What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Pulled the wheels and dropped them off to get the new Altimax RT43 tires installed. While she was in the air investigated the intermittent rear clunk I have been getting. The culprit was the passenger rear sway bar bushing bracket. The front nut had backed off for some reason, the bracket then distorted and eventually broke at one of the mounting tabs. The clunk was the sway bar moving from one side to the other. Luckily I had the exact size bracket needed (can't even remember what I had bought it for) so after some fun got that installed. Changed out the muffler gasket, I had reused it a few times and noticed some carbon tracking at the flange. Also noticed a small hole in the RB muffler so put metal epoxy on that. Finally lubed up the adjustment fasteners for tomorrow's alignment to make the tech's job a little easier.

Picture of the broken bracket:

48489196167_fed90797f5_c.jpg

Pulled the wheels and dropped them off to get the new Altimax RT43 tires installed. While she was in the air investigated the intermittent rear clunk I have been getting. The culprit was the passenger rear sway bar bushing bracket. The front nut had backed off for some reason, the bracket then distorted and eventually broke at one of the mounting tabs. The clunk was the sway bar moving from one side to the other. Luckily I had the exact size bracket needed (can't even remember what I had bought it for) so after some fun got that installed. Changed out the muffler gasket, I had reused it a few times and noticed some carbon tracking at the flange. Also noticed a small hole in the RB muffler so put metal epoxy on that. Finally lubed up the adjustment fasteners for tomorrow's alignment to make the tech's job a little easier.

Amazing that you had the correct bracket, even with a zerk. Did you have a similar problem earlier with another car?

Good confirmation that you should always save extra unused hardware of every description [if you've got the room]. You never know when something'll come in handy.

Amazing that you had the correct bracket, even with a zerk. Did you have a similar problem earlier with another car?

Good confirmation that you should always save extra unused hardware of every description [if you've got the room]. You never know when something'll come in handy.

Yeah, I pretty much never throw anything away. No similar problem, as far as I can recall I bought it to use for a different sway bar on another car. Size was wrong for that but I held on to the kit. Grease fitting came out and the hole was sealed with silicone as there is no way in hell you will get a grease gun on to that fitting where it is located on the rear subframe.

Yeah, I pretty much never throw anything away. No similar problem, as far as I can recall I bought it to use for a different sway bar on another car. Size was wrong for that but I held on to the kit. Grease fitting came out and the hole was sealed with silicone as there is no way in hell you will get a grease gun on to that fitting where it is located on the rear subframe.

Those type of brackets suck ass. After bending 2 pair I bought a pair of billet from hotchkiss for my rear sway. This was before CS included billet bracket with the bars. Mynfront sway bar has billet brackets from jbr and I cant get grease in the zerk fitting lol

Those type of brackets suck ass. After bending 2 pair I bought a pair of billet from hotchkiss for my rear sway. This was before CS included billet bracket with the bars. Mynfront sway bar has billet brackets from jbr and I cant get grease in the zerk fitting lol

This is our hauler, other cars are for performance. I just want the damn thing to stay in place so my handling is better. I expect it will be now that the sway can do its job. This is a Corksport sway that I bought not too long after buying the car in '14. I really haven't had issues with not being able to grease the bushings on this one, on my Protege I used to remove the bushings periodically and lube them with some moly assembly lube I use. There is no way I would go to the trouble of that with this vehicle.

Got an alignment. Wasn't really off much, but the small shimmy I had after putting the new tires on yesterday is gone.

To Do:
Looking at this pic, probably need to clean/dress the tires.
Need to buy a smaller plate and pads to compound/polish some scratched up areas on the rear lift-gate.
I also didn't have a good way to polish the top of the car so that's on the list when I can make use of a bigger garage.

Careful with the 3-inch on a bigger machine. I have one for my Porter Cable and the vibration is really bad due to the mismatched counterweight. It will fatigue your hands and arms pretty quick. I plan on doing some investigating with the counterweight and my 5-inch backing plate and pad, compare those weights, then modify a spare counterweight I have to more closely match the weight of a 3-inch pad and backing plate to hopefully smooth things out.

Guess what happened to this 2016 CX-5 parked in a parking lot? (And no, I didn't do anything to this CX-5 today ;))

attachment.php

CX-5_03.jpg

Careful with the 3-inch on a bigger machine. I have one for my Porter Cable and the vibration is really bad due to the mismatched counterweight. It will fatigue your hands and arms pretty quick. I plan on doing some investigating with the counterweight and my 5-inch backing plate and pad, compare those weights, then modify a spare counterweight I have to more closely match the weight of a 3-inch pad and backing plate to hopefully smooth things out.

I didn't even think of that. Good call.

Well I am an idiot. I opened my hood when I had both windshield wipers up. Damaged the hood edge paint with paint protection film.

I didn't even post about me wearing a headlamp and hitting the rear passenger door. It left a tiny scratch lol.

Sorry car!

Uh, this thread is "What did you do for your CX-5 today," not "What did you do to your CX-5 today"

My brother was a mechanic...owned his own shop for years. He worked on a Porsche once (I forget which model), got in the car, shut the door, looked back over his right shoulder to back it out of the bay, and heard the door go SPROING!!!! Apparently it did not latch and it opened back up, caught on the building as he backed out. It was laying on the shop floor.

"That's why I have insurance." I have no idea how the customer reacted when he got that phone call.

Poop happens.

Well I am an idiot. I opened my hood when I had both windshield wipers up. Damaged the hood edge paint with paint protection film.

The VW Jetta TDI that we sold back to VW because of DieselGate had a safety interlock that prevented the above from happening. But that's a VW...

In the past week I got the OEM hitch installed (looking back, wish I wouldn't have since it cuts the bumper and is only the Class II hitch), got the legal tint on front windows, and put in the side window deflectors.

opiviEecE6L3bG1cXZuOPZnvRzVJtLYflazQYADMX5zB2ecOY1E5O4WiHxIbU6X98jVehSboTCyeH0EXSvfwZjctHKx5SNnCzEeGojAUHvsONP0POsQTmxC7Tw3jFAmm11EbC6oUxEQ=w2400

CX-5.jpg

Last edited:
Back