What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Yes, you need hog ring pliers and hog rings to do the job. Get yourself some dual actions side cutters to remove the old ones, your hands will thank you for them. There was just one wire harness to remove under frond seats (sport model without pwr seats) Front and back installed the same in terms of difficulty. 850 bones.

Hey, this is my first post here - I'm in the over in the UK and just picked up a 2014 CX-5 Sport Nav (Grand Touring) 2.2 Diesel. I've been working on the first couple of accessories today:

I started with the DRLs, which I've been wanting to change to LED to bring the car slightly more up-to-date:

IMG_2178_zpslld0qgwr.jpg

The standard P13W bulbs, not bad looking but I've been itching to change them since buying the car...

IMG_2188_zpsazcuvdma.jpg

Much better! These were 15 ($22) from eBay and appear to be of good quality - time will tell!

IMG_3984_zps0hrxg6ys.jpg

Next up was the boot lighting, which was a big step down from the Audi I came from, which had a pair of bulbs in the roof illuminating the boot nicely. I ordered the official Mazda LED boot light kit.

IMG_2225_zpscvoqm2rh.jpg

I'll change the original boot bulb to LED in due course, and perhaps add a fuse to the circuit given that I've read various horror stories of fried CCMs!

Looking forward to see what you all think :)

So I ordered these https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) last weekend and they came in on Tuesday. They have a chemical smell to it, so I let them air out in the garage after unwrapping them from the package. I wanted the Mazda ones, but $125 seemed a bit crazy for them, especially when I wanted black ones in the first place. So figured I'd try these out and plasti-dip them since they were fairly cheap and offer a little more protection on the lip which my work boots usually hit. Anyways here are pix of them plasti-dipped.

qOHYyjw.jpg

Kt5fZ0w.jpg

zmLRg7m.jpg

I'm pretty happy with them so far. Hope they hold up well. I'm a little worried about my boots removing the plasti-dip, but still plan on trying to be careful getting in and out. This is kind of just as a fall back.

Is there a guide or youtube video that you used that you really liked?

I ended up watching a lot of them and they were all pretty much the same info. So there isn't one specific one to link

PfFg0d0.jpg

This is how I did it. One thing I'd recommend is covering more of the top of the bumper. Found some spray on it the other day, but cleaned it up within a minute fairly easily. I may take my roof rails off today and do them too.

I ended up watching a lot of them and they were all pretty much the same info. So there isn't one specific one to link

PfFg0d0.jpg

This is how I did it. One thing I'd recommend is covering more of the top of the bumper. Found some spray on it the other day, but cleaned it up within a minute fairly easily. I may take my roof rails off today and do them too.

What do you use to peel iff the excess off yoir car afterwards ?

Do you do more than 1 coat ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you use to peel iff the excess off yoir car afterwards ?

Do you do more than 1 coat ?

it comes off rather easy. When you peel the tape off, the edges of the plasti-dip start to come off with it. You just keep peeling it until it all comes off the paint. It will remain on the badge itself though. For letters like D or O, you use a toothpick to get the plasti-dip off. Once you get a small part of it lifted up, its easy to take the rest off inside.

I used 6 coats which may be overkill. They suggest 3-4, but hey I bought a whole can and didn't have much plans to use it after (but I was wrong cuz i did the scuff plates and plan to do my roof rails now).

it comes off rather easy. When you peel the tape off, the edges of the plasti-dip start to come off with it. You just keep peeling it until it all comes off the paint. It will remain on the badge itself though. For letters like D or O, you use a toothpick to get the plasti-dip off. Once you get a small part of it lifted up, its easy to take the rest off inside.

I used 6 coats which may be overkill. They suggest 3-4, but hey I bought a whole can and didn't have much plans to use it after (but I was wrong cuz i did the scuff plates and plan to do my roof rails now).

Thinking about this as well but never plastidip either.

How long btw each coat ?

Do u spray the badges from very close ?

Thinking about this as well but never plastidip either.

How long btw each coat ?

Do u spray the badges from very close ?

The can has instructions. Shake for 1 minute before spraying. Spray 8-10 inches away, let dry for 30 mins per coat. Before I apply the next coat I usually turn the can upsidedown and give it a quick spray to clear the gunk out of it.

Here's one of the videos I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_ULUKno5w

The can has instructions. Shake for 1 minute before spraying. Spray 8-10 inches away, let dry for 30 mins per coat. Before I apply the next coat I usually turn the can upsidedown and give it a quick spray to clear the gunk out of it.

Here's one of the videos I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV_ULUKno5w

Thanks!!

Really seems easy looking at the video.

Do you know if it causes any issues if you do this outside in the sun during a hot day?

Thanks!!

Really seems easy looking at the video.

Do you know if it causes any issues if you do this outside in the sun during a hot day?

It's not recommended outside or on a really hot day. I would also be working of dust, dirt, etc being blown onto the wet paint. I've always done mine in the garage. I leave the door cracked to help ventilate too.

Put a hinge and exhaust strap onto my sub box. Got tired of it moving around, mainly thumping when going over a short speed bump.

s2g5RKL.jpg

Back