What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Paid off the loan on my 2016 CX-5 GT. It*s only got 35000 miles and is in absolutely perfect condition and now, NO PAYMENTS

Installed
Android auto mazda tweak aio ver2.8.4 enable HUD turn by turn google driving v11+, youtube v2.0, AA mirrors. Swapfile extra memory 1gb. infotainment runs more smoothly & can play movies/tv shows no lags.
3.0 usb 4xusb hub with 12v power usb connection from 12v socket to charge phone at 1.7amps (hack) whilst using Android auto/waze. No need to upgrade to official/retrofit v7 usb which cost $400+.
hood struts x2 bonnet lift.
Replaced key fob battery.
Removed stock air box replace with Cold air intake 3" aluminum pipe from throttle body to front passenger wheel wheel maf sensor (aio speedometer v5 app or obd2) reads highway driving intake air between 18-22C. Great sound and power.
Removed stock black rubber pedals cover with cx5 Sports pedals chrome cover.
Dash mat cover uv protector.
Remove stock globes and replace with all leds interiors and exterior lights including sequential leds for side mirrors/ fog lights area turns indicators front & rear (load resistors to prevent hyper flashing), rear number plate leds.
Link https://youtu.be/sp83jCCA4zA
oil catch can from pvc bridging to intake manifold to prevent/delay mazda cx5 GDI carbon buildup. Its a must have recommended mod for all mazda gdi to keep top engine performance. (NA or turbo).

Last edited:
Paid off the loan on my 2016 CX-5 GT. It*s only got 35000 miles and is in absolutely perfect condition and now, NO PAYMENTS

Congrats!

There's nothing better than that final payment with lots of use left.

Congrats! Drive it till the wheels fall off! In the same boat, but it will be tempting at 60k to snag up the turbo. Already is, but nothing like no car note on a still really nice car...Enjoy!

Congrats! Drive it till the wheels fall off! In the same boat, but it will be tempting at 60k to snag up the turbo. Already is, but nothing like no car note on a still really nice car...Enjoy!

I like the strategy of: keep paying the payment into savings. Drive until the wheels fall off. Purchase all future vehicles with cash saved.

Turned the keys in. The lease was up August 6th so we went shopping over Memorial Day weekend.

Went to two Mazda dealers on Saturday and neither was willing to work with us regarding numbers. The dealer we leased it from was asking us to make the last two payments. The second dealer was willing to write us a check to pay them but numbers still weren't acceptable.

So today we drove a home a 2019 Jeep Compass Altitude 4x4 with the Popular Equipment and Cold Weather Groups as well as the panaramic sunroof.

Still have three Mazdas in the driveway so zoom-zoom.

My engine air filter was needing replacing. Bought an AEM dryflow that drops into the stock airbox for $30 and put that in yesterday. I like the idea of one filter I can just wash and reuse. Added benefit being that the engine definitely seems to breath easier. I don't have any misconceptions about "moar horsepower" or some horseshit like that, but the easier breathing has made it feel more effortless to get to it's power. Nice pulls on WOT.

Last edited:
My engine air filter was needing replacing. Bought an AEM dryflow that drops into the stock airbox for $30 and put that in yesterday. I like the idea of one filter I can just wash and reuse. Added benefit being that the engine definitely seems to breath easier. I don't have any misconceptions about "moar horsepower" or some horseshit like that, but the easier breathing has made it feel more effortless to get to it's power. Nice pulls on WOT.

I searched for AEM and K&N when I first got my car, because folks here like them so much.

They don't make them for the 2.5L turbo that I can find...not for the 2019 CX-5, and not for any CX-9 turbo. I sent an email to K&N and they confirmed they do not make a dry filter for that vehicle.

I'm still searching...

I searched for AEM and K&N when I first got my car, because folks here like them so much.

They don't make them for the 2.5L turbo that I can find...not for the 2019 CX-5, and not for any CX-9 turbo. I sent an email to K&N and they confirmed they do not make a dry filter for that vehicle.

