What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Very nice.

I can't say enough good things about zaino products.

Oh and don't forget to put a couples coats on the wheels too.

I've been one for over 15 years, and still haven't found anything I like any better, especially for durability. Here's a pic of my Deep Crystal Blue CX-5 the day after I got it last month, after a round of clay, Z-AIO, Z-5, Z-Clear Seal and a spritz of Z-8 detail spray for dessert. Was fortunate I didn't inherit any swirls, scratches or etched on water spots from the dealer's lot (I told them hands off, don't wash or prep the exterior), so it wasn't necessary to machine polish it beforehand -

Dealerships are notorious for bad prep work. Most use a high pressure power hose on the cars sitting on the lot. They reuse the same drying rags over and over and end up scratching the paint. Water spots and swirls are common on new cars.

Most customers don't see the paint issues that a detailer would.

Zaino all the way. One of the best waxes out there.

Installed my coilovers and did an atf drain/fill. Almost 5 qts came out, vs 3.6 estimated in the workshop manual.

lhbTlwG.jpg

Man, that looks good! How's the ride with the coilovers? Did you have to modify the holes for the shocks in the engine bay?

Man, that looks good! How's the ride with the coilovers? Did you have to modify the holes for the shocks in the engine bay?

I have the damper set on 8 from full hard out of 30 (factory setting, pretty much factory height too so I didn't have to mess around with ride height adjustment). I have not bottomed out yet; the ride is definitely more stiff but the change is handling is comparable to when I went from stock to H&R, except now instead of just going low the dampers are changed too. The car hardly dips when I brake now lol, also when flooring it, or doing a wot shift the suspension stays planted instead of a buck (with OEM engine mount still on I didn't put the JBR mount on yet). Turn in is much better, less body roll than before, I'm not sure I even want the JBR front sway bar anymore. I am going to have the hole in the shock tower widened so I can adjust the camber without partially disassembling it. I just need to find a place with a proper hole saw or spend a long time slowly cutting it with the 12v drill and the bi metal bit I have lol.

my bad, should have checked before ordering...these don't seem to fit our car? on super brght i cant even find a cross reference for any forward lamps for the cx5

Sorry I didn't get back soon, was on vacation. To clarify, you have the technology package with OEM HID xenons? If so, your DRL bulb will be P13W. The plug will look like this
fe2c64aab355fc903a4ad151044e09e7.jpg
And the bulb twists into this metal triangular base plate, which you may need to loosen with a philip head (cross) screwdriver. Notice the bulb has 3 asymmetrical prongs that need to be lined up correctly. Twist counter clockwise to loosen, and clockwise to tighten.
5c43ee5dc309a25035dec09a6490268e.jpg

235/55R19 Latitude Touring HP 101v
On TSW Rascasse 19x8 35 offset
I'll take and post pics in the "show me your wheels thread "once I clean her up a bit.

Nice Chris!
You will have to drive more carefully, now. You will bottom out, if not.

or pound the s*** out of my wheels lol (which I had all 5 refurbished yesterday) It actually seems very resistant to bottoming out. Also I ordered a new body part.. details later.

Had Xpel Ultimate installed on the CX-5. Then I proceeded to run over a large chunk of semi re-tread on the highway and scuffed up the unpainted part of the lower bumper with a small tear/crack in the bumper cover. Uuuuuggghhhh.

The Xpel looks great though!

Replaced engine air filter... it could have gone longer... oh well only paid $15 for it.

Replacement: WIX 49247

49247.jpg

EDIT: This replacement looks identical to the stock filter.

Last edited:
Changed rear diff and transfer case oil to Redline 75w90. I know Mazda says 80W90, but that's for crap oil with a narrow viscosity index and also leads to increased resistance to flow at cold temps, resulting in increased wear. The Redline being composed of only PAO base stocks has greater stability under hot temps, high shear loads, etc and protects and flows better at cold temps down to -50F and has a much better viscosity index across a much broader temp range and will last for the life of the vehicle, pretty much with the wife driving. Glad I did it to the wife's car because Mazda vastly underfills both units. They should both take about 0.48 qts, at which point the oil should be to the level of the fill plug on even ground. Removed both fill plugs and nothing came out of either! Measured the transfer case oil drained out and it was only about a 1/4 quart. Same for rear diff. The rear diff is a bit of a PITA, because the cross member is so close to the fill plug, you can't use a torque wrench. Replaced all four washers (they're all the same) and torqued 3 of the 4 to 35 ft*lbs, mid range in the Mazda spec. They also use a 23mm for the fill plugs and a 24mm for the drain plugs, go figure. Not much metal on the magnetic drain plugs, but the oil was definitely starting to degrade from the heat, as it was starting to dark brown to black. Only wish my CX-9 had a drain plug on the xfer case, it is a major PITA to get access to and suck out and refill. Given the hot environment the xfer case lives in and the ridiculously small oil volume of both the diff and xfer case, I feel much better now. I took it out for a pretty extreme test drive in 90+F weather and after a few miles the vehicle seemed much smoother under both partial and full throttle, not that it was bad before, but it definitely made a difference. Even the butt dyno said "yeah baby". Probably see a couple mpg's increase too. 29.3 mpg avg in combined now.

Haven't posted in a long time, so I don't know if my sig has my vehicles in it & I didn't check, so...

1994 Mazda FD3S - Owned new since Dec 1993. 24,700 miles. Lots of goodies.
1995 Eclipse GSX - Owned new since Oct 1994. 32,400 miles. Lots of goodies, too!
2005 WRX STi - Owned new since Nov 2005. 34,100 miles. A few goodies from my 94 that got totaled. Lots of stuff left to put on some day.
2012 Mazda CX9 GT AWD - Crystal Pearl White/Beige Leather Interior - Owned new since Mar 2012. 15,600 miles. Full front, hood, fenders & mirrors clear bra installed by the same guy that does the C7-R's.
Full WeatherTech liners 1st, 2nd,3rd rows and rear cargo. Mazda remote start. Upgraded rotors,pads and fluid. Latest Nav CD. Upgraded high performance all season Yokohama tires. Mazda splash guards.
2015 Mazda CX5 GT AWD - Liquid Silver Metallic/Black Leather Interior. Bought new July 2014. 25,600 miles. Wife's car. Long commute. Full WeatherTech liners 1st, 2nd rows and rear cargo. Mazda hood protector. Mazda SS bumper protector. Mazda remote start. Mazda splash guards. Latest Nav updates/fixes.

Other Mazda's: 1980 RX7 (my first car, learned about trailing throttle oversteer real quick!), 2000 Mazda Millenia S Millenium Edition, 2008 Mazda CX-7

Installed new gloss black powder coated OEM 19's, and preparing to put my stock silver GT wheels up for sale. Wheel spacers up next!
866a17ac18f94531502e3debbbb3cc02.jpg
82746108e2216717f7c02911ae245b3c.jpg
26169a62ea425174a7f87080e80b77b7.jpg

Last edited:
Installed new gloss black powder coated OEM 19's, and preparing to put my stock silver GT wheels up for sale. Wheel spacers up next!

Those look great! Post pics/info on the spacers you end up with. I've been wanting them for the rear as well bc the wheels just look so tucked in to me.

Wouldn't spacers put stress on the wheel bearing and suspension components since you are changing the geometry?

Also, wouldn't a tire that sticks out further cause more rock chips since it will be flinging rocks onto the body panels?

Back