What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Got around to changing the rear differential fluid today. Had to position car heading downhill backwards with rear tires on ramps. This gave me enough space to slide under the car and access the drain and fill plugs while still leaving the car somewhat level. I had no skinny sockets to remove the plugs so I had to use a 15/16" wrench on both. It used about 3/4 quart to refill, although not that much was drained out. I was concerned the fluid was going to drain all over the exhaust, but the stream missed it by about 1/2 inch.
Another example of severely under-filled rear differential from factory. Someone has precision-measured the fill capacity for 2016 CX-5 AWD which is 0.78 quart, and that is very close to your quart. Spec says 0.45 quart, which is 73.3% off the true capacity!

Chris, I'm in the same boat with my brakes. After I have purchased a whole set, the brakes stopped making that horrible noise. I will use the existing ones, until they really give up.

An OEM starter costs only $48 shipped? Is it a used?

Yeah that seems to be the fact of life. Replace the original starter at the next occurrence of sticking * :)

Yes, you can get an OEM <10k starter from LKQ for like $50. I paid like 80 for an a/c compressor and about the same for alternator. New alternator was like 300

My newest CX5, the 13 AWD touring I just purchased, is getting about 18MPG right now, IPC indicated 23.8MPG. My old FWD touring was getting around 26MPG and my 16.5 AWD Touring is getting around 24.5MPG. No misfires, no MIL, no drivability issues, just incredibly poor fuel economy when compared to my other two and everyone else. What the hell...

Due to a sound deadening project a few years ago, I accidentally broke a small plastic tab on the light cover in the CX-5's rear hatch area....so the light's housing is basically dangling. Anyways finally fixed with some foam. Cut a tiny piece and pushed and held the light housing into place. Gained a nominal 0.43 HP back but lost 0.08 MPGs. Worth it!!

Replaced engine air filter and cabin air filter with OEM PE07-13-3A0A and KD-45-61-J6X at 38,028 miles.

attachment.php

DSC04906.jpg

Full day detailing wife*s brand new CX-5

Reload car wash
IronX chemical decontamination
Reload car wash
2 rounds of Clay Bar
Carpro Essence Xtreme Polish
final clean with Carpro Eraser
2 coats of CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic

Tomorrow will finish it off with Gliss coating over Ceramic and DLUX on all exterior trim.
Next weekend pull tires and ceramic coat rims, and then Carpro leather the interior.

Last edited:
Full day detailing wife*s brand new CX-5

Reload car wash
IronX chemical decontamination
Reload car wash
2 rounds of Clay Bar
Carpro Essence Xtreme Polish
final clean with Carpro Eraser
2 coats of CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic

Tomorrow will finish it off with Gliss coating over Ceramic and DLUX on all exterior trim.
Next weekend pull tires and ceramic coat rims, and then Carpro leather the interior.

I bet it looks good!

When I detailed my CX-5 that I had for 6 months or so, the IronX did not seem to react (meaning there was no iron) and I only had a few paint contaminants that the clay picked up on the hood (although I had already run the Mother's Clay Bar 2.0 over the entire car after the initial wash).

What was your experience? Did you have any iron or paint contaminants?

I bet it looks good!

When I detailed my CX-5 that I had for 6 months or so, the IronX did not seem to react (meaning there was no iron) and I only had a few paint contaminants that the clay picked up on the hood (although I had already run the Mother's Clay Bar 2.0 over the entire car after the initial wash).

What was your experience? Did you have any iron or paint contaminants?

I was glad I used ironx as the hood was purple after. A minute, and loads along the side and back.

The CX-5 is white so its great the it will stay clean longer, but with respect to polish and gloss, its pretty tough to make any wow factor like black or metalics

I was glad I used ironx as the hood was purple after. A minute, and loads along the side and back.

The CX-5 is white so its great the it will stay clean longer, but with respect to polish and gloss, its pretty tough to make any wow factor like black or metalics

That's interesting.

Not a speck of iron on mine, but I ordered my car from the factory, so it did not sit on the dealer lot for any length of time...although I did wait 6 months before touching the finish. And it's not garage-kept.

I applied Mequiar's Polish and Turtle Wax Ice/Seal/Shine to mine with a random orbit polisher. It came out nice, but did not "pop" with a high gloss (Eternal Blue Mica). I might use a paste wax next time.

As long as it's protected, huh?

I need to see if that's the squeaky one from my old engine.ornsid this one come with the replacement; either way it failed

OK, looks like we need to pay more attention to the belt tensioner as it seems to be a problematic component.

This has been known for a long time now. I've replaced mine once. I know plenty others here have as well. I believe there is a thread about it.

This has been known for a long time now. I've replaced mine once. I know plenty others here have as well. I believe there is a thread about it.
Yeah Im award of this tensioner problem. But now it seems to be more problematic than I thought.

Yeah I*m award of this tensioner problem. But now it seems to be more problematic than I thought.

May have to do with driving style? Way more known to happen on Mazda6's than CX-5's. That said I inspect both cars' tensioners every oil change. Got a spare in garage just in case. Fortunately, this is not a tough project as long as you got the tools. Probably could knock it out in 30 mins.

CX-5 with 109k still has original but I did change the belt (used OEM). MAzda6 one was replaced under warranty and current one is at 35k now with no leaks yet.

Back