What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Yesterday my daughter mentioned that low tire pressure light came on.
I inflated the (4) tires to indicated pressure by driver door sticker.
I used a VIAIR 85P that I got from Amazon for $29.99 a couple of weeks ago.
First time I use it and very happy with it.

I had to jump start it for the first time because my son left his 12v electric blanket turned on. The battery was completely drained.

I had to jump start it for the first time because my son left his 12v electric blanket turned on. The battery was completely drained.

Also had to jump start our CX-5 last Friday because my wife accidentally left the Ultragauge turned on in the car. For some reason I thought the CX-5s had battery discharge protection, but I guess not.

Installed the paddles, over the weekend.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180102_070701.jpg
    20180102_070701.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 715
Just got a text from wife. She said the armrest storage latch broke. Now it wouldn't stay closed. It wasn't overflowing with items in it, so I'm not sure what would have caused the latch to break. Surely, the cold temps in Texas is not enough to cause it problems. We just had the headlights replaced a couple of weeks ago and now we have another issue. Hopefully this will be fixed under warranty as well, but I'm getting tired of taking it to the dealership for warranty stuff. At this point, I'm getting closer to wanting to trade it in after our bumper to bumper warranty runs out. It's unfortunate that our CX-5 is not as reliable as our other Mazdas in the family.

The arm rest latch? This is your final straw?

Yes the arm rest latch. Not yet, but I've accepted the fact that our CX-5 might not be as reliable as expected. So if our finances permit, I will look into trading it in for another car, most likely still a Mazda though.

Yes the arm rest latch. Not yet, but I've accepted the fact that our CX-5 might not be as reliable as expected. So if our finances permit, I will look into trading it in for another car, most likely still a Mazda though.

i hear ya. i didn't trade mine in after only 2 years because it was a great financial decision!

I think an arm rest latch is being a bit hypercritical. Tired of going to the dealer...twice?
And why would you consider another Mazda then? The 5 is the flagship. If it's unreliable... (Arm rest latch?) ... You think the 6 will be better?

Didn't realize an arm rest latch impacted the reliability of a vehicle. (uhm)

Seems a bit over the top to me.

I think an arm rest latch is being a bit hypercritical. Tired of going to the dealer...twice?
And why would you consider another Mazda then? The 5 is the flagship. If it's unreliable... (Arm rest latch?) ... You think the 6 will be better?

For the month of December I've been at the dealer for 3 weekends straight. First was that they wanted to do a headlight restore to see if that fixed my cloudy headlight issue. That didn't work, they ordered replacement headlights. Second weekend I was back there for headlight replacement. On a minor fail on my part, didn't notice the signal lights weren't working before leaving the dealership, so it was back to the dealership again for the third weekend. This is a dealer competence issue not really a Mazda issue, but I wouldn't have been there if I didn't need a headlight replacement.

The arm rest and the headlights are/were not the only issues I've had with my CX-5. I've already had the transmission replaced at 15k miles. While I don't get the hesitation/jerk going from Reverse to Drive anymore, every so often when passing , the car would downshift and a loud thud or bang would occur. I could not reproduce that issue on demand so I've not taken it back to the dealership for that.

I also had an issue where the infotainment screen blacked out after starting up the car and would not turn back on after turning the car off or on. While I didn't care that I couldn't use the NAV or audio, this meant I could not use the backup camera as well, which surprisingly annoyed me more than I expected. The solution for that was to let the car sit for over 30 minutes before turning it back on. Also could not reproduce this one but I'll be really annoyed if it happens again.

Then there's the subpar fuel mileage that I'm getting out of it which is somewhat a disappointment. I also have other nitpicks and wants that newer models have.

The CX-5 is the volume seller, but I would argue that the Mazda6 is the flagship car for Mazda, at least at this moment. Anyway, the reason I'm still considering getting another Mazda if I were to trade in our CX-5 is because I think the reliability issues of our CX-5 are isolated to our CX-5. Otherwise, everyone else here with a 2016 CX-5 will have the same problems. I also have a 2013 Speed3 which has been very reliable and my old 2010 Mazda3 has been reliable as well, so I think Mazdas in general are reliable. In addition to that, if you take away the reliability issues that I've had, I still rank the CX-5, Mazda6 and CX-9 at the top of their respective categories. Those cars are good looking, luxurious, well featured and affordable. Basically, I think getting another Mazda is still the best bang for the buck choice.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I'm just ranting. I realize that complaining about the broken arm rest latch sounds like I'm overreacting. Just not a good way to start Monday. Anyways, I still love driving our Mazdas. Hopefully no more new issues for our CX-5 from now on LOL.

Just got a text from wife. She said the armrest storage latch broke. Now it wouldn't stay closed. It wasn't overflowing with items in it, so I'm not sure what would have caused the latch to break. Surely, the cold temps in Texas is not enough to cause it problems. We just had the headlights replaced a couple of weeks ago and now we have another issue. Hopefully this will be fixed under warranty as well, but I'm getting tired of taking it to the dealership for warranty stuff. At this point, I'm getting closer to wanting to trade it in after our bumper to bumper warranty runs out. It's unfortunate that our CX-5 is not as reliable as our other Mazdas in the family.
Well at least your sun visor hasnt fallen off to you while driving!

Broken armrest storage latch on 2016 CX-5 has been reported few times here and Ive been trying to use it very carefully. But if I were you Id consider trading in the CX-5 when the transmission got replaced earlier.

The reliability on CX-5 is certainly a little disappointing to me especially the latest reliability rating by Consumer Reports proves just that. In 2015 when we considered the CX-5 I thought Mazda has gone through a long way improved the quality and reliability as CR rated Mazda #4 on reliability at the time. Since then the reliability on Mazda definitely is going to the wrong direction! Also notice that CR says Mazda3 is the most reliable model and CX-9 is the least reliable model among Mazdss.

attachment.php

View attachment 218125

Temp got above freezing for the first time in at least 3 weeks. Still crappy out but just had to get the salt off of her. First time it's been washed since I out the new rims on.
3016bc0cc978a65e122e0af5f0df72af.jpg

Back