited:
Honestly, the difference between front to rear is very minimal post-tint. Looks like they did a great job!

@mrplt Oooooo, I missed your added pics. Nice.

Now you're ruined. You'll get used to the blocked UV / IR rays and you don't really even notice anymore. Then one day, you'll have a rental or a loaner or be riding in someone else's car and feel your skin cooking! THAT'S when you notice how nice the tint is ... When it's gone. :p

There is also a safety aspect to window tint. In the event of a broken window (or sunroof) , it helps to keep you from getting a broken glass shower. My daughter had a piece of metal fly off an oncoming pickup truck and shattered her driver side window. The tint held it together and in place instead of blowing in on her face.

Latest posts

Back