What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Definitely a Sport. Good catch. I imagine they'll put it on any trim if you're willing to buy it.

I did Google before I posted to confirm if what I thought I was feeling could be from going to 19s. Car & Driver and Motortrend both have articles stating that is one of the main benefits of 19s. So, sure, you probably felt a difference with the stickier Winters, but you'd see a bigger gain still with 19s, I think.

Re: bumps. Went down a brick road today that my son and I drive on every day after I get him from school. Definitely felt bumpier.

Apples and oranges again. The wild card here is the sidewall height. That should make more difference to handling and ride than simply wheel diameter.
Other factors include sidewall stiffness, rubber compound, tread geometry, belt construction, and on and on.
The only way to really determine the cause of what your feeling is to compare the same model and cross section on the same car, e.g., 225/55/19 vs 225/55/17.
Cut it down to just ONE variable.
Of course that will throw your speedo off. This would be for testing purposes only.

That said, I have no doubt that what you're observing makes perfect sense, and so does what both CDs [Colorado Driver AND Car and Driver] say.

Yeah thinking about it more, does make sense that you'd feel a bit of difference 17 vs 19, but I would think the biggest difference is snow tire rubber vs all season. Mine are the same sizes and I feel that same difference (its big) that you describe, 7.

Definitely a Sport. Good catch. I imagine they'll put it on any trim if you're willing to buy it.

I bet they're happy to sell it to anyone. (yippy) I was surprised they would put it on the lowest priced model without a buyer who ordered it. Seems like it would be more likely to appeal to a buyer interested in a higher trim/option level.

But if someone doesn't want the bells and whistles, but wants leather... what a great way to go. And not that spendy either.

"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme" reversed. Sharp.

So I got my windows tinted. I got limo on the back and I feel like it’s way too dark. Colors are browned due to limp plus privacy glass

I bet they're happy to sell it to anyone. (yippy) I was surprised they would put it on the lowest priced model without a buyer who ordered it. Seems like it would be more likely to appeal to a buyer interested in a higher trim/option level.

But if someone doesn't want the bells and whistles, but wants leather... what a great way to go. And not that spendy either.

"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme" reversed. Sharp.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

It is a sport, AWD, with i-ACTIVSENSE so it had everything I wanted (17s make for cheaper winter tires, and Im not a fan of sunroofs).

They had no intention of trying to sell that car with the red interior - they were using it on the showroom to show that they could do custom interior in their vehicles. I told them Id walk out with it same day, they werent going to say no haha.

Bought new tires that were taller than my old ones. I was trying to wait but tread started showing so i ended up getting 255/45/20 instead of the 255/40/20. Technically a 12mm increase. I also got a less aggressive alignment. I had to raise rhe front a bit to prevent rubbing so now I have a little negative rake (evo style). Also had to switch to a longer front adjustable sway bar link that I conveniently already had for like 2 years and never used. Probably will raise my rear when i feel like dealing with (more involved + 1 of my rear sway bar link is a b**** to undo) it so I can pull some camber from my rears.
qnz3nVO.jpg

DsJyusp.jpg

Last edited:
What Brand/model of tires? Still looks great.

Continental Sure Contact RX. I wanted 255/40/20 but that's a hard size to find on hand and I needed tires yesterday. I bought the closest they had in stock which was 255/45/20; 12mm taller than what I had. Never heard of the model but TBH as long as it was name brand I didn't care. I'd been running toyo proxes ST's for 3 sets and was very happy with the performance/durability.

Last edited:
Continental Sure Contact RX. I wanted 255/40/20 but that's a hard size to find on hand and I needed tires yesterday. I bought the closest they had in stock which was 255/45/20; 12cm taller than what I had. Never heard of the model but TBH as long as it was name brand I didn't care. I'd been running toyo proxes ST's for 3 sets and was very happy with the performance/durability.
Is it really 12cm taller? Or you actually meant 12mm? ;)

Looks nice BTW!

You can't roll your fenders? I have never looked into this, but on my ex VW Golf V, there it was a metal tab for the plastic liner, that was screwed into. I could remove that screw and bend up that tab. the rubbing it was gone.
Maybe you can look into it, maybe there is an easier "fix" for rubbing.
Here is a picture:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4e/81/36/4e8136ec97e12f5f8ee133cf300074d8.jpg
Unscrew that screw, push up that metal tab and place the liner, on top of the bent up tab.
Not sure though, if this can be done with our cars, though.

Oh...got that tire fixed Monday. The nail hit it pretty straight on into the middle of the tire.

Probably next week I'll switch back to my all seasons. I think these WS80's started new at 12/32nd tread, and they are now at 10/32nd and it's been getting quite warm.

Last edited:
You can't roll your fenders? I have never looked into this, but on my ex VW Golf V, there it was a metal tab for the plastic liner, that was screwed into. I could remove that screw and bend up that tab. the rubbing it was gone.
Maybe you can look into it, maybe there is an easier "fix" for rubbing.
Here is a picture:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4e/81/36/4e8136ec97e12f5f8ee133cf300074d8.jpg
Unscrew that screw, push up that metal tab and place the liner, on top of the bent up tab.
Not sure though, if this can be done with our cars, though.

I can and will be getting them rolled, however rn I needed to not cut up my new tires lol

Initially, my plan it was, to modify 20" Audi S4 wheels, to fit to my car and also to paint the machined "lip" in red.
I have purchased a set, which ended up been a copy, not original, but for $360 it was OK.
I have modified them myself on the milling machine at work, had to increase the hub diameter, and I have even removed 2mm, for better ET.
Purchased wobble nuts, from UK.
I have paid somebody, from CL to paint that "lip" in red, but it came out horrible.
Like these:
http://autowpaper.com/audi-tt-rs-bl..._post_29002_audi-tt-rs-black-red-wheels-1.jpg
When I recommended a couple years ago, this scheme around here, everybody was like mehh.
I think I still have that, or similar "sticker", that I have purchased, for my ex VW Golf.

For some reason, I can't insert the image.

Attachments

• porsche-gt3-rs-02.jpg
    porsche-gt3-rs-02.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 20141031_152125.jpg
    20141031_152125.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
You can roll your fenders pretty easily yourself, honestly...

I rolled AND pulled mine quite successfully with a heat gun, baseball bat and a few telephone books. Sounds ghetto, I know...lol

This was on my Speed6...

The problem then became my tires rubbing through the fender liners. The fronts had big ass holes. It was just about more tire than that thing could handle. Nothing better than an aggressive stance, though. Transformative. Good luck!
290bea4fbfde3f980d182c753e6371f9.jpg

MZZRNbb.jpg
[/IMG]

Swapped over to my summers and did the first driveway wash of the year. w00t w00t.
Also inspected the brakes and suspension when I did the swap. Everything looks top notch I'm happy to say! :)

Back