What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Hmm...so is he just lying to me then? He made it sound like they had the special equipment needed to do it.
No matter how "special" the equipment is, it still needs to access ATF via ATF ports. If you have no ATF ports available like our SkyActiv-Drive, there's no way the machine can circulate the ATF while the engine/transmission is running which is how the old ATF is getting replaced with fresh ATF. This's also how half of the old ATF sitting in the torque converter gets circulated out into the flushing machine hence the complete ATF change.

No matter how "special" the equipment is, it still needs to access ATF via ATF ports. If you have no ATF ports available like our SkyActiv-Drive, there's no way the machine can circulate the ATF while the engine/transmission is running which is how the old ATF is getting replaced with fresh ATF. This's also how half of the old ATF sitting in the torque converter gets circulated out into the flushing machine hence the complete ATF change.
Good to know, thanks. I'll bring this up and ask for more details. Seems suspect now.

Just finished getting my rear differential and transfer case oil changed.

Also got some information from the dealer regarding a transmission fluid change. They gave me a pamphlet that explained what they did. They specifically said they even disagreed with Mazda and definitely recommend replacing the fluid.

Well of course; that's how they make a living!

Installed the very poorly designed OEM crossbars today.

Mazda can take some lessons from VW and Audi on a more user friendly design. The mounting points for the supplied screws are very difficult to access and torque...the chance of damaging the paint is pretty great. I put some painters tape along the inside part of the roof rail where the hardware is secured to prevent any damage during the install. The crossbars on my GTI (and previous SQ5) was supplied with a tool that actually is a small torque wrench so you know they are secured correctly. I take my GTI crossbars on and off all the time. The CX-5's are going to stay on!

Here is the final product.
20180515_191807_HDR.jpg

I finally put on my rear seat covers last night. They are cover king neoprene and I let them air out for a couple of days prior to install as they had a rubber smell nothing bad but I had the chance to let them air out so I did.

Where the seats fold there is a lot of added thickness from the wetsuit material from each part of the split back so it bunches up slightly in the back but looks good in the front. And for that same reason I’m not sure if I’m going to put the center armrest cover as that is already tough to have it sit flush with the seat like stock. Also have the head rest wrap but I think it’s fine as is.

Wish they would use some thinner, non-grippy material on the sides but overall I like them for $207. Also Costco sells them as well online which is would I would do with their return policy.

All this was done since my dog likes to prop his paws over the back seat and has already jumped over the hatch area onto the seat so this will protect the leather from his crazy ass.

b78bcd0966ce62babe026237ba602187.jpg

005d8355ea6173b52f84c4e146054673.jpg

175d327afc602fd6a37a9cd35ed6136f.jpg

2077e3ca3920eed69521432bdfd87e48.jpg

1ba935f6c76cf9c748652f82fb2db6fa.jpg

c582ac1cb5c98931c964ab8dff9dd1e6.jpg

b174bb4b6aaaef9e1715cf15370a8f96.jpg

I always put the seat down when I carry my dog. I don't want his butthole and dingaling on the seat anyways lol.

Last edited:
I always put the seat down when I carry my dog. I don't want his butthole and dingaling on the seat anyways lol.

yeah I thought about putting the seats down but that one inch of leather wrapped over to the backside of the seats would get shredded with my dog's long nails and he would probably end up trying to stand on the armrest to look out the window better.

I agree, I don't want my dog's empty sack on the seats if possible.

We've had ours for 2 weeks now, so she got her first proper carwash at home today. Wash, dry, clay bar w/ instant detailer to lubricate, and Maguiar's ultimate fast finish to close. Man, I can't get over this Soul Red -- just love it! Sadly, I did notice my first freaking paint chip on the hood which was super frustrating. I'll be keeping a very close eye on that given the complaints I see around here. Still...that color!

IMG_20180516_132623-1.jpgIMG_20180516_132641-1.jpgIMG_20180516_132657-2.jpg

EDIT: Can somebody help me out with embedding images? I tried a link from my Google Photos account as well as uploading, but all I get it what you see here...

Last edited:
What do you see? This is what I see.
Isn't 2 weeks a bit early to use clay?
0aab01ff03407d28425d9a4819c19838.jpg

We've had ours for 2 weeks now, so she got her first proper carwash at home today. Wash, dry, clay bar w/ instant detailer to lubricate, and Maguiar's ultimate fast finish to close. Man, I can't get over this Soul Red -- just love it! Sadly, I did notice my first freaking paint chip on the hood which was super frustrating. I'll be keeping a very close eye on that given the complaints I see around here. Still...that color!

View attachment 219146View attachment 219147View attachment 219148

EDIT: Can somebody help me out with embedding images? I tried a link from my Google Photos account as well as uploading, but all I get it what you see here...

Wow - didn't know USA dealers actually put their details as a badge on the back of vehicles....

We just have a window sticker and the number plate frames (which I actually prefer so as not to touch actual body work)

Last edited:
yeah I thought about putting the seats down but that one inch of leather wrapped over to the backside of the seats would get shredded with my dog's long nails and he would probably end up trying to stand on the armrest to look out the window better.

I agree, I don't want my dog's empty sack on the seats if possible.
Not probably, he definitely will (with his saliva dripping next to you while driving!) ;)

@X: Yea a few do. If you let them. I would never and even made my dealer remove the dealer license plate frame. He was like really? I said "yea...unless you want to give me another $500 off for advertising for you."

@X: Yea a few do. If you let them. I would never and even made my dealer remove the dealer license plate frame. He was like really? I said "yea...unless you want to give me another $500 off for advertising for you."

Oh, OK. Thanks for clarifying 7eregrine :D

Doesn't bother me re number plate frame/rear window dealer details. I'm happy for other prospective Mazda purchasers to know where I got it from (not speak to me personally but to see the details as they're driving)

Last edited:
SkyActiv-Drive auto tranny has no ATF lines coming out and feed into an AFT cooler normally sits inside of radiator. Instead Mazda feeds engine coolant into the transmission to cool down the ATF. Transmission flushing machine needs ATF in/out ports to hook up and circulate old AFT replacing with fresh ATF. This means there’s no way to hook up such machine and “flush” the transmission, unless the torque converter is removed for major service.

I'm gonna try this again, however this subject was discussed previously. Indeed there is a way do to ATF flush on SkyActiv transmission. I think this dealer did what I intend to do as well, when I get time. They probably have modified a spare ATF cooler, so that instead of circulating ATF inside of it, it gets two ATF ports to the outside. Quite easy, actually. You just need to buy ATF cooler and do some drilling and fitting.
Then they'd drain ATF, unbolt your cooler and let it hang by the coolant hoses. Bolt modified cooler on, hook up to the machine, and off you go. The machine isn't needed though, as you can just start the engine and be done in a minute or so with the complete fluid exchange. The pump will promptly suck the fresh fluid from one container, and dump the old into another...

View attachment 219146View attachment 219147View attachment 219148

Yeah you have to bring up the picture attachment、copy the URL、and paste it into "Insert Image" function.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back