What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Mazda calls it a pto (power take off), but it's similar to a transfer case in that it's a way to get torque to the rear tires, if you have an awd model. The pto engages splines in the tranny and bolts directly to the side of it. The difference from a conventional transfer case is that it's always engaged and therefore the driveshaft is always spinning. When the system detects a difference in wheel speed front to rear, it engages an electromechanical clutch bolted to the front of the rear diff and you are in awd. The oil used is not as nearly as good as a high quality gl5+ full synthetic in reducing friction, heat, oxidative stability, etc. When I changed mine it was definitely at the end of its useful life and the diff and xfer case where less than half full. I'm not going to get in a big debate over which oil is best but I've been using both redline and royal purple for over 20 years in high performance sports cars, daily drivers and trucks and suv's with great success. You can find a high performance oil like these from amazon, Summit, Walmart, etc.

Did you jsut use one of those hand vacuum pumps? I have one, haven't used it though. It has a hse and a "suction cup" type attatchment,

Adjusted my endlinks and set the heads opposing vs parallel to try to iron out some binding/clunking I was getting. When I leave work I'll see if it fixed it.

T49EtoW.jpg

Did you jsut use one of those hand vacuum pumps? I have one, haven't used it though. It has a hse and a "suction cup" type attatchment,

You don't need a suction pump for the CX5 xfer case, only the CX9. Mazda/Ford weren't bright enough to put a drain plug in the CX9 xfer case, as it's sealed for life. Yeah, right. I just changed my rear diff and xfer case oil on the CX9 too. Only 15,400 miles on the CX9 and was lucky to catch it before the fish oil Mazda/Ford uses turned to black sludge. The oil still had the consistency of oil but was a dark grey. Sucked out as much as possible, then flushed w/ about a 1-1/4 qts of Royal Purple 75W140 and filled to the proper level. Unlike most diffs and xfer cases that you fill till it starts coming out, Mazda has a set level below the fill plug. Made a level gauge out of a bent zip tie. I use a top sider all metal suction pump for sucking the oil, coolant out of anything that is a PITA, like my mower, snow blower, whole house generator, pressure washer, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

The oil used is not as nearly as good as a high quality gl5+ full synthetic in reducing friction, heat, oxidative stability, etc. When I changed mine it was definitely at the end of its useful life and the diff and xfer case where less than half full. I'm not going to get in a big debate over which oil is best but I've been using both redline and royal purple for over 20 years in high performance sports cars, daily drivers and trucks and suv's with great success. You can find a high performance oil like these from amazon, Summit, Walmart, etc.

Does Mazda put in synthetic oil into the AWD transfer case?

Those are show stoppers, Skorpio! Did you pull off 17" wheels? If so, I'm interested.

Thanks Eddie! I have a GT, so I had the same OEM 19" wheels on it, only in silver color (which will be for sale soon). Even with mounting, lifetime balancing, and spacers, I should come out near even $ for a custom look [emoji4]
I'm really liking how in bright sunlight the gloss black powdercoating looks like black chrome
96ab34c18145f20a2785dc8091e9284c.jpg

Last edited:
Does Mazda put in synthetic oil into the AWD transfer case?

I don't know, but based on all the bad xfer cases on CX9's and the oil degradation I've seen in the CX5, it's a pretty crappy oil compared to true full synthetics that use only ester based feed stocks.

Chris, Corksport said that with there sway-bar, I don't need a custom end-link. How come you have one installed? It doesn't make sense.

I don't know, but based on all the bad xfer cases on CX9's and the oil degradation I've seen in the CX5, it's a pretty crappy oil compared to true full synthetics that use only ester based feed stocks.

What weight # and specific oil do you use on the transfer case?

What about the transmission fluid? Mazda supposedly uses 100% synthetic trans fluid. It's dyed a blue color.

Chris, Corksport said that with there sway-bar, I don't need a custom end-link. How come you have one installed? It doesn't make sense.

Because I am on bcs. Im lower than the cs. When I had h&r I was able to use oem links on softest setting, but they were at a bad angle and preloaded ALOT (reducing bar effectiveness) I broke one of them when I put it on max stiff and drove around. Our sway bar should be at a angle that allows the link to be as vertical as possible; to avoid binding/knocking the frame that seems to be about 30 degrees (about oem bar angle if I remember correctly). If you want the best performace, and you need an adjustable end link.

Mazda calls it a pto (power take off), but it's similar to a transfer case in that it's a way to get torque to the rear tires, if you have an awd model. The pto engages splines in the tranny and bolts directly to the side of it. The difference from a conventional transfer case is that it's always engaged and therefore the driveshaft is always spinning.

The always engaged aspect is kinda like an old school 4WD system with the hubs in. IMO..This probably has a bigger impact on MPG than the extra hardware weight.

I'll probably change out fluids with Amsoil versions at 20K miles. So relatively easy to change... no real cons other than a a few wasted dollars. I was going to do at 25K anyway. I've seen the lower than expected stock fluid levels on my Polaris products. A lot will rag on the Polaris products but I have never had any major issues with them. My old 2004 ATV... first one with fuel injection on the market still fires up like brand new.

I received my (2) 20mm aluminum front, and (2) 25mm spacers for the rear. They are the type has it's own studs built in. It may be hard to tell from the pics, but it totally changes how the CX-5 stands, and they're very flush to the wheel wells. It's almost like my CX-5 swallowed a... errr, a certain blue pill like in the Fiat 500XL commercial!
I test drove it to about 75mph and it feels no different than stock with no vibrations. Then I retorqued the lugs to specs. Shout out to Mondo for his thread and suggestion!

Looks awesome! I definitely have spacers on my short to-do list.

Are you going to paint those roof racks a nice gloss black to match the rest?!

Looks awesome! I definitely have spacers on my short to-do list.

Are you going to paint those roof racks a nice gloss black to match the rest?!

Thank you C Jayhawker! It looks like the silver roof rack stands out now, huh? I haven't decided whether to remove them or paint/powdercoat them. I don't use them at all. What would you do?

Chris, from where did you get that picture? That is not mine, but indeed it looks good.
What kind of wheels are those?

Last edited:
Hi to all.. I am new here..

I picked it up..

IMG_1471.JPG

Will post more photos of it once I get a chance to take some external shots.. :)

Back