What have you done to your CX-5 today?

What's the purpose of the flap?

To annoyed people who try to install a hitch? (boom02)

That plastic attachment sit between the exhaust and rear bumper. It look like a filler or for better arrow dynamic or prevent dirt and grim from building up on the inside of the bumper?? I have no idea to be honest.

Installed a Draw-Tite (76138) hitch on my 2017 today. Thinking it would be easy to do but my Canadian CX-5 had a extra plastic flap attached to the rear bumper. Wish it was mention somewhere. Tips for other Canadian trying to attempt it.

Do you have the GT model?

Found this on etrailer.com

Installation Notes:

No drilling required for installation

Exhaust must be temporarily lowered for installation

Tech Tip:

Grand Touring models have an additional underbody trim piece that will need to be permanently removed for hitch installation.

Installed OEM trailer hitch. I didn't get the optional wiring harness since I'll be using it just for a bike rack.

It wasn't too difficult and saved myself $130, which is what the dealership shop charges. 90% of it can be done by one person, but actually getting the thing into place up over the muffler and affixing it to the bolts... you definitely need another pair of hands. Otherwise, it's a straightforward install.

I would recommend watching this YouTube vid, however. There is an excellent tip in there regarding the muffler hangers, as well as you can see how to use the cable pulls if you're not familiar.

dqojk5.jpg

Installed OEM trailer hitch. I didn't get the optional wiring harness since I'll be using it just for a bike rack.

It wasn't too difficult and saved myself $130, which is what the dealership shop charges. 90% of it can be done by one person, but actually getting the thing into place up over the muffler and affixing it to the bolts... you definitely need another pair of hands. Otherwise, it's a straightforward install.

I would recommend watching this YouTube vid, however. There is an excellent tip in there regarding the muffler hangers, as well as you can see how to use the cable pulls if you're not familiar.
Doesn't look like you cut the bumper to fit the hitch. Is this possible?

Washed her at home, two bucket method. Detailed wheels and interior. Very pleased to note no paint chips on hood after 2 1/2 years and 27,000 miles.

dqojk5.jpg

Now this looks like the picture on the Mazda site. Very confusing after that other post were the dealer had to cut the bumper trim. (boom01)

Do you have the GT model?

Found this on etrailer.com

Installation Notes:

No drilling required for installation

Exhaust must be temporarily lowered for installation

Tech Tip:

Grand Touring models have an additional underbody trim piece that will need to be permanently removed for hitch installation.

Touring, or called the GS model here in Canada. Did it mention what was the purpose of that piece?

Last edited:
Doesn't look like you cut the bumper to fit the hitch. Is this possible?

Zero cutting required.

There is a longish plastic piece inside center of the bumper that needs to be removed.
I think this is a new piece for 2017+. The instructions mention this but are not specific as to what it's for or how to remove it, but it's pretty simple - - just a couple clips.

dqojk5.jpg

It can be done by one person but it would have been WAY easier with two.

I think that you would only end up possibly needing to cut up the bumper if you install it with the wiring harness. Just the oem hitch itself fits fine on my 2016, and from what I see here, also on a 2017 without cutting up the bumper.

I think that you would only end up possibly needing to cut up the bumper if you install it with the wiring harness. Just the oem hitch itself fits fine on my 2016, and from what I see here, also on a 2017 without cutting up the bumper.

I didn't have to cut the bumper for that either...... I just have it plugged into a pigtail on my taillights and hang it out when I need it, otherwise it stays tucked away down in the spare tire area, out of the way and tidy.

Installed the OEM hitch electronic. Tips, there's a black cap the you can use to run down your 4 pin power wire to the underside. Also vacuum the trunk while I was at it.

Changed out a messed up led in my fog light with a new set. The side LEDs started flickering and since the fog light has a cap inside, it pretty much killed the light output. So I removed the caps from inside the fog lights.

Took it in for 1 month / 1000km check.

Passed with flying colours :)

Last edited:
Yeah...1000km checkup? (uhm)

Anyway, replaced my engine air filter this morning before I headed to the office. Noticed the old one was pretty dirty, I suspect since I stopped getting service at the dealer that it probably went longer than it should have by a lot. Right off the bat I could tell a huge difference. Power out the gate was improved (no lag), but also the engine had much more of a low growl tone to it when I gunned it.

Am I imagining things, or did I really improve things that much getting rid of the old dirty air filter?

Last edited:
Back