What have you done to your CX-5 today?

ya my car has 2 rocks chips already also. one right at the lip of the front of the hood right before where my 3M firm starts :( and another above the windshield on the driverside on the roof. at least they are in not too noticeable spots. No dealers here have the new soul red touch up pens instock yet :(

I kinda feel your pain about the touch up pen ...
I am trying to touch up snowflake white pearl ...
Its notice able from 2 feet away but ...
still better than the bare bumper which is even more notice-able ...

I may just leave the car dirty on purpose to cover up any blemish
with dirt and road grim ... like on my old WRX ... so I look like I go "off-road"
(drive2)

How do you use the touch-up pen? I tried and it would just put down big globs of paint. Was not really working.

How do you use the touch-up pen? I tried and it would just put down big globs of paint. Was not really working.
I've had a little luck applying touch up by putting the paint on a clean plastic surface first and then using a toothpick as a paintbrush (or a fine art brush) you can put on small amounts at a time on the car. Try to keep the paint within the chip. It may take several layers to raise the surface but the results are usually better than going straight to the car with the touch up pen. Small amounts of paint on the toothpick will give the best results. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would first shake up the pen... using a jar cover.. any plastic jar cover...
dab a bit onto the jar cover and touch up the area a tiny bit at a time ...
Like a dot from a pen ... wait for it to dry then I try again ...

because my rock chips are down to bare bumper I would had to do mutiple layers
before eventually using mothers scratch remover to even out the area ...
then mothers wax to buff it up again ... then the instant retailer for a final touch

I've had a little luck applying touch up by putting the paint on a clean plastic surface first and then using a toothpick as a paintbrush (or a fine art brush) you can put on small amounts at a time on the car. Try to keep the paint within the chip. It may take several layers to raise the surface but the results are usually better than going straight to the car with the touch up pen. Small amounts of paint on the toothpick will give the best results. Good luck!

I would first shake up the pen... using a jar cover.. any plastic jar cover...
dab a bit onto the jar cover and touch up the area a tiny bit at a time ...
Like a dot from a pen ... wait for it to dry then I try again ...

because my rock chips are down to bare bumper I would had to do mutiple layers
before eventually using mothers scratch remover to even out the area ...
then mothers wax to buff it up again ... then the instant retailer for a final touch

Thank you both. I will have some touch-ups to do this weekend ;)

Hehe... Thanks.

I used Nu Finish liquid polish because it is easy and relatively quick to apply by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you followed up with a wax product. Polish by itself can smooth out microscratches (more so when applied by machine), but it basically leaves the paint surface in an "unprotected" state.

Just installed a chrome bumper guard to hide a spouse installed scratch. We had to remove the coating first to get it to stick. I'm happy with the look!
dc211845477c9b8d0305e16904dc9bf7.jpg

Looks nice, what did you mean by "remove the coating"?

I saw this one on Amazon yesterday, wouldn't mind getting this one for wife's car. I like how it covers the outer edge of the painted bumper surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

61rv06ZLv6L._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice, what did you mean by "remove the coating"?

We just got the car in early June. I had it professionally coated within a week of ownership at a local detailer that does amazing work. He buffed out a few factory and dealership paint swirls and applied a layer of Optimum Gloss Coat. I had this done on my CX-9 as well as it makes exterior maintenance a lot easier. I purchased the chrome strip from Mazda Med Parts on Ebay as they were the only supplier I saw with a 2017 CX-5 part already available. There are 3 adhesive tapes that run along the underside of the chrome. I followed the installation directions to a T, but when I removed the tape from the center adhesive strip as guided by the directions the chrome wouldn't stick to the surface of the bumper. I called my detailer pro and he used a compound to buff the Gloss Coat from the top of the bumper. Alcohol pads wouldn't remove this stuff - the protection it offers the paint is amazing. Once the coating was removed, the adhesive on the underside of the chrome was able to adhere to the surface. It took a little longer than I wanted but I'm happy with the results.

To give you an idea of how good that gloss coating is, my detailer noticed the gouge scratch in the bumper that I was trying to hide with the chrome strip and also thought there was one on the tailgate. The one he noticed on the tailgate was just a reflection of the one on the bumper. I'm definitely a believer in that paint protection. I'm not good enough to install a coating and that should be left for the professionals. Again the coatings make maintenance easier when using the correct products. I have no plan to use soaps on any of my cars.

