What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Vacuumed the drivers and passengers footwells (pictures are of drivers footwell):

Before:

148mavk.jpg

After:

23itfo7.jpg

Ordered EBC greenstuff + blackdisk with puncture and slots for the rear break

Changed the four full range paper door speakers in my non Bose model for Hertz 6.5 inch coaxial speakers. Sounds great. Next project is changing of tweeters on the A pillar but removing the A pillar trim and the accompanying trim holding strip worries me. How do you get it out without cutting the strip attached to the retaining plug? Some people say you turn it 90 degrees and pull out but I still can not figure it out.

Last night, I have brought home, a 28"x 80" pre-hung door. Actual size is, 29.5" x 81.75".
Front passenger seat's back, is pushed back all the way and I have removed the headrest as well.
I still had like a foot, until it would touch the dash and as you can see, I still have some space, until it would touch the hatch door as well.
My last long item, that I have brought home with my CX5, it was a 125" motorized projector screen. I have poked it out, through the passenger's side door's window.
Tomorrow, I will have to bring home, like two 12' 2 x 4, the same way.

attachment.php

20180519_203437.jpg

Last edited:
There's no external "ATF cooler" for SkyActiv-Drive transmission but a "coolant core" inside of transmission. SkyActiv-Drive transmission has no ATF ports on entire transmission casing like other automatic transmissions.
Respectfully, this is not true. Just take a look at the heat exchanger, AKA ATF cooler for Skyactiv transmissions. The images are all over the internet. It is bolted to the block, 3 bolts, and it is out. Two gaskets for ATF ports that come with a new exchanger.

here is the cooler, water-oil

s5NWCUy.jpg

bottom right
uWwdaz1.jpg
I've never said there's no ATF cooler for SkyActiv-Drive transmission, but it's different from other transmissions which are feeding ATF to an external ATF cooler normally sitting inside of radiator. Honestly this "ATF cooler" for SkyAcyiv-Drive transmission definitely is not "external" to me, but a "surface mount" "ATF/coolant heat exchanger" and it's a part of transmission. It's nice to post pictures for us.

And yugrus, I really would like a know how people can modify this ATF/coolant heat exchanger creating an output and an input ATF ports to this heat exchanger outside. I believe this's not doable, at least this's not an easy job by some drilling and fitting simply because all the internal ATF routes would be surrounded by coolant to absorb the ATF heat.

Ok, I'll try this again.

Two fittings that you see on the picture of ATF cooler are for the coolant. Two ports on the other side that bolts to the tranny are for ATF.

We buy another ATF cooler, just like the one on the car, and modify it. Cut it open (hope pipe cutter will do), hack the internal ATF line. Put oil-resistent hose over both sides of the internal ATF line that have just being hacked, and clamp them down. Throw the other piece of the cooler (with fittings) away.

So we're left with the aluminum plate with three bolt holes to be connected to the tranny, and two hoses coming out on the other side.

Now we drain ATF and unbolt the stock ATF cooler, letting it hang down by the coolant hoses. We bolt the "modified" ATF cooler (well, the half that's left of it) to the tranny, put one hose that sticks out of it into empty container, and the other into the container with fresh ATF. Start the engine and watch closely, so the fresh side hose doesn't pick up air. Shut the engine, remove the "adapter", attach the stock cooler, and start ATF level check procedure.

Some time ago I had figured out which port is "inflow", and which is "outflow", but I forgot. It's easy to find out.

Two things that hold me down on this project are time and the ridiculous shipping fee to Canada. I'll try AliExpress, I thought the cooler was $30 or so... It doesn't have to be top-shelf quality.

Hope this is clear now, not sure how to better describe this...

⋯ We buy another ATF cooler, just like the one on the car, and modify it. Cut it open (hope pipe cutter will do), hack the internal ATF line. Put oil-resistent hose over both sides of the internal ATF line that have just being hacked, and clamp them down. Throw the other piece of the cooler (with fittings) away.
I fully understand what you're trying to do. But in reality the problem of cutting the ATF/coolant heat exchanger perfectly open to expose internal ATF pipe with heat dissipation fins (a guess) surrounded by coolant would be a challenge. The problem of hooking up a close-looped ATF pipe with fins inside of ATF/coolant heat exchanger would also be problematic to me. I hope Chris_Top_Her still has that ATF cooler and can cut it open figuring out if it's possible to make the modification like you described.

As for Mazda dealers, the service department will never do anything out of ordinary. They'll do ATF change according to Mazda's service manual, which is drain-and-fill, but not trying to modify an ATF/cooling heat exchanger to accomplish a task not specified and approved by Mazda.

When I'm back home in a few weeks ill look at it. I need to see what resell on those is before I trash it lol.

You do, please! Regardless I'll order mine for $40 Canadian shipped from China tomorrow. Too busy now with rum and cigars we brought from Cuba...
We'll see how it goes. Should be a fun project.
When I'm back home in a few weeks ill look at it. I need to see what resell on those is before I trash it lol.

...the problem of cutting the ATF/coolant heat exchanger perfectly open to expose internal ATF pipe with heat dissipation fins (a guess) surrounded by coolant would be a challenge. The problem of hooking up a close-looped ATF pipe with fins inside of ATF/coolant heat exchanger would also be problematic to me.

There will be no coolant flowing through the modified adapter. Worst come to worst, I'll put a tap to the ATF ports from inside of the contraption, when I cut it open. Regardless how the finned ATF internal line is arranged. Then I'm gonna screw in proper aluminum or brass hose fittings to the ports, and that's it. All I really need is a thing that bolts up to the tranny, with hose hook-ups to ATF ports.
Really hope to make a video of the whole ordeal, but then that's with a thick cigar and a glass of rum in hand in the backyard... Still hopeful!

There will be no coolant flowing through the modified adapter. Worst come to worst, I'll put a tap to the ATF ports from inside of the contraption, when I cut it open. Regardless how the finned ATF internal line is arranged. Then I'm gonna screw in proper aluminum or brass hose fittings to the ports, and that's it. All I really need is a thing that bolts up to the tranny, with hose hook-ups to ATF ports.
Really hope to make a video of the whole ordeal, but then that's with a thick cigar and a glass of rum in hand in the backyard... Still hopeful!

Cheers (drinks)

Yeah I know your modified ATF heat exchanger would have no coolant flowing as you're going to leave the original cooler hanging with the coolant hoses.

Actually it'd be the best to find some enhanced aftermarket Mazda SkyActiv-Drive ATF/coolant heat exchanger such as this modified 4-port cooler for Nissan's CVT from China. This enhanced heat exchanger has 2 additional CVT fluid ports for an external fluid cooler. For our SkyActiv-Drive a transmission flush is now possible with these 2 additional ATF ports! :)

FclBYWgSR6i._UX300_TTW__.jpg

AbrVJ8spSSWx._UX970_TTW__.jpg

o2hNVBFQR2mC._UX300_TTW__.jpg

Anyone else thinking these people should start their own thread about this? :D

Ok, I will start a thread on this when I get the darn thing that I ordered from China. Sorry for the tangent!

Finally got my black California license plates. The rear license plate mount is a cut corner, seriously just regular Philips screws, no rubber mounts to stop the plate and frame from rubbing and scratching the paint.

Still unsure how long i'll wait before putting on front license plate as I don't want to puncture the front bumper, anyone have any alternatives on how to mount it without piercing the bumper? don't like the offset ones through tow hooks.

Back