What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I had issues with disc turning, from some shops.
After that, I started turning my own discs on the lathe, with a dial indicator.
But it's been a while, since I did that. I thought, that lately everybody just replaces the disc with pad together. I assumed that the discs these days, are thinner and they are not machinable, like in the past.
That is good news. Thanks
From my experience you always need new brake rotors when the pads need to be replaced on most European vehicles like my VW's and BMW as the brake rotors seem to be softer than pads and the rotors wouldn't have enough minimum thickness usually stamped on the disc. But the brake rotors on most Japanese vehicles such as my Honda CR-V the brake rotors can be turned 3~4 times and they still meet the minimum thickness requirement.

Ask not what you can do for your CX-5, but what your CX-5 can do for you! Like haul a 70" TV in the box without a problem...surprisingly to this owner!

Mazda & TV.jpg

Ask not what you can do for your CX-5, but what your CX-5 can do for you! Like haul a 70" TV in the box without a problem...surprisingly to this owner!

attachment.php

View attachment 219469
You got lucky! Last November I was trying to load a 55" Samsung TV into our CX-5 but couldn't. I'd to stand in the cold and windy Costco parking lot waiting for wife going back home to get our 1998 Honda CR-V which then loaded the TV flat with no problems.

BTW, these large-screen LCD/LED TV's are not supposed to lay flat like this way, but should be standing up during transportation. Of course none of the CUV's can load them correctly as there's no room for height.

You got lucky! Last November I was trying to load a 55" Samsung TV into our CX-5 but couldn't. I'd to stand in the cold and windy Costco parking lot waiting for wife going back home to get our 1998 Honda CR-V which then loaded the TV flat with no problems.

BTW, these large-screen LCD/LED TV's are not supposed to lay flat like this way, but should be standing up during transportation. Of course none of the CUV's can load them correctly as there's no room for height.

This isn't making any sense in my head. If he can fit a 70" TV in, how can you not fit a 55" tv?

Anyway I think the longest thing I fit in was a 50" desk top and that fit in no problems with room to spare if I recall. Never claim to have layed it flat though ;)

Last edited:
Are you honestly going to tell me with the seats down you couldn't fit a 55" tv in? That doesn't make much sense in my head if he can get a 70" in no problem.

Or are you saying you couldn't get it in flat?
Yes. I've said it before, you have to lay these TV's flat to load it into a CUV. But remember mine is a 55" Samsung TV, not a Visio so the packaging is different. It also prompted me to measure the size of packaging carefully for those large-screen TV's before purchasing, and took our old CR-V again to load a Sony 65" LCD/LED TV from Fry's during the Thanksgiving holiday later.

Last edited:
Yes. I've said it before, you have to lay these TV's flat to load it into a CUV. But remember mine is a 55" Samsung TV, not a Visio so the packaging is different. It also prompted me to measure the size of packaging carefully for those large-screen TV's brefore purchasing, and took our old CR-V again to load a Sony 65" LCD/LED TV from Fry's during the Thanksgiving holiday later.

You don't have to have them flat. Can't you just angle it it? It looks like his 70" is over the wheel-well on the driver's side.

But packaging difference makes sense, I suppose. Still, big size difference between 55" and 70" TV. Can't believe he can fit his in, but you can't, yours. I don't know, I'm in the market for a 50-55" TV, so I'll report back how mine goes LOL

Last edited:
Dusted the dashboard, around the gear lever, doors, seats, tonneau cover and boot side walls. Then used tyre shine on the tyres.

The flat screens Ive seen stocked in the stores were laid flat. There is plenty of packing and foam to support the unit in the box.

I applied the first coat of touch up paint to the rock ding.

The windshield is hard to find according to the glass shop. It could be a couple of weeks before one comes in.

Wow, that must've been the biggest, bulkiest, and most secure packaging in the history of TV's! But I guarantee it was safe and secure at least :)

Loving my new TV! Still amazed I got it home in the CX-5, but I was really pleased. Got an awesome deal on it at Walmart on clearance, by the way -- $599. But you couldn't tell at all from the picture. Big step up from my 60" 1080p plasma, which I was able to sell for $350 on FB this weekend.

