What have you done to your CX-5 today?

That is not true! Flexible OCI is up to 10,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. The "Oil change due" message most likely will be displayed a lot earlier than that and at the lastest at 10,000 miles mark if you had many long trips, long before 12,000 miles your service advisor suggested! Many people had done UOA and Mazda moly oil can easily last way more than 7,500 miles!

You can set your Maintenance Monitor on oil change to "Flexible", but change oil anytime before the reminder coming up. This's what I did, changing oil at 50K, and 56K, with Mazda moly oil at about 40% oil life left. I don't use any dealers for routine maintenance as I found most of them are not trustworthy, I use them only for warranty service.

Car dealer's service department is using bulk Castrol oil for more profit. I bet if you go to parts they'll have Mazda moly ready to sell to you. I'd keep using Mazda moly oil as it has good reputation and fair price. My dealer charges $10 more for oil change with moly, but you have to ask for it otherwise the generic "Preferred Choice" oil would be used

Thank you. I prefer 10 dollars more for 7500 or so miles. that is perfect win win for me. I will insist on Mazda Moly next time. Hopefully use this one for 6-7K miles.
Man it feels a little more fast after the oil change. mpg though is more or less same or slightly better.
Which dealer in DFW has mazda moly confirmed?

I always order Mazda original online and bring it with me to the service to save more than the half of the money he would take for it!!!
Like Nike-just do it

Cheers 101

Thank you. I prefer 10 dollars more for 7500 or so miles. that is perfect win win for me. I will insist on Mazda Moly next time. Hopefully use this one for 6-7K miles.
Man it feels a little more fast after the oil change. mpg though is more or less same or slightly better.
Which dealer in DFW has mazda moly confirmed?
Town North Mazda in Richardson. Ask for Victor Bernal at service department and he's very knowledgeable and nice. But as you've noticed most Mazda dealers have small service department and an appointment may be needed for a simple oil change!

I'd still try to work with your Mazda dealer discussing the possibility of using Mazda moly oil. You can also check with parts and see if they normally keep Mazda moly in stock. I wouldn't trust the service guy who told you they don't stock moly.

Or like ImVKool suggested, order the Mazda moly oil change kit online from our sponsor, take them to a reputable independent garage or your Mazda dealer if they're willing to do it.

Do ask service advisor to leave all 5 empty Mazda moly bottles in the cargo area. ;)

You still can reset your oil change monitor to "Flexible" just for the reference to your current oil life.

Or like ImVKool suggested, order the Mazda moly oil change kit online from our sponsor, take them to a reputable independent garage or your Mazda dealer if they're willing to do it.

I bring it always with me to Mazda. Just let them know that it is in the trunk and they have to use it. 6l I bring so they give me back the over of around 0,8l at the pick up. Nice service, or other Garage be willing to do the service instead, if they would argue.[emoji57][emoji6]

For the diesel discussion, if the oil liquidity is to high and you get the warning from the computer before the regular service it is up to Mazda and you should/will get the oil change for free.
I know guys they have not payed for the first three years due to this normal/issue at Diesel engines. Just a month or two before the regular service. Don't panic for the warning of the board computer wich is a bit harsh and threatening. You can still drive short distances for weeks or even drive back smooth from a holiday trip home to your mazda dealer. Just check the oil level and give them a call to confirm the situation. I had this like all diesel driver I know.
All big car comp have this issue! More concerning is the weak crankshaft which afterwords lead to a defect of the turbo.

Cheers 101

Asked about Mazda moly oil - they said Mazda has tie up with Castrol and they use that. They dont stock moly oil.

Funny.. what do you guys think? Also I think i have read here a lot of positives for the Mazda oil - is it ok if i use that on my 2nd service possibly at 12K miles? Should i continue with Castrol synthetic?

Mazda original Oil is from Total (french oil company). For warranty reasons we have to use the original Mazda oil here, so no question about it(but it's also really good product). The engine will latest let you know if it wants new oil with the warning signal. The service is here every 10000km or after one year, wich comes first.
Sometimes the warning comes a little before the usual service period or like for me directly a few days ahead of the service timing or they will just change it at the usual service.
Hope the information helps.

Cheers 101

Last edited:
I crawled under the back and checked the rear differential for the first time. I had to add ~4oz to get it up to the correct level.

I crawled under the back and checked the rear differential for the first time. I had to add ~4oz to get it up to the correct level.
Good for you! It's kind of expected though. I need to get a bottle of SG1 and do the top off too. :)

Good for you! It's kind of expected though. I need to get a bottle of SG1 and do the top off too. :)

After reading what others have found on this site, it was expected. That's why I checked it and that's why I was ready to top it off. 4oz low in a application that takes 16oz is rather low. No longer!

