What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Went to dealership early in the morning to
ask them to TURN OFF the DRL on my 2017 CX-5

I like the fact that the LED lowbeams are no longer on
while vehicle is in motion unless I TURN them ON manually
using the headlight stalk(switch)

Must preserve the LED headlights... its like 1200 a piece if it dies ( I fear )

(2cents)

lol we could never only keep my car, as my wife can't drive stick. Nor does she want to learn. (rolleyes)
That's the thing. We're trying to keep our 2001.5 VW Passat for our kids to have at least some driving experience on stick shift with a V6. Unfortunately those young generations are not interested driving cars, let alone a stick shift. They think car is just an appliance taking them from point A to point B, and they're more interested sitting in front of computer playing games! :)

Went to dealership early in the morning to
ask them to TURN OFF the DRL on my 2017 CX-5

I like the fact that the LED lowbeams are no longer on
while vehicle is in motion unless I TURN them ON manually
using the headlight stalk(switch)

Must preserve the LED headlights... its like 1200 a piece if it dies ( I fear )

(2cents)
I agree with you and I'll do the same if we get a 2018 CX-5 later, although I'll miss part of cool LED Signature DRLs a lot!

I hope more 2017 CX-5 owners who don't like this DRL configuration with LED headlights on all the time, call or email Mazda North American Operations expressing your opinion. I'd called and emailed them several times, but the rep's attitude seems like why do you care as you have a 2016 CX-5 and you have the DRL configuration you'd like?!

My daughter loved to drive and wanted to learn to drive a stick which I sadly did not have and now it is too late (sorry to be a downer).

My oldest boy has a permit and it is like pulling teeth to get him behind the wheel. But I think it is more financial since I have told my kids they will have to pay for their car insurance.

So my recommendation is to hold on to your stick shifts and hold on to your kids while you have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you and I'll do the same if we get a 2018 CX-5 later, although I'll miss part of cool LED Signature DRLs a lot!

I hope more 2017 CX-5 owners who don't like this DRL configuration with LED headlights on all the time, call or email Mazda North American Operations expressing your opinion. I'd called and emailed them several times, but the rep's attitude seems like why do you care as you have a 2016 CX-5 and you have the DRL configuration you'd like?!

On the 2017 model ...
I believe you can turn light stalk to parking lights to run signature light manually ( I believe )

While I really like the signature lights and bose audio option ....
the Leather seats and 19 inch wheels is why I opt NOT for the GT trim.

Current selling price for CX-5?

On the 2017 model ...
I believe you can turn light stalk to parking lights to run signature light manually ( I believe )

While I really like the signature lights and bose audio option ....
the Leather seats and 19 inch wheels is why I opt NOT for the GT trim.
You have a Sport so you don't really have LED Signature DRLs. If I were you I'd have no hesitation to turn off the DRLs.

I believe for 2017 CX-5, 17" Sport/Touring wheels look much nicer than 19" GT wheels. I can see why you want a Sport with "better" and more practical cloth seats and 17" tires with low replacement cost. Of course nothing you can beat for paying $5,000 less in the beginning ⋯ :)

Saw this on cx5 club. Apparently some of these lights are super marked down right now.
20280388_10210144027658810_6304327188786838632_o.jpg

Installed the Draw-tite 76138 hitch from etrailer yesterday. A perfect fit, mostly.

Words of advice for anyone doing this. Don't do it by yourself laying on your back in the garage when it's 95 degrees and the relative humidity is 90%. You will not have an enjoyable experience. Also make sure that the CX-5's muffler hangers are positioned to allow enough clearance for the hitch. I couldn't figure out why the damn hitch wouldn't go into position till I noticed that I needed to 'adjust' the hangers a bit with my pry bar. Then to make things even more fun, once I got everything adjusted and lined up with the hitch ready to be bolted up, I noticed that one of the bolts that I fed through the frame (with the included 'fish' wire) got pushed back up into the frame. So I had to remove my perfectly aligned hitch and get the damn bolt fished back out of the frame and refish it back into position.

But it's done and I'm happy.

Oh yeah, be careful with the exhaust heat shield. The edges are like razor blades and it WILL cut your hands to ribbons. (it's hard to type with all these band aids on my fingers)

Installed the Draw-tite 76138 hitch from etrailer yesterday. A perfect fit, mostly.

Words of advice for anyone doing this. Don't do it by yourself laying on your back in the garage when it's 95 degrees and the relative humidity is 90%. You will not have an enjoyable experience. Also make sure that the CX-5's muffler hangers are positioned to allow enough clearance for the hitch. I couldn't figure out why the damn hitch wouldn't go into position till I noticed that I needed to 'adjust' the hangers a bit with my pry bar. Then to make things even more fun, once I got everything adjusted and lined up with the hitch ready to be bolted up, I noticed that one of the bolts that I fed through the frame (with the included 'fish' wire) got pushed back up into the frame. So I had to remove my perfectly aligned hitch and get the damn bolt fished back out of the frame and refish it back into position.

But it's done and I'm happy.

Oh yeah, be careful with the exhaust heat shield. The edges are like razor blades and it WILL cut your hands to ribbons. (it's hard to type with all these band aids on my fingers)
Thanks for sharing your (not too fun) experience of tow hitch installation. Luckily I have no plan to install one in the near future. ;)

thanks for the headsup. thats on the short list of things to get done on the cx-5 to make camping and hunting trips a little easier this fall.

That's the thing. We're trying to keep our 2001.5 VW Passat for our kids to have at least some driving experience on stick shift with a V6. Unfortunately those young generations are not interested driving cars, let alone a stick shift. They think car is just an appliance taking them from point A to point B, and they're more interested sitting in front of computer playing games! :)

More and more young people these days are opting for alternative transportation: cycling, bus, subway, ride sharing, small mopeds or scooters, etc. Which isn't a bad thing. Fewer cars and less congestion overall, hopefully.

More and more young people these days are opting for alternative transportation: cycling, bus, subway, ride sharing, small mopeds or scooters, etc. Which isn't a bad thing. Fewer cars and less congestion overall, hopefully.

Eh. If the infrastructure is there. Denver pushes heavily for people to use public transportation, but public transportation just cannot support it. The lightrail is full standing room only in typical morning/afternoon rush hours, and buses tend to be inconsistent on schedules. Nobody wants that. Hell, they sometimes reduce the number of lightrail cars on some lines during the busiest times!

Anyway, I bought some Meguiar's Ultimate wax. My understanding is that it is more of a sealant than a wax, but I am hoping it lasts longer than the Gold Class carnuaba wax did.

Going to wash and wax this afternoon after work.

Though...maybe I should do my paint touchups first...Maybe I'll save the waxing for Saturday.

Last edited:
Went up to Crested Butte, CO today. Sadly plans changed a bit, and we went in buddy's XTerra instead of the CX-5. But hey have a few pics anyway.

b67f3e87238e3225012ae33c95553bae.jpg
eb3dc5d02e5c748e499f198f36f23cfd.jpg
6459c7e461acc34b764accebfea37f8e.jpg
82cca950457b73b9284e4667dafc217b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back