What have you done to your CX-5 today?

You can always go to Discount Tire (or America’s Tire in Bay Area, NorCal) to fix the flat for free even if you have stock tires.

You also want to make sure the tire is removed from the rim and patch the hole from inside. If the tire won’t get re-balanced after the flat repair, you can ask the tire shop to mark the tire and rim before removal, and install the tire at the same position aligning the marks on the tire and rim.
Sadly, don't have a DT local. Have bought plenty of tires from them online in the past though.

This is the sixth or seventh tire I have had this shop plug/patch (my wife is notorious for finding screws, nails, pieces of metal). Have never had an issue with any of their repairs and one was on our old CX-5. My indy wouldn't touch it because it was in the outer tread. This place fixed it and we had the car antoher 2.5yrs and the tire never once lost pressure.

Dumped a bottle of SeaFoam Fuel Injector cleaner in the good ole 2013 CX-5 at about half tank and ran through low tank.

No difference felt. Gonna try the CRC intake valve cleaner soon.

Sadly, don't have a DT local. Have bought plenty of tires from them online in the past though.

This is the sixth or seventh tire I have had this shop plug/patch (my wife is notorious for finding screws, nails, pieces of metal). Have never had an issue with any of their repairs and one was on our old CX-5. My indy wouldn't touch it because it was in the outer tread. This place fixed it and we had the car antoher 2.5yrs and the tire never once lost pressure.
The approved method to patch the hole on tire is from inside and the plug won’t get loose by constant air pressure pushing outward. A plug from outside facing the constant air pressure and it’ll easily get loose been pushing outward all the time. A friend of mine used a plug from outside to a flat tire by a shop on her 2018 Toyota Camry. She got TPMS warning after a year. She took the Camry to Discount Tire and found the plug had developed slow leak. But they refused to fix the stock tire from inside as the tire had been fixed by an unapproved method. She ended up paid $220 getting a new (and the same) tire as the car had only 1,800 miles at the time.

The approved method to patch the hole on tire is from inside and the plug won’t get loose by constant air pressure pushing outward. A plug from outside facing the constant air pressure and it’ll easily get loose been pushing outward all the time. A friend of mine used a plug from outside to a flat tire by a shop on her 2018 Toyota Camry. She got TPMS warning after a year. She took the Camry to Discount Tire and found the plug had developed slow leak. But they refused to fix the stock tire from inside as the tire had been fixed by an unapproved method. She ended up paid $220 getting a new (and the same) tire as the car had only 1,800 miles at the time.

I learned that in another country (UK, Canada?) that outside plugs are not used.

Although I do carry outside plugs for emergency use while in the middle of nowhere...I don't use them 99% of the time.

If I notice I've got a nail/screw in the tire and its causing a leak I keep/use rubber cement (keep a tube stashed in trunk). I let it cure a bit then inflate tire with my inflator. Schedule appointment at DT to properly make the repair with an inside patch. I remove the rubber cement with a pick prior to the appointment.

My custom mobile emergency kit includes is a tube of rubber cement, Milwaukee cordless inflator, cordless impact wrench, breaker bar, torque wrench, cordless Milwaukee lantern.

Agree with everything you stated. This shop has done both types for me and I am sure others over the years and I have never had an issue with either type of repair. I will monitor this tire closely over the next few weeks to see if I notice any increased loss of PSI compared to the other three and go from there.

I pulled and inspected to MAF to my surprise the actual sensor and the film surrounding it looks brand new. (CX-5 @130k miles and Mazda6 @84K). I went ahead and cleaned them anyways with CRC MAF cleaner.

I do have an AEM DryFlow filter in each car since brand new. I credit the fact I cleaned them upon each oil change. I decided on using this product since there's no oils used (like a K&N) and I was able to clean/reuse it periodically or as needed. Especially after a dust storm in the desert.

Have plugged numerous tires over the last 15+ years or so, maybe 20 tires? I bought a kit with I think 30 plugs plus the tools, years ago, and have used about half of them plus the previous 5 pack I had before that.

Never a single issue, except for that one time I had a low-profile tire punctured within an inch of the sidewall. That one kept leaking, and it wasn't able to be patched either so I had to replace that tire anyway. But other than that, never a single issue on any other tire ever. Integra, Corolla, Miata, CX-5 have all had plugs put in by me.

People always poo-poo on plugging tires, when it's really not a big deal at all.

Have plugged numerous tires over the last 15+ years or so, maybe 20 tires? I bought a kit with I think 30 plugs plus the tools, years ago, and have used about half of them plus the previous 5 pack I had before that.

Never a single issue, except for that one time I had a low-profile tire punctured within an inch of the sidewall. That one kept leaking, and it wasn't able to be patched either so I had to replace that tire anyway. But other than that, never a single issue on any other tire ever. Integra, Corolla, Miata, CX-5 have all had plugs put in by me.