Over the last few washes, I've been removing tar and tree sap to get a good coat of Collinite wax on. These are the 17" winter tires, the 19" black wheels will come out of hibernation in spring.

IMG_2809_zpsdjj5hviy.jpg

Over the last few washes, I've been removing tar and tree sap to get a good coat of Collinite wax on. These are the 17" winter tires, the 19" black wheels will come out of hibernation in spring.

IMG_2809_zpsdjj5hviy.jpg
Front Parking Sensors, but no headlight washers? I'm jealous! :)

The front sensors are integrated into the rear camera so it generates an image of the front and back sensors on the screen that drops out at about 3mph. Cars with HID headlights must have headlamp washers but not LEDs, don't ask me why!

After reading what others have found on this site, it was expected. That's why I checked it and that's why I was ready to top it off. 4oz low in a application that takes 16oz is rather low. No longer!
I agree. With 4 fl.oz. short out of specified 15.36 fl.oz. (0.48 US quart) capacity on rear differential, which is about 25% short! That's very significant!

In reality, the true capacity of CX-5's rear differential is about 2/3 ~ 3/4 quart according to those who have made the gear lubricant drain-and-fill, not the 0.48 quart from the factory spec! (boom08)

The front sensors are integrated into the rear camera so it generates an image of the front and back sensors on the screen that drops out at about 3mph. Cars with HID headlights must have headlamp washers but not LEDs, don't ask me why!
That's why I really want factory Front Parking Sensor on my CX-5 which we can't have here in the US! And this's the explanation of not having headlight washers on CX-5's LED headlights. santa seems referring to standard LED headlights with AFS. I wonder If more advanced ALH has headlight washers or not?

No washers or auto-leveling required, if output is below 2000 lumen. Many LED headlights (incl. Mazdas LEDs) as well as the new 25W Xenon lights are below the 2000 lumen limit, so they can drop the washers and auto-leveling.
Mazda has kept the auto-leveling but not the washers for LED headlights.

That's why I really want factory Front Parking Sensor on my CX-5 which we can't have here in the US! And this's the explanation of not having headlight washers on CX-5's LED headlights. santa seems referring to standard LED headlights with AFS. I wonder If more advanced ALH has headlight washers or not?

Mine has the 800 ($1000) safety pack with the ALH headlights! They provide their own little cabaret show at night which is astonishing to witness!

Today I added LED interior lights plus I also painted the exhaust tips black semi gloss. Used Engine enamel paint and looks great. Dropped the exhaust to get access and put a sheet around body for overspray. Sanded with 400 grit before spraying. The stock ones looked like crap until I sanded them. The LED interior lights are a nice touch (especially at $7 on ebay). The interior lighting is so lacking on cx5s... it needs better cargo lighting or at least 2 lights, center rest console light, lights on the homeline buttons, light in glove box, and footwell lighting-- STOCK.. charge folks an extra $20 MSRP.

I agree. With 4 fl.oz. short out of specified 15.36 fl.oz. (0.48 US quart) capacity on rear differential, which is about 25% short! That's very significant!

In reality, the true capacity of CX-5's rear differential is about 2/3 ~ 3/4 quart according to those who have made the gear lubricant drain-and-fill, not the 0.48 quart from the factory spec! (boom08)

meh, so long as gears are sopping thru it you're good to do. I'm sure the factory level is fine for the recommended interval.

meh, so long as gears are sopping thru it you're good to do. I'm sure the factory level is fine for the recommended interval.

You're sure? I hope that you'll understand that you're assurances aren't good enough for most of us? No disrespect intended.

You're sure? I hope that you'll understand that you're assurances aren't good enough for most of us? No disrespect intended.

I just wouldn't lose sleep over it having 12 oz vs 15.x. If it isn't leaking, change it at recommended interval and fill to recommended level. These diffs don't see the kind of heat and stress a lot of applications do. I'm no expert, but do have 20 yrs experience racing and wrenching much higher hp applications doing gear setups/changes, wear analysis, differential swaps, axles and bearing replacements, etc.

Looking good. Oh yea, the Soul Red.. one of few red shades I really like on a car and the diesel-- NICE!

25% short is indeed significant. Are you going to top off your engine oil if you oil is 1.2 quarts short? In addition, Mazda uses very minimum amount of lubracant, 0.48 quart, in rear differential. My '98 Honda CR-V AWD uses 1.3 quarts there. Small amount of lub in rear differential makes it even more important to have enough lub at the required level, to the refill hole.

I remember there is a TSB for failed real differential bearing. New 2nd-gen CX-5 designed a new ball bearing for rear differential. Hopefully these have nothing to do with low gear lubricant from factory but you'll never know! (boom05)

Back