What have you done to your CX-5 today?

That’s great news for you. If you get the latest “J” version, chances are you’ll have a pair of revised LED headlights which should last a lot longer than your originals on LED DRLs.

WHOA , $2000+ for headlights ? almost the same cost of a used transmission, agreed with yrwei good thing it's replaced under warranty

Yeah but those German LED headlights won’t fail in 2 years ⋯ (boom03)

I wouldn't count on it. Hahahaha

Our Shop Manager has a Mercedes GLK350, only 4 years old, and the cluster computer just died. The cluster is a $2000 part....... and his mileage is just out of warranty.......... o_O

It's funny because I was literally just talking to him the other day about how people complain about Mercedes after 100k km, and how all the elctronics start to die and go quirky. He's at like 115k now, and the cluster dies.

I wouldn't count on it. Hahahaha

Our Shop Manager has a Mercedes GLK350, only 4 years old, and the cluster computer just died. The cluster is a $2000 part....... and his mileage is just out of warranty.......... o_O

It's funny because I was literally just talking to him the other day about how people complain about Mercedes after 100k km, and how all the elctronics start to is die and go quirky. He's at like 115k now, and the cluster dies.
That Mercedes GLK350 is 4 years old with 71,458 miles, but both of my LED headlights failed at 2.2 years with 20,000 miles!

B*i vit ca bn rt hu *ch ‘‘i v›i mnh, cm n bn ‘ chia s. Hy vng bn chia s nhiu hn.
For my first post, I think this post by A Lan is the best I have read so far. I have been (slowly) researching cars to buy and landed on this forum in April. I have spent many hours here learning as much as I can. It is full of usefull information and generally kind members, and then there are the several trolls, who, up to now have apparently escaped psychiatric care. Glad I saved my first post for something meaningful. Cheers, Tim

That Mercedes GLK350 is 4 years old with 71,458 miles, but both of my LED headlights failed at 2.2 years with 20,000 miles!

yrwei, you're getting it fixed under warranty right ? hopefully you're getting the new "J" versions..... looks like a reliability issue for the 2016 models,
almost as if owners are "lucky" to have it fail within warranty and get it replaced with the new version, obviously it's better to have good reliable parts right off the bat but it is what it is and better to get them replaced under warranty, I've seen two 2016 CX-5's on the road just in the last month with only one LED DRL working...

True, but at least yours is under warranty still. :p

In no world should clusters or headlights or any other major component start failing within the first 5 - 7 years of ownership tho imo. It's all absurd to me. My point is it would not be better to go German, as parts are more expensive, take longer to arrive, and are not any less prone to failure.

Thats great news for you. If you get the latest J version, chances are youll have a pair of revised LED headlights which should last a lot longer than your originals on LED DRLs.

WHOA , $2000+ for headlights ? almost the same cost of a used transmission, agreed with yrwei good thing it's replaced under warranty

That's what warranty is for, but yes it is good that they are replacing them under warranty. This is also where, having a good relationship with the service department helps. To be honest, I knew I was taking a risk when I got the 2016 CX-5, considering it was a significant refresh over the 2015 models. The LED headlights if I'm not mistaken, made their debut on the CX-5 with the 2016 models, so I'm not surprised there are issues with it.

New 17 inch rims and Blizzaks.
013b197f8e41b558157e9b681e422c3e.jpg

That's what warranty is for, but yes it is good that they are replacing them under warranty. This is also where, having a good relationship with the service department helps. To be honest, I knew I was taking a risk when I got the 2016 CX-5, considering it was a significant refresh over the 2015 models. The LED headlights if I'm not mistaken, made their debut on the CX-5 with the 2016 models, so I'm not surprised there are issues with it.
Consider us the lucky ones as our LED headlights either defeative or failed within new car warranty period. But I feel sorry for those who are having defective LED headlights after new-car warranty expired.

New 17 inch rims and Blizzaks.
013b197f8e41b558157e9b681e422c3e.jpg

What rims are those. looks nice.......

Are those WS80 I hear they are awesome in snow slush wet conditions more than the XICE 3.. one question how is the braking. do still still feel the ABS kick in and sliding on full snow covered roads and possible ice and slope.....

I have a snow tire setup too.... the acceleration and handling is goood but sometimes it feels like an Alll season tires if there is ice layer or 2 -3 inches of snow covering the road... but always better handling than if I had All season tires ofcourse... just curious

Platinum Flux Rims Looks like I got the last full set: Remaining less then 4.
Cheapest 17 inch rims Tirerack has. Bonus they are black. Steel wheels are $70 so for $30 more why the hell not? Firestone put them on...for free?!?

Tires are Blizzak DM-V2.

It's only been a day so I can report back on that. There's only one street near me that has snow on it. Mine. LOL My street never gets plowed. But yea, I can get the ABS to kick on if I try to. But braking is definitely improved. Traction is better. I don't expect anything to be amazing on solid ice, but so far I'm pretty happy.

What rims are those. looks nice.......

Are those WS80 I hear they are awesome in snow slush wet conditions more than the XICE 3.. one question how is the braking. do still still feel the ABS kick in and sliding on full snow covered roads and possible ice and slope.....

I have a snow tire setup too.... the acceleration and handling is goood but sometimes it feels like an Alll season tires if there is ice layer or 2 -3 inches of snow covering the road... but always better handling than if I had All season tires ofcourse... just curious

I've never had any tire perform flawlessly on 3-5" of snow, or on ice coated roads. But they sure as hell beat all seasons.

Nice winter combo 7. Thats a great price too for winter use. If we decide to keep the CX-5 at the end of the lease Ill be buying a winter set myself.

Got a couple of inches of white stuff last night so I had my son driving around in a vacant lot. He just got his license last month, so it was a good learning experience for him.

We had about 40 cm of snow over the weekend, biggest snowfall/blizzard ever on record for Saturday's date. Gonna be a rough winter, hahaha.

I was out driving in it basically all day with absolutely zero trouble tho, the tires and the AWD work flawlessly in this machine. Goodyear Nordic Winters on Steelies

Looking good, 7.

Almost January, still no good measurable snowfall at all this winter here. Still ok with my decision to forgo winter tires.

I'm at about 58,500 miles. Vehicle is still running great, but with the powertrain up at 60k miles, going to be giving my mechanic a call to see if there's anything I should have checked before it runs out. I really don't know as this is my first car I bought new, so figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Other than that, we did get a little bit of snow last week I had to drive in. Didn't stick or anything, but dirtied up the car. Washed it and gave it it's winter wax.

Changed air filter. Upped air pressure on tires.
Got wipers for my second car from Costco. Good year hybrids. Will see how she likes it. My cx5 oem ones aren't that great. Will change them if these turn out good. 16 dollars a pair

Back