What have you done to your CX-5 today?

New battery time. The parking brake (which we never use...redundant on an automatic) was coming on and wouldn*t go off though it wasn*t actually engaged. Also replaced the battery in the spare fob so I don*t need to dig through my wife*s purse every time I need to take her car and do some service for her, mostly car washes. Just being a good husband....or trying to, anyway....

Wow! Haven't got time to responn now, but you're going to get a lot of flak on that "parking brake redundancy" notion!

New battery time. The parking brake (which we never use...redundant on an automatic) was coming on and wouldn*t go off though it wasn*t actually engaged. Also replaced the battery in the spare fob so I don*t need to dig through my wife*s purse every time I need to take her car and do some service for her, mostly car washes. Just being a good husband....or trying to, anyway....
Redundancy is great in case of a failure; glad my CX5 came with an actual hand brake. If it had magnetos I wouldn't worry about having a dead battery/alternator either.

Last edited:
Redundancy is great in case of a failure; glad my CX5 came with an actual hand brake. If it had magnetos I wouldn't worry about having a dead battery/alternator either.

Having recently seen a Mazda that had both an actual hand brake AND a commander knob, I don't understand why they went with the EPB.

Received and nstalled an inexpensive pair of hood lift struts ordered here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

46117774574_e40ef96556_h.jpg

45928475885_3962ab83c4_h.jpg

32967381358_a4f4de7c7b_h.jpg

Unfortunately for those with minimal mechanical experience, no installation instructions were included nor were they available on Amazon's website.
Having installed a different and far more expensive set of struts on my previous '17 CX-5, I had no problem referring to the pictures on Amazon's site to install these.
You'll need 12mm and 14mm sockets or wrenches to install the hardware.
The brackets attached to the hood aren't exactly as shown on Amazon's site, but my pictures should help if you order and receive a similar set.
I particularly appreciated the strap that holds the nut on the underside of the fender during installation of that pivot.
The previous set required me to hot-glue the nut to a bent tool in order to hold it in place and get the threads started.

In summary; this strut set works perfectly and is an outstanding value for the money if you can use merely the pictures as an installation guide.

for simple convenience i.e. the AutoHold feature and to increase center console space.

Meh...pretty sure I have a bigger center console than what I saw in the 2016's when they went to EPB. Can't speak for the Gen 2's.

EDIT: Just looked up center console pics on Gen 2's. Pretty sure mine is bigger or same size lol.

Last edited:
New battery time. The parking brake (which we never use...redundant on an automatic) was coming on and wouldnt go off though it wasnt actually engaged. Also replaced the battery in the spare fob so I dont need to dig through my wifes purse every time I need to take her car and do some service for her, mostly car washes. Just being a good husband....or trying to, anyway....

Wow Dave; I'm astonished that no one here reacted to your comment about a parking brake being redundant on an automatic. The "park" mechanism in an automatic transmission is nothing more than a metal tang that effectively jams the gearbox when the lever is set in Park. It's not that difficult to damage this piece of metal over time if it's not used in conjunction with the parking brake when the vehicle is parked on any kind of a grade, loading the transmission with the entire weight of the vehicle rather than sharing that load with the parking brake. That's why you hear that loud "clang" and feel a sharp jolt when taking the transmission out of park on any kind of grade. Not a good thing!

Wow Dave; I'm astonished that no one here reacted to your comment about a parking brake being redundant on an automatic. The "park" mechanism in an automatic transmission is nothing more than a metal tang that effectively jams the gearbox when the lever is set in Park. It's not that difficult to damage this piece of metal over time if it's not used in conjunction with the parking brake when the vehicle is parked on any kind of a grade, loading the transmission with the entire weight of the vehicle rather than sharing that load with the parking brake. That's why you hear that loud "clang" and feel a sharp jolt when taking the transmission out of park on any kind of grade. Not a good thing!

Exactly right. But that's why you should always set the brake BEFORE putting it in Park. Eliminate the strain.