People always poo-poo on plugging tires, when it's really not a big deal at all.
Plugging the nail hole from outside usually won’t have problems but you’ve to admit putting a patch from inside is a safer and better method to repair the flat tire and that’s the only way approved by the tire industry. If you’re trying to have any warranty claim on your tire, you won’t get any if they found a plug. Besides, I can use this better way patching from inside to fix the flat for free at Discount Tire, why not?

My post is also trying to warn people that Discount Tire won’t fix any tires which has been plugged before. It’d be better off just take the flat to a DT for free flat repair whenever you have a flat.

Sometimes you do what you have to do to get out of a bad situation. Plug a tire from outside so you're not stuck in the boonies for hours on end, waiting for a tow truck. Or put the spare on the front axle so you can get out of high-speed traffic as soon as possible.

Paying $220 for a new tire sucks. Waiting who knows how long for a tow and paying $XXX for that tow also sucks. Pick your poison.

for me it's not worth the hassle of getting a tire patched, and for my Miata and Integra, which no one else works on but me, it's even more of a hassle to swap wheels back and forth.

Also, that one tire that was punctured close to the edge of the tire, which I plugged multiple times, and then had a Gateway Tire take it off and tell me they couldn't patch it anyway... I purchased that tire through DTD, with their free tire replacement certificates. They sent me another tire right out, and I only had to pay the cost of another free replacement certificate.

Window tint. Xpel XR, 30% front 2 windows and 70% for the rear including the back windshield.

Attachments

• Tint.jpeg
    Tint.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 111
Tried to fill up gas up Costco. Crazy long lines. Must be the whole Ukraine/Russia thing.

Filled up at Shell Instead.
Yes, I went to my Costco for some errands and prescriptions on Tuesday and the entrance which is routed into the gas station area was overflowed to the road and no cars could get in! I’ve never seen so many cars waiting for the gas at the Costco in our area before. This’s even worse than usually very crowed Costco gas stations in Bay Area (San Jose)!

I use only Shell gas for my CX-5 and BMW 528i here in Dallas area since the Shell gas is not much more expensive (usually ~20¢ more per gallon) than the Costco gas and the gas price is at least $1 cheaper than in San Jose and I feel the Shell gas is not too expensive.

Wife just filled up the Shell regular gas for her CX-5 on Tuesday on the way to work risking the icy road condition with possibly freezing rain falling. It was $3.21 per gallon. Strangely it’s now $3.15 per gallon today at the same Shell gas station, although I thought the price should be going up as the Costco gas nearby is now $3.07 per gallon. 🤷‍♂️

FYI, at Shell only the Premium has the V power cleaner.

That’s why I use Chevron, it has Techron in the 87.
“Shell Gasoline is scientifically proven to help improve your mileage.* With more than twice the cleaning agents required by the Environmental Protection Agency, all three grades of Shell Gasoline help improve your vehicle’s fuel economy by actively cleaning and protecting critical engine parts from performance-robbing gunk. Shell Gasoline is also certified TOP TIER™, a higher standard for engine cleanliness and performance set by auto manufacturers.

WHY SHOULD YOU USE SHELL GASOLINE?

All grades of Shell Gasoline provide unsurpassed protection against gunk. Gunk is another name for carbon deposits that can build up in engines running on lower quality gasolines and act like a sponge in your engine, absorbing and trapping gasoline, and making combustion less efficient. Industry data indicates and car manufacturers recognize that a clean engine is more fuel-efficient, produces fewer emissions and allows vehicles to perform at their best. Shell Gasoline contains a patented cleaning system that actively cleans intake valves and fuel injectors and protects against future build up. No other gasoline protects better against gunk!”

SHELL GASOLINE

However,

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline is engineered with four levels of defense against gunk, corrosion, wear and friction to help keep your engine running like new.* This patented formula is our best, most advanced fuel ever. It’s no wonder that BMW M recommends Shell V-Power NiTRO+ and that it’s been the official fuel of Car and Driver and Road & Track magazines for more than ten years.”

Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline

ah yes, I run Shell 93 premium in my Integra and Miata. I tried an experiement on our CX5 to see if there was any fuel economy benefit to running 93 octane due to the Skyactiv's higher compression. Didn't really see a difference so I went back to Shell 87.

Updated Navigation data this morning from 2020 Q2 to 2020 Q4. There is a particular road here in Montreal that has been one-way for more than a year due to construction. Hopefully the GPS will stop trying to navigate me through there thinking it's a 2-way street.

Also filled up from Shell yesterday. My credit card gives me 6% back at Shell so it's slightly cheaper than Costco and I don't have to wait in line.

PS: I didn't wanna create a new thread for this, but is there any way to get SiriusXM Fuel Prices on my phone? I tried apps like GasBuddy, they're not nearly as accurate.

Last edited:
Back