What have you done to your CX-5 today?

That's exactly why I use a pinch weld adapter for this vehicle. A must have. Toyota/Lexus used an idiotic design for the pinch welds on the 02-06 Lexus ES, so they definitely showed some damage on my car after 10 years. Mazda uses three layers of steel bonded together, which is stronger, but I like using this adapter which lets the metal sit on a UHMW pad backed by aluminum. Pinch welds still look great.

I don't think Chris is talking about pinch weld fatigue. I think the metal fatigue he's talking about is the OEM black metal brace in the pic. Likely due to how hard he drives his car. Taking turns aggressively, launches, hard stops, etc. The OEM brace can only take so much, so he's reinforcing it with the new goodies.

Pinch weld adapter isn't necessary. If you're using a floor/garage jack, jack it up at the two designated jacking areas found in the manual. It's faster, more stable, and a lot harder to **** up. After seeing the video below (which I think I may have posted before), I'm sticking to the designated jack points (and 2x4s to drive up on if my car is too low for the jack to fit underneath). Skip to 3:30. Pinch welds should only be used for jacking in emergency situations.

To be fair, the guy did a ton of things wrong, though. Used two hockey pucks, going by what his hand felt instead of using his eyes, continuing to jack the car up even after hearing unusual noises.. yikes. And he was using a pinch weld adapter too.

For putting on brake pads or fixing a tire I would jack it up on the pinch weld with an adapter. For rotating the tires I would jack it up from the designated spots and have the car on 4 jack stands on the four pinch welds, with adapters. I don't want to scratch the metal.

Oh okay, were you just talking about reinforcing the chassis in general then? Or are you referring to metal fatigue at the pinch welds?

Reinforcing in general which also affects cornering performance but also protects integrity

Changed oil、rotated tires to my 2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD this afternoon taking advantage of 71F warm weather!
Currently at 39,332 miles, the Mazda moly 0W-20 oil ran 5,425 miles since last oil change. Oil life is 30% on flexible. The engine burned about quart of oil and the oil level was at above the Add mark on dipstick. Put in 5.3 quarts of Mazda moly 0W-20 oil this time instead of 5 quarts and Japanese OEM oil filter.

OE Toyo A23s have about 3/32 tread left on all 4. Theyre going to get replaced very soon by cheap Radar Dimax AS-8s bought earlier.

We gave our GT-R her first play day in the snow, an overnight, 160 mile round trip to the Grand Canyon for a Christmas Eve dinner with Mrs. Rockethead. We brought her home today after two days on icy roads and in blowing snow and she performed wonderfully all the way wearing her OEM tires. We think we'll keep her. BTW, the Grand Canyon was magical today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Grand Canyon Christmas Day 2019-1.JPG
    Grand Canyon Christmas Day 2019-1.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 424
  • Grand Canyon Christmas Day 2019-4.JPG
    Grand Canyon Christmas Day 2019-4.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 418
  • Mazda after Grand Canyon on Christmas Day (1).JPG
    Mazda after Grand Canyon on Christmas Day (1).JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 411
Assistance Please!
So, my newest '13 didn't have nav, but I did take the unit from my other '13 when I totaled it. I installed it just as I did in my previous '13, but went to connect the antenna wire at the Bluetooth module and it isn't there. I just assumed it was tucked away elsewhere and haven't really cared that much to look, but yesterday I decided to get it completed. Well, it isn't there, like, I cannot find the harness. It was there on the other '13, the GPS antenna is there under the speaker grille, but the harness connector that you would remove from the Bluetooth module and connect isn't there. Are all vehicles pre-wired? I would imagine so- why else would the antenna be there? Any advice of where to look? Surely I can't be overlooking it.

Finally got around to installing an aftermarket backup camera on my 13’ with stock head unit. I wish the car had that from the factory and I’m glad I got to remedy it. Added Diode Dynamics red led footwell light kit too. Very impressed with the quality. Hid the switch for it in the center console and used the accessory socket in there to power it. Next project will be sound deadening next year.