Meh...pretty sure I have a bigger center console than what I saw in the 2016's when they went to EPB. Can't speak for the Gen 2's.

EDIT: Just looked up center console pics on Gen 2's. Pretty sure mine is bigger or same size lol.

Cue those push buttons on the dash to select D, R, N, P

Its all about saving space.

Unfortunately for those with minimal mechanical experience, no installation instructions were included nor were they available on Amazon's website.

Good job, rascal.

But everyone knows real men don't need or read instructions! (silly)

Cue those push buttons on the dash to select D, R, N, P

It*s all about saving space.

They did it in the 60s when center consoles mostly didn't exist, and automatics were on the tree. It was just a marketing gimmick back then.

Finally got my hood bra form Germany, very well made, not thin like a Le Bra but not as heavy as a Colgan bra. I know there are nay sayers to bras but I want it and I got it, already got chips on hood from the awesome I95 in sunny Florida. I saw the permanent mount deflector but I want to remove it when I want. Amazon and under $60.

Attachments

• bra1.jpg
    bra1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 179
  • bra2.jpg
    bra2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 171
  • bra3.jpg
    bra3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 163
Finally got my hood bra form Germany, very well made, not thin like a Le Bra but not as heavy as a Colgan bra. I know there are nay sayers to bras but I want it and I got it, already got chips on hood from the awesome I95 in sunny Florida. I saw the permanent mount deflector but I want to remove it when I want. Amazon and under $60.
I mean...the naysaying would be in terms of uglifying the car...but obviously it helps protect your hood. But if you like it, that's all that matters.

What I do call into question now seeing it is how Mazda did that front overhang in Gen 2. You have a bra on, but there appears to be a sizable portion not protected in front above the grill.

Last edited:
I mean...the naysaying would be in terms of uglifying the car...but obviously it helps protect your hood. But if you like it, that's all that matters.

What I do call into question now seeing it is how Mazda did that front overhang in Gen 2. You have a bra on, but there appears to be a sizable portion not protected in front above the grill.

True and the only option to protect the nose is clear bra which I don't like and a hood deflector form MAZDA AUSTRALIA which we can't get here....we can but I'm not paying for the shipping on it. I have inquired.

The Silver is the best color and paint when it comes to rock chips and there are few if any reports of that pain having issues. As you stated, the clear bra is the best option but an expensive one. The other option that people tend to overlook is multiple heavy coats of wax. It is not perfect but helps. This is what we would do in the old days. Like 10 coats of wax, if not more. Takes a while but can help to minimize some of the damage.

The other option that people tend to overlook is multiple heavy coats of wax. It is not perfect but helps. This is what we would do in the old days. Like 10 coats of wax, if not more. Takes a while but can help to minimize some of the damage.

Key word "old days." Now a days, before going through all that trouble, one is better off with a ceramic coating, something like CQuartz. Faster application, better protection, and it last way way longer than 10 coats of wax, which is crazy to think about imo anyways. Clay bar, a product like CarPro Essense (love this stuff), then a coating of something like CQuartz, and you're good to go for 1-2 years. A quick refresh with a product like CarPro Reload every 4-6 months is great as well.

Just googled the CQuartz and at $50 is it worth it ? and yes I agree the silver or white is most forgiving to paint chips. I had a Mazda 3 previously... black mica pretty color after its cleaned but also showed everything.

Just googled the CQuartz and at $50 is it worth it ? and yes I agree the silver or white is most forgiving to paint chips. I had a Mazda 3 previously... black mica pretty color after its cleaned but also showed everything.

Yeah, that is the big difference. Wax is still cheap and I think multiple coats of wax do a better job of protection than a single pass of ceramic coating. No data either way but just believe that to be the case!

Personally, on our new CX-9, I got the clear bra on the entire front and ceramic coated the whole car with the 10 year stuff. Makes the car look very shiny and liquidy.

Back