What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Installed Mazda roof rack and cross bars. Installation was easy except that one of the clips that holds 'ditch molding' came unstuck from the top of the car. No problem though as I have a roll of 3M VHB tape that fixed it right up.

The rack looks nice but I sure hate the way they are adjusted. Instead of pressing a button on the cross bars and adjusting them that way you have to loosen the tie down screw and then move the bars. This is almost impossible without a ladder. Stupid.

Getting my all seasons back on. Looks like they were more worn than I thought which is a disappointment. Will have to replace this summer most likely instead of next year. :(

Almost pooped in it.
Coming home from Columbus, 140 miles, 2 1/2 hours. About 80 miles in a Soul Red CX-5 gets on. We drive together for awhile about the same speed, passed each other a few times. I was wondering if the driver realized there was another CX-5 hanging with him. About this time he pulls in front of me. We're comfortablely driving when he runs over a broken piece of a 2x4 (giant stick) and flung it it into my windshield right in front of my face.

Yea...almost pooped. I had visions of the famous brick through the windshield viral video that killed a man's wife. (Do not look for that if you haven't seen it).
Zero damage to the windshield.

Phew...when I read that opening line I was afraid I was going to have to tell the story of when I got violently ill at work and was driving home and had to stop no less than 6 times on the 30 minute drive home.

Erm...never mind. Glad you are safe 7. And I concur. Was behind a Jeep today that flung a huge rock at my windshield and not so much as a chip.

Last edited:
phew...when i read that opening line i was afraid i was going to have to tell the story of when i got violently i'll at work and was driving home and had to stop no less than 6 times on the 30 minute drive home and still didn't make it...

Erm...never mind. Glad you are safe 7. And i concur. Was behind a jeep today that flung a huge rock at my windshield and not so much as a chip.

tmi!!!!!!!!!

Yea, I read that last line 3 times.
And...still...didn't .... Make it.
*Shudder*
LOL

Nothing exciting but had to reset auto up/down on rear power windows as they were not working (fronts were fine)

Got her put to work... And dirty

All the brick, mulch was loaded (multiple trips) in the back. Thankfully I bought that rubber mat
8793a28fa247a7ea72d9816b79916694.jpg

9208a4d29c09a4f44cd6849451cbb30a.jpg

Last edited:
30K miles oil change and tire rotation. Also had the wheels rebalanced as I was feeling some vibration on the floor or the steering wheel at highway speeds (over 65 mph). The rebalance seems to have fixed that issue. Also had the fuel induction service done. I usually have this done on my Mazdas at 30K mile intervals. Car drives nice and good.

Side notes:
Rear brake linings will need attention soon. Dealer suggested transmission flush LOL, I just said no. Bumper to bumper warranty will run out in a few days, boo.

Today, my first service maintenance at 8k KM exactly 5 months since I got this car. Dealer wanted to do free car wash as complimentary but said no since I just did a full detail clean yesterday. No thanks for the swirly mark ok Mr. Dealership... Also added a decal sticker on the back after car wash. What do you guys think?

Yeah. Definitely going to let Mazda know when I get the dealer survey email. No dealer should be suggesting a transmission flush on a car at 30K miles LOL.
And on SkyActic-Drive 6-speed Auto, there's no way to do transmission "flush"! I'd ask the service advisor how are they going to do the job and show me their ATF flushing machine which can handle this impossible task! ;)

30K miles oil change and tire rotation. Also had the wheels rebalanced as I was feeling some vibration on the floor or the steering wheel at highway speeds (over 65 mph). The rebalance seems to have fixed that issue. Also had the fuel induction service done. I usually have this done on my Mazdas at 30K mile intervals. Car drives nice and good.
What is "fuel induction service"? (uhm)

Side notes:
Rear brake linings will need attention soon. Dealer suggested transmission flush LOL, I just said no. Bumper to bumper warranty will run out in a few days, boo.
Make sure to mention EPB TSB (sorry the pdf link I saved is broken) which will cause different wear rate between rear inner and outer brake pads (usually outer pad wears faster). This's caused by improper release of EPB mechanism which is built into the rear brake caliper. It needs new revised calipers to fix the issue. Most Mazda dealers would ignore it and simply telling you needing new pads. I pushed this issue to the master tech of my Mazda dealer just before my warranty ran out. He checked and agreed to replace all rear brake components with new pads、rotors、and revised calipers.

The other big item before warranty runs out is the LED headlights if your 2016 GT has them. Make sure to check the flickering LED DRLs and you're lucky if they are. A friend who took my suggestion bought a 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech now is dealing with Mazda North American Operations and trying to get his flickering LED headlights replaced with new car warranty just ran out. He ignored my warning and didn't bother to check, now he has to face the consequence.

Side notes:

i know with my 2017 the transmission is completely sealed and it would have to be "unsealed" (broken) to do a transmission flush. I thought the 2016 was the same so I'm wondering if that guy just had no idea what he was talking about. maybe an intern or he thought you were in a different vehicle...can't explain it.

i know with my 2017 the transmission is completely sealed and it would have to be "unsealed" (broken) to do a transmission flush. I thought the 2016 was the same so I'm wondering if that guy just had no idea what he was talking about. maybe an intern or he thought you were in a different vehicle...can't explain it.

They call it sealed, but there are drain valves and the ability to fill from the dipstick.

The problem is that it's impossible to drain all of it in one go.

Back