What have you done to your CX-5 today?

How do you steam clean an engine.
I just wash what I can with rags to whatever I can reach. In the old days you could wrap the carb and alternator and hose it out.

You use a steam cleaner, of course. It's a hot water pressure washer. VERY messy!

Brought it home, purchased a 2017 FWD Machine Grey GT with Premium package via Costco from Berge Mazda in Phx. Drove home to Tucson (110 miles.) The car cruised beautifully on the freeway. Radar cruise control is a great thing. Punched it to 95 mph which it did effortlessly.

I think I'm going to like this car.

You use a steam cleaner, of course. It's a hot water pressure washer. VERY messy!
Why do I have to drag this out if you. Details, man. Haha. Do you cover stuff? I mean you have to cover the alternator at least, right?

This one will seems like a good pick.
GC2048_30-A1P-global-001

Why do I have to drag this out if you. Details, man. Haha. Do you cover stuff? I mean you have to cover the alternator at least, right?

Yeah I wondered too. I figured I couldn't just take a pressure washer under the hood.

Finally added some LED strips in the trunk and hatch. Original post.

SO MUCH better now.

HIUc8iB.jpg

Easy Cargo LED Light Solution

d91d77ec35850e1b623ff6663e2938bb.jpg

The cargo area is extremely dark in my garage. It’s impossible to see what’s in the hold with the garage door closed day or night.
I have seen a wonderful/professional cargo light installation on this forum but my capabilities fall short of that poster - I’m not wanting to tap into existing wiring just yet.

So I bought these LED lights (3 units per package - $17.99 - I used only 2).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) I used 2 of the 3 lights in the package.
6ea63d54dc9289ea011afd7f2b1a0723.jpg

I cleaned the cargo cover surface with rubbing alcohol for a clean surface then stuck adhesive strips on the underside of the cover.
29a056787074cfbc7cff01618172ba4a.jpg

37121157156013cfb3c8a15b6038ec94.jpg

Each light requires 4 AAA batteries. The lights are activated only when they detect motion and only when dark (or in shadow). Seems to work well even in the 10˚s F). Time will tell whether this thing eats batteries or not.
So far, it’s working well for me.

Ha! Not a bad way to go. Motion activated. Good idea. But if you have groceries back there it's probably going to come on when you brake n stuff. Have to let us know.

Wow that is great. One of my only minor complaints is that the little light in the back does not illuminate enough for me to see back there in the dark.

Easy Cargo LED Light Solution

d91d77ec35850e1b623ff6663e2938bb.jpg

The cargo area is extremely dark in my garage. Its impossible to see whats in the hold with the garage door closed day or night.
I have seen a wonderful/professional cargo light installation on this forum but my capabilities fall short of that poster - Im not wanting to tap into existing wiring just yet.

So I bought these LED lights (3 units per package - $17.99 - I used only 2).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) I used 2 of the 3 lights in the package.
6ea63d54dc9289ea011afd7f2b1a0723.jpg

I cleaned the cargo cover surface with rubbing alcohol for a clean surface then stuck adhesive strips on the underside of the cover.
29a056787074cfbc7cff01618172ba4a.jpg

37121157156013cfb3c8a15b6038ec94.jpg

Each light requires 4 AAA batteries. The lights are activated only when they detect motion and only when dark (or in shadow). Seems to work well even in the 10˚s F). Time will tell whether this thing eats batteries or not.
So far, its working well for me.

Great improvement. LED panel and motion sensors were a couple of the ideas I evaluated, decided not to go with them as concerned car's own motion, or even cargo area contents could trigger them. But in hindsight, think most of those lights have an OFF setting hence if indeed triggering w/o need can always leave them OFF, and turn ON only when needed.

I went with an LED strip running the whole cover bar with and placed the switch button (on / off only, no motion capabilities) on the bar, just behind leftmost headrest. Pictures:
  • CX-5 LED strip off.JPG
  • CX-5 LED strip bundled on.JPG
  • CX-5 cargo - no light - hires.JPG
  • CX-5 cargo - lift gate LED hires.JPG
  • CX-5 cargo - tonneau LED strip hires.JPG
In summary, believe many of us would have liked to see better cargo lighting by default, and using our creativity & abilities to fulfill the need.

If someone has no experience whatsoever in cleaning engines, I would watch someone do it. A pressure washer can cause quite a bit of damage if one is not careful.

Carwash using the Ammo Winter Boost Wash in the freezing temperature of 2-3c X_X ... installed the MaxiView Blind Spot Mirrors so I can see if I am hitting the curb (really handy) and installed the 3M Door Edge Protection Film because I am guilty of hitting my door edge to wall or snow bank back on my M3 -__- ... and spray Meguiar's Hot Shine High Gloss Tire Spray on my steel winter tire just to make it look neater ...

IMG_20180128_154800.jpg

Last edited:
Can you show a photo of how you have it installed?

Bummer, forgot about to take a picture of that one, I'll try to get it later when I get home. For reference purpose, I put it on the top right corner (driver's mirror) and top left corner (passenger's mirror) and pointing down where I can see just the tip of my door handles. This helps in corners where there are huge islands and parking since us The North don't have parking sensors.

Back