What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Interesting conversation. I found this on the web fwiw:

There exist packaged LEDs with two die connected in parallel but with opposite polarity with respect to the two input leads so that light will be emitted regardless of the polarity of the applied voltage.

The example that first comes to mind are the bi-color LEDs(or tri-color), such as the ones with red and green die. By control of the direction of the applied current it can be made to shine red light or green light. When subject to AC it appears (Red + Green) = Yellow.

source: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...rized-and-non-polarized-led-different.140016/ [post #4]

That's followed by a little schematic. If that's correct, and it sounds correct, the packaging makes all the difference, and could be designed to supply the same color light regardless of polarity. We all agree that diodes only pass current in one direction. But we're talking about "bulbs" which are more than just diodes.

And don't let the question of the polarity of the light produced confuse the issue!

Another interesting sidenote. 7 referred to his "electronic engineering" education. When I was in school, it was called "electrical engineering", long before ICs, etc. Remember "solid state"? :)

30,000 Mile Service

Back on topic now, folks. (attn)

Dropped off the car this morning at the dealership and getting the 30,000 mile service done. Pricey? Yes, but I don't do car maintenance and I keep my cars for 10 years so I think it's worth it. Service.jpeg

Interesting conversation. I found this on the web fwiw:

There exist packaged LEDs with two die connected in parallel but with opposite polarity with respect to the two input leads so that light will be emitted regardless of the polarity of the applied voltage.

The example that first comes to mind are the bi-color LEDs(or tri-color), such as the ones with red and green die. By control of the direction of the applied current it can be made to shine red light or green light. When subject to AC it appears (Red + Green) = Yellow.

source: https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...rized-and-non-polarized-led-different.140016/ [post #4]

That's followed by a little schematic. If that's correct, and it sounds correct, the packaging makes all the difference, and could be designed to supply the same color light regardless of polarity. We all agree