What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Put the winter tyres on. These are ex 15 model 17 inch wheels with Yokohama W Drives;

IMG-5062.jpg

On a KF, all that happens is you get this TPMS light but no bleeps or buzzers driving you mad;

IMG-5061.jpg

Using a heavy duty pressure wash through the wheel spokes has kept it really clean;

IMG-5052.jpg

Time for a quick look at the pads. One 14mm bolt out and swivel the caliper up;

IMG-5057.jpg

7000 miles - getting half worn. Doesn*t surprise me given the area I live in.

IMG-5055.jpg

Compared with a new Pagid pad...........

IMG-5056.jpg

Quick clean, grease the abutments with Ceratec and I*ll look at them when the summers go back on in April. I have not cleaned the caliper at all!

IMG-5059.jpg

I don't think my calipers look too bad if I recall. In fact I have seen very little if any rust on my CX-5 when I am underneath it for oil changes.

Well yesterday while idling at a light a cel came on. I pulled a code on the spot and it was a mixture rich code. Filled up the tank (it was low) and added some risolone fuel system cleaner. Considering maintenance and other things, I decided to clean the MAF. I've had a can of GDi cleaner for like a month now and this seemed like a good time to use it. Since I didn't have an extra hand I daisy chained some 5/8 hose so that I could use the accelerator while I prayed into the hose. I connected the hose to an unused vaccum port on a tee off my aftermarket vacuum manifold setup. The hoe fed to a tee that connects a port just past the throttle body, a port to the PCV and a port to the vacuum pump. Made a fat mess doing it (low vacuum pressure and pressured spray from the can don't mix), but got it done and the code hasn't reappeared.

red cap used to tap
BFE73pe.jpg

white tee is where they all connect
6f320HH.jpg

On the 29th, I got my new tires put on, and a new battery. Because for the first time in 3 years and 96,XXX miles, something broke on my CX5 that was BS. This is literally the first broken or defective thing that I can point to and say "Bad Mazda! BAD!". Pretty happy about that, so far.

You guys don't salt your roads though, right?

Yeah no straight up salt. They use magnesium chloride (mag chloride). And if they do spread anything on the roads, it's usually gravel/dirt as opposed to salt. Hence why everybody gets cracked windshields in the winter lol.

Yeah no straight up salt. They use magnesium chloride (mag chloride). And if they do spread anything on the roads, it's usually gravel/dirt as opposed to salt. Hence why everybody gets cracked windshields in the winter lol.

To say nothing of rocker panel paint destruction!

We get heavily salted roads here in Derbyshire UK. However, the car hasn*t seen a winter yet as it was new in April. The biggest cause of corrosion on the caliper is brake dust so if you can get it off weekly with a good pressure washer it may keep them looking like new. They just use rock salt here. We at Ferodo did a study on the use of magnesium phosphate once and it was shown to lower friction so if they are using it in your locality you may detect a fall off in brake performance.

Actually, mag chloride IS salt.

Actually, mag chloride IS salt.
I know that. What I meant was they don't use rock salt like other places do. They put this mag chloride down to lower the freezing temperature of the road and then otherwise lay out dirt and rocks and crap like that.

This stuff definitely dirties things up, but I have never had any rust issues like I see the east coasters get and in the past I haven't religiously washed my car after storms like I do now.

Last edited:
Why are calipers being made of steel or iron? I thought all the ones in my other rides were magnesium or aluminim. I havent even looked at my cx5s.

Back