I really like the look of that WeatherTech bumper guard you are looking at. It looks easy to install and should offer the scratch protection you are looking for. Good luck!!!

Last edited:
It's actually not a WeatherTech product, I had the wrong link in there before. It's listed as "TMB Aluminum Rear Bumper Guard" on Amazon, and I was wondering if anyone had tried it.

PatrickGSR94 - From an earlier post of mine, you might consider this bumper guard (called an applique) same vendor on Amazon.
Read the reviews.
I also read somewhere that the all aluminum guard casts all sorts of annoying reflections on the lower portions of the cargo door.

"Rear Bumper Guard Applique Black Guard for 2012-2016.5 Mazda CX-5"

Attachments

• MZD-CX5.jpg
    MZD-CX5.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 159
PatrickGSR94 - From an earlier post of mine, you might consider this bumper guard (called an applique) same vendor on Amazon.
Read the reviews.
I also read somewhere that the all aluminum guard casts all sorts of annoying reflections on the lower portions of the cargo door.

"Rear Bumper Guard Applique Black Guard for 2012-2016.5 Mazda CX-5"

Yeah I like how that one matches the black parts of the bumper and also covers more of the bumper area. Not too sure how I feel about the chrome strips, though.

Just enjoying driving the CX-5 today. My wife has stopped working after giving birth and we have decided to go back to a single car family so we can better tackle our debts. Plan is to sell the CX-5 next month, so I only have a few more weeks to enjoy driving it.

Just enjoying driving the CX-5 today. My wife has stopped working after giving birth and we have decided to go back to a single car family so we can better tackle our debts. Plan is to sell the CX-5 next month, so I only have a few more weeks to enjoy driving it.

Congrats on the new arrival! You're selling the CX-5 but keeping the MS3?? If so that's cool for you I guess, but surprising from a "family vehicle" standpoint.

I cycle to work so much nowadays that my Integra use is down to just 1 or 2 times a week driving to work, and maybe once a month on the weekend. Maybe 5K miles in the last year. I could probably get rid of it, although I keep telling myself that I'll teach my 7 year old to drive stick in another 8 years or so with this car. :p

Congrats on the new arrival! You're selling the CX-5 but keeping the MS3?? If so that's cool for you I guess, but surprising from a "family vehicle" standpoint.

I cycle to work so much nowadays that my Integra use is down to just 1 or 2 times a week driving to work, and maybe once a month on the weekend. Maybe 5K miles in the last year. I could probably get rid of it, although I keep telling myself that I'll teach my 7 year old to drive stick in another 8 years or so with this car. :p
Thank you!

I totally agree that the CX-5 is the better "family vehicle". There are other factors in play though that have convinced us to keep the Speed3, the main factor being, we will have an extra $500 per month that we can use to pay off our debts if we sell the CX-5, versus hardly getting anything back if we sell the Speed3. Then there's other things like the Speed3 being discontinued with no new Mazdaspeed models in sight. The Speed3 is also significantly more fun to drive than the CX-5 and since I'm going to be driving it majority of the time, the wife says I should pick what I want to drive in the long run.

Edit: There's that too. I cannot wait till my son grows up some more and see his reaction when we go WOT in the Speed3. I also want him to know about manual transmission cars at an early age.

Right there with you guys...

Hoping my daughter can get the hang of this shifter kart at 3 (she's one). I'm somewhat kidding,however,I do have a kid kart for her that will still boogity boogity...

Yeah I like how that one matches the black parts of the bumper and also covers more of the bumper area. Not too sure how I feel about the chrome strips, though.
I was also concerned about the chrome strips until I installed the applique, and then stepped back to admire my handiwork. As I stated in my review for the product, "Even if this bumper applique didn't protect the bumper more effectively than ANY OTHERS that I shopped, the chrome accent strips change the entire complexion of the rear of the car - in my judgment, a major compliment without being gaudy. If you were only buying it for the chrome accents, it is a very nice touch to your CX5 - very KODO". I'm sure the strips could be removed - they are likely attached with 3M adhesive tape - a little heat, a little patience, and some Goo-Gone.

Latest posts

Back