What have you done to your CX-5 today?

^ curious why not??? I was really thinking about Eibach springs which seem to provide a minimal drop along with 18 (not 19 or 20) inch rims.

What Did You Do for Your CX-5 Today?

let the wifey drive it to work
oh wait -it's her vehicle, she drives it every day LOL

^ curious why not??? I was really thinking about Eibach springs which seem to provide a minimal drop along with 18 (not 19 or 20) inch rims.
That's a very conservative approach and a smart one if you're going to do this knowing that (for now at least) you have not way of compensating for the resulting increase in negative camber (on the rear at least). I have a 1.5" drop with H&R springs and I stuck with the stock 17" rims because I'm afraid the ride stiffness would be intolerable with 19s. As it is, I run decreased pressure (30 psi) in the tires to get the ride closer to stock. I would describe the ride quality on my CX-5 as "sport suspension" stiff. Any stiffer and it would be objectionable and any time you shorten the sidewall with a larger rim size you run that risk.

So, back in March I got into a bit of a fender bender when I thought I had space but definitely did not. Swiped an older silver Toyota Camry on the way to work one morning while both of our lanes were turning right onto a busy downtown DC street. The other driver (much older lady) pulled up next to me after the impact, rolled her window down, and I frantically asked if she wanted to pull over to exchange information (we were in the two left lanes of a four-lane road). To my complete surprise, she said it was an old car with plenty of dings and dents and she didn't care. So I kept on going to work, twisting my side mirror to survey the damage while not wanting to pull over and create a traffic jam in the middle of the DC morning rush hour.

The damage...I was pretty upset. Very stupid mistake on my part. The first pic is immediately after I parked at work and surveyed the damage. It looked terrible, but this was mid-March and the roads were still icy and covered in salt.
v7gmci.jpg

After cleaning it up a bit with the napkins I had in my car to get the salt and grime off, I could see the actual damage. It looked like the door would need to be replaced, along with the black trim piece over the rear wheel well and a small nick that took the paint off in the corner of the rear fender. Luckily for me, the damage did not extend onto the front door or onto the fender itself. Still, I knew this was going to be an expensive mistake.
35krebk.jpg

I went that same afternoon and got 3 estimates from area body shops. The estimates were about $1,300, $1,450 and $1,650. Being this was mid-March, I was about to pay a not-tiny chunk of change in taxes and decided to put off the repair for awhile. Then, life happened, and we ended up moving to West Virginia for me to accept a job offer. Throughout April, we were traveling back and forth to look for a house, and throughout May, I was busy wrapping things up at work and continued to put it off. We finally got settled in WV in mid-June when we closed on our house, and after getting reimbursed for our moving expenses through work, I decided to go and get some quotes from body shops out here, figuring I could now afford it.

Imagine my surprise when I go to 3 area body shops in our new WV city, and they clock in at $2,200, $2,400, and $2,300! I couldn't believe it and immediately regretted putting off the repair. Turns out labor rates for both body work and paint work are closer to $60/hour out here in WV compared to about $45/hour in Northern Virginia. I started scheming in my head that I could get the work done back in Northern Virginia, rent a car for the week while it was in the shop, and still come out less than the WV estimates. I let this simmer in my mind for about a week, not wanting to pull the trigger on that idea for the sheer hassle of it. I happened to get a half-day off work one day and decided to go out to some more shops and see if I couldn't get some better estimates. Made a list of 5+ additional shops to visit. First one, very informal shop with no office, proprietor takes a look at my car and calls a few guys for some numbers on parts (mostly the door needing to be replaced) and he says, about $1,400, $1,500 tops. I couldn't believe it! I made an appointment right then and there. I did go to 2 more shops that day and their estimates came in around $2,050 and $2,200. I decided to not push my luck and confirmed the appointment I made. Two weeks later, I drop the car off on a Tuesday morning and he's done with it by Friday afternoon. I'm ecstatic. Total payment was $1,484 and I will now be a lifetime customer of this great little shop I found.

Final result and it looks brand new again! Very relieved. I am also lucky to be in a much smaller area now with less traffic and a shorter commute, and consequently, less chances for myself to make a dumb mistake like this again. I will certainly be more careful in the future..
f1z1n4.jpg

1492t4w.jpg

*TL;DR: Had body repair done after fender bender back in March.

Said goodbye to my 14 Touring with Tech.....

And Hello to my new 16 GT with Tech and IActivesense.

Bought a 2016 GT white with the navi tech pkg. only 6 miles on the OD and drove it home 75 miles. Very smooth. Set the cruise at 64 and was getting passed like crazy on the hwy. So yes new owner and I'm excited. Will be lurking/searching here for all the tips!

Last edited:
Got the hood, leading edges of the front quarters, mirrors, door handle cups and front bumper covered with the SunTek protective film. Was gonna go with XPel, but my installer who has done my cars for years prefers using the SunTek on darker colors such as my Deep Crystal Blue Mica. Also got my driver's side and passenger front windows tinted. Now she's ready for a trip.....

Well Cx-5 is STILL in the freaking shop. So looks like I'll have my rental this weekend with an upcoming auto-cross for charity. Not the best car for it but need some seat time since the Speed is down so, looks like I'll be using the rental which is currently a Ford Fiesta. $1,200 think I have the right to lol :/.

Is dueserdo having a conversation with himself?

Anywho...

I finished hooking up the wiring on my subwoofer today. 10" shallow mount Rockford with Kicker amp, just in a compact sub box I built for my last vehicle. I am still pondering how to hide the thing without spending much money on it. The Bose system has enough bass, but I want to remove the bass signal from those speakers and use only the sub for low end. It should clean up the mids out of the Bose.

Is dueserdo having a conversation with himself?

Anywho...

I finished hooking up the wiring on my subwoofer today. 10" shallow mount Rockford with Kicker amp, just in a compact sub box I built for my last vehicle. I am still pondering how to hide the thing without spending much money on it. The Bose system has enough bass, but I want to remove the bass signal from those speakers and use only the sub for low end. It should clean up the mids out of the Bose.

You haven't seen my setup?

Back