Page 392 of 395 FirstFirst ... 292342382390391392393394 ... LastLast
Results 5,866 to 5,880 of 5915

Thread: What Did You Do for Your CX-5 Today?

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Is the filter REALLY a restriction on a 6100ish rpm redline 2.5L engine? Call me doubtful. I've had cars making nearly 300% this much power, and at 1000rpm higher, and their filters weren't much larger.
    Power aside, all engines were designed to operate with a clean filter. Otherwise manufacturers would sell us some lifetime filter crap

Besides engines are just like vacuums. Should the vacuum filter be clogged you lose suction/power.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    For me it is more a convenience than a power mod (which it isn't). Washable means I don't have to keep buying new paper air filters. If it helps the engine breathe better, that is a bonus.
    Same here for my Integra. An OE-style paper replacement filter is like $30-$35, or it was 15+ years ago, and for me back then that was just too much. I spent a few bucks more on a K&N filter to put in the stock airbox, and today I still have the same filter on the car, 17 years and around 275,000 miles later. I haven't yet looked into washable filters for the CX-5 yet. A Fram replacement doesn't cost all that much.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 366K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 84K miles, the family hauler!

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

For me it is more a convenience than a power mod (which it isn't). Washable means I don't have to keep buying new paper air filters. If it helps the engine breathe better, that is a bonus.
    I don't trust washing to remove the small particulate that truly harms an engine and/or cuts down on flow rates in a filter year after year when you get it wet, etc. It's also very fast for me to just change out the filter, and I'm more about my time. Oilable filters are the worst, though. My favorites are replaceable synthetics like the Cosworth filters, although I don't think they make them for the CX5.

What is this "small particulate that truly harms the engine" nonsense? Any particles able to actually get through a filter are not going to harm your engine unless the filter is damaged.
    I'm with you on the time thing having just replaced my filter with an oem.
    If it actually truly benefitted the engine, like add a foot pound or three I'd use aftermarket but otherwise. Nah.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I don't trust washing to remove the small particulate that truly harms an engine and/or cuts down on flow rates in a filter year after year when you get it wet, etc. It's also very fast for me to just change out the filter, and I'm more about my time. Oilable filters are the worst, though. My favorites are replaceable synthetics like the Cosworth filters, although I don't think they make them for the CX5.
    How so? I have 275,000 miles on an "oilable" filter, with 365,000 miles on the engine.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

If the "small particulate" that is stuck on the filter, doesn't get washed off when I wash the filter, wouldn't it still stay stuck on the filter when I put the filter back on the car? It won't all of a sudden be able to go through the filter and into the engine. Anyway, if you wash it correctly, dirt will never get to the clean side of the filter that faces the throttle body.

I agree, time is money. The faster you can change the air filter, the better. In my case, it takes me the same amount of time to remove the AEM filter and replace it with the OEM filter. True, I lose some time, maybe 10 minutes washing the AEM filter, but i'm also saving money since I didn't buy a new OEM filter. I spend some more time again, putting back the clean AEM filter. The question then becomes, is the time spent removing, washing/cleaning and putting back the AEM filter, worth the price of a new OEM filter? The answer is totally relative to how you want to spend your time and money.

By the way, the AEM dry-flow filter doesn't need to be oiled.
    Last edited by finch204; 11-09-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    What is this "small particulate that truly harms the engine" nonsense? Any particles able to actually get through a filter are not going to harm your engine unless the filter is damaged.
    I'm with you on the time thing having just replaced my filter with an oem.
    If it actually truly benefitted the engine, like add a foot pound or three I'd use aftermarket but otherwise. Nah.
    It's the small silica particles that really damage the engine. The ones that are too small for the oil filter to pick up. You lose a massive amount of filtration ability with something like a K&N to pick up a very tiny amount of power (if any, vehicles vary, this test does show a noted improvement, but not enough for me to give up @40% filtration ability)
    https://ac.els-cdn.com/S221201731630...bd477df18dd0fd

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

If the "small particulate" that is stuck on the filter, doesn't get washed off when I wash the filter, wouldn't it still stay stuck on the filter when I put the filter back on the car? It won't all of a sudden be able to go through the filter and into the engine. Anyway, if you wash it correctly, dirt will never get to the clean side of the filter that faces the throttle body.

I agree, time is money. The faster you can change the air filter, the better. In my case, it takes me the same amount of time to remove the AEM filter and replace it with the OEM filter. True, I lose some time, maybe 10 minutes washing the AEM filter, but i'm also saving money since I didn't buy a new OEM filter. I spend some more time again, putting back the clean AEM filter. The question then becomes, is the time spent removing, washing/cleaning and putting back the AEM filter, worth the price of a new OEM filter? The answer is totally relative to how you want to spend your time and money.

By the way, the AEM dry-flow filter doesn't need to be oiled.
    Yes, it should stay in the filter, but that just clogs it.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    How so? I have 275,000 miles on an "oilable" filter, with 365,000 miles on the engine.
    Gets all over the MAF wires, etc. Your teggy may just not be as sensitive to that issue as some, or maybe you do a super awesome job re-oiling. I dunno. just not something I want to mess with.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

It was yesterday but I put my new snowshoes on- stock 17 size Michelin Xi2s. So far they are very impressive- super quiet, vg in rain (found that out today) and getting way better FE than my old slightly wider and taller Dunlop Wintersports. They don't handle quite as good (expected) and they ride firmer than I thought(fine) but I also expect better snow performance- overall just a better fit for the vehicle and very happy so far. I'll post a more in depth review when I have some miles on them in the W/T section..
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTMFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +nice house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Its got 4drs, I like it, fast enough and it still does donuts, e-steering won't let me love it

2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring with PP

Put my snows on today. Plastidipped alloys off a Toyota Highlander. Really like the look with my Eternal Blue Mica.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbin628 View Post
    Put my snows on today. Plastidipped alloys off a Toyota Highlander. Really like the look with my Eternal Blue Mica.

I'm getting closer to putting my snows on too. I was in my first mountain dusting yesterday.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 45K Miles

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin628 View Post
    I can’t make out your tire size. Are they really 225/65/17? Wheel gap looks crazy excessive... unless it’s just the photo...

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    I can*t make out your tire size. Are they really 225/65/17? Wheel gap looks crazy excessive... unless it*s just the photo...
    My first reaction as well. Almost looks like 16s in that shot.

2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring with PP

They're 225/65R17 but I definitely see what you're saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    My first reaction as well. Almost looks like 16s in that shot.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Flat tire on Sundays suck. Discount Tires is closed

Removed screw from rear driver side tire. Plugged it. Trimmed excess. Put air in tire. Works!!!

Page 392 of 395 FirstFirst ... 292342382390391392393394 ... LastLast