Pretty
Finally got around to installing an aftermarket backup camera on my 13’ with stock head unit. I wish the car had that from the factory and I’m glad I got to remedy it. Added Diode Dynamics red led footwell light kit too. Very impressed with the quality. Hid the switch for it in the center console and used the accessory socket in there to power it. Next project will be sound deadening next year.
Cool. Did you attempt to hook those lights into the door switches?

No, I didn’t. I had a hard enough time figuring out an easy spot to tie into a 12V supply lol! If I were to do anything else, it would be to add a dimmer switch to the lights to adjust the brightness to taste. I installed it as I will be driving home after 11pm with my new job and I really like the red illumination in the car while driving. My wife absolutely hates these lights so the switch to turn them on and off based on who is driving the car was a necessity :D

Changed out my rear pads after I noticed one was trashed while changing my diff. Likely the slider was stuck, I cleaned and greased all of them, but I noticed both boots are ripped. Was short on time so omgonns do the fronts later. Also bought new (oem) plugs to put in but I'm gonna use some heal cleaner before I do that. Already put G2P in the tank.

Changed out my rear pads after I noticed one was trashed while changing my diff. Likely the slider was stuck, I cleaned and greased all of them, but I noticed both boots are ripped. Was short on time so omgonns do the fronts later. Also bought new (oem) plugs to put in but I'm gonna use some heal cleaner before I do that. Already put G2P in the tank.

The caliper boots or the slider in boots?

Caliper boots = Rockauto sells the these boots. They fit/work perfect upon replacing a ripped Caliper boot.

Slider boots = Rockauto also sells them however my aftermarket pads came with new ones :).

The caliper boots or the slider in boots?

Caliper boots = Rockauto sells the these boots. They fit/work perfect upon replacing a ripped Caliper boot.

Slider boots = Rockauto also sells them however my aftermarket pads came with new ones :).

slider boot, luckily the caliper boot has not ripped yet

Need to do an oil change, but it has been so cold lately. Thinking I should get a heater for my little detached garage.

Need to do an oil change, but it has been so cold lately. Thinking I should get a heater for my little detached garage.

Do it!

Here's how I operate:

#1: Buy new toys.
#2: Rationalize #1.
#3: Don't spend too much time on #2.

I just purchased a pistol-style IR thermometer I've been looking at because it was year-end half price sale. Not a need, but a want satisfied at 50% off.

A friend of mine has one of these that he attaches to the top of a tall propane tank for his business (a garden center here in the country):

metallics-dyna-glo-propane-heaters-tt30000m-64_1000.jpg

Adjusts 9k-30k BTUs. Description says "up to 25 sq. ft. radius." I guess they can be forgiven for failing geometry.

Regarding Step #2: less than $90 at Home Depot. Pays for itself in 2 oil changes! See how easy it is...

Do it!

Here's how I operate:

#1: Buy new toys.
#2: Rationalize #1.
#3: Don't spend too much time on #2.

I just purchased a pistol-style IR thermometer I've been looking at because it was year-end half price sale. Not a need, but a want satisfied at 50% off.

A friend of mine has one of these that he attaches to the top of a tall propane tank for his business (a garden center here in the country):

metallics-dyna-glo-propane-heaters-tt30000m-64_1000.jpg

Adjusts 9k-30k BTUs. Description says "up to 25 sq. ft. radius." I guess they can be forgiven for failing geometry.

Regarding Step #2: less than $90 at Home Depot. Pays for itself in 2 oil changes! See how easy it is...

Looks nice!

I have outlets in the garage, so will need to shop around for what will work best. (I am not allowed to have those types of propane tanks here which sucks. County law for condos/apartments that I got busted on already.)

Check out quartz heaters. They're safe and much warmer than equivalent electric heaters.

Back