I'm still searching...
I opted against the K&N due to the oil. Plus $25 difference between it and the AEM ($30 vs. $55).

Last edited:
I opted against the K and N due to the oil. Plus $25 difference between it and the AEM

Yeh, I saw that about the K&N. I haven't oiled a filter since I used to work on lawn mowers for a living. It sure attracts the junk. But if I recall my early days of trolling this forum, there's a number of people here who really like the K&N.

I'd like to find a permanent filter for the turbo because I've always replaced air filters often. It's a cheap way to keep performance and mileage up, and it saves a little stress on the engine when it can breathe freely.

I'm still searching...

I don't really know much about the turbo. I know the oil filter is different model from the NA CX-5. I am curious if you popped open the airbox what model air filter it uses. Same as the CX-9? Or since I don't know, is that a different model from what the NA CX-5 is using?

I don't really know much about the turbo. I know the oil filter is different model from the NA CX-5. I am curious if you popped open the airbox what model air filter it uses. Same as the CX-9? Or since I don't know, is that a different model from what the NA CX-5 is using?

It would likely be the same filter since they share the same engine. Don't know for sure, but I can check what part number the CX-9 uses later on today.

I tried looking up their respective air filters on the several auto parts websites a while ago trying to verify that exact thing, but--upon a cursory search-no one has updated for the 2019 CX-5. When you look up air filters for the 2019 CX-5 on the NAPA website, it gives 2 engine choices:

-2.0L 1998cc L4 SkyActiv DOHC 16 Valve
-2.5L 2488cc L4 DOHC 16 Valve

Where's the member who thought he had a 2019 2.0L CX-5? NAPA has parts for his car!!!

edit to add: The turbo air filter must be different than the NA, because K&N told me they do not have an air filter for the CX-5 turbo (they do not carry one for the CX-9, either) when I specifically asked.

Last edited:
What's wrong with K&N filters? I have one in my Integra. Bought the filter way back in 2001 and still using it. It has over 1/4 million miles of use on it currently. I wash and re-oil it every 30K miles or so, or just whenever it looks like it needs it.

It would likely be the same filter since they share the same engine. Don't know for sure, but I can check what part number the CX-9 uses later on today.

Posted this in another thread, figured I'd update here as well. I went out to my CX-9 and took a couple of pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If the filter on the CX-5's 2.5T engine has the same design and markings on it, it's the same filter. Can anyone confirm?

Just FYI, the OEM part number for the CX-9 filter is PY8W133A0.

Here are the part numbers for the aftermarket filters:

STP: SA12167
WIX: WA9790
K&N: 33-3024

What's wrong with K&N filters? I have one in my Integra. Bought the filter way back in 2001 and still using it. It has over 1/4 million miles of use on it currently. I wash and re-oil it every 30K miles or so, or just whenever it looks like it needs it.

I don't really want to deal with oiling it. AEM one just drops in like a regular OEM.

Newer engines have more sensitive MAF sensors that can get fouled by any excess oil ingestion. I had to shelve my BMC filter after I started getting CEL (implausible air flow codes) on my Porsche. Had to clean the MAF and go back to a OEM filter. BTW, it was a new-ish filter, one I hadn't yet cleaned and re-oiled. So the offending oil was from the factory oiling.

Last edited:
Just picked up my new Soul Red Signature. I took possession on Monday from dealer but drove directly to Xpel Installer. The Xpel installer was awesome. Performed a thorough check of the CX-5 exterior and interior - only had 62 miles on it. Noted 3 flaws that I immediately reported to dealer in case they couldn*t be resolved. Xpel installer on full nose (entire hood, front fenders, bumpers and lights), A-pillar, 24* of roof, door sill plates, rear bumper plate and door edges. I plan to keep the car for years, but if not, the 10 warranty is transferable to next owner. Thanks to this forum I would never had considered PPF nor know about the *thin*. Now to set up all the features (phone, Homelink, NAV, etc)

Back