A superb way of dusting the dash, vents and switches is a blow gun and compressed air.

True but I use a microfibre duster that I have stored inside my CX-5 and use it when ever - stuck in traffic, parked somewhere or as I did above at home in the driveway :)

Well, I took my CX5 back to the dealer today for some major warranty work, including:

- a final fix for the rear brake dragging issue - I had the earlier (now superceded) fix which involved replacing the EPB unit done 1.5 years ago and it seemed to be fixed. This was after they originally misgiagnosed the issue and replaced the front discs and pads @ 5000kms.

However I recently noticed a pronounced dip to the right when driving off with the epb engaged. So back to the dealer she went. Today she had rear brakes totally replaced - 2 x new calipers, 2 new discs and all new pads, plus associated brake hoses and seals.

Touch wood, this is the last I will ever see of this problem. And at least I dont have to worry about replacing rear pads or discs now for a few years (cheers2)

- have had an increasingly annoying squeaking noise from somewhere in the back cargo area whenever the car is driven on a coarse chipseal type bitumen or otherwise any rough road surface.

Its gotten worse over the past 6 or 8 months. Thought it might have been something under the rear hatch floor, as it sounded very much like polystyrene foam rubbing somewhere so suspected the foam blocks around the spare or around the jack. I had tried several things myself in that area without having any impact.

Then when searching for the noise source again late last week, I discovered that the rear roof spoiler was loose. As per the TSB. So when I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning for the brake fix, I told them about the squeaking and the loose spoiler and asked them to sort it out.

Picked it up this afternoon and they were confident they fixed it. Though they were unsure if the fix was tightening the loose spoiler or lubricating the rear door seal, lubeing the door latch and tightening up every other hinge and bolt they could find on the rear hatch door. Personally I suspect it was probably the loose spoiler.

Anyway, a 15 minute drive around the local area and the squeak is gone, and the car overall seems quieter and kind of looser. Perhaps that spoiler was rattling more than I realised, and/or or the rear brakes were touching. Although fuel economy on recent trips has been outstanding so they cant have been touching much.

All done under warranty at no charge and with no arguments. Local dealer, Oldmac Mazda at Cleveland, has been great.

She seems all good now. Fingers crossed (wiggle)(wiggle)(wiggle)

Last edited:
Put 8 lbs into my left rear tire, was down to 28.
I only mention this here because I was amazed that I had no indication that it was low until the TPMS lit up this morning.
This car's handling is just that well controlled.

Put 8 lbs into my left rear tire, was down to 28.
I only mention this here because I was amazed that I had no indication that it was low until the TPMS lit up this morning.
This car's handling is just that well controlled.
You use a strange criteria for judging *handling* prowess.

So far, all weather mats, front and rear, the 3Dmax spider, very high quality, they go permanently in the car, so much easier to clean, plus it has the dead pedal covered too, to boot. Awesome!!!
Also, leather sleeve for the key, same 3D liner for the trunk, and an organizer from amazon for just $24 to keep things in place. More things to come, i'm sure.

Today I wrapped the piano black section of the center console. Pretty easy to separate. Everything surrounding it is held on by clips with the exception of the shifter boot which is only 2 screws.
1324061b791718cf4ab76ddcffe25af1.jpg
2845db91e10cc898b105d24ba03b5cb9.jpg
94947acada8c7a7dd7403862784b92c0.jpg
319695852a9f835b727e5815b992f31d.jpg

Today I wrapped the piano black section of the center console. Pretty easy to separate. Everything surrounding it is held on by clips with the exception of the shifter boot which is only 2 screws.
1324061b791718cf4ab76ddcffe25af1.jpg
2845db91e10cc898b105d24ba03b5cb9.jpg
94947acada8c7a7dd7403862784b92c0.jpg
319695852a9f835b727e5815b992f31d.jpg

I'd love to see a write up of the steps or step by step pics.

Looks fantastic! After 2 months, my piano black section is inundated with fine scratches from nothing more than a soft cloth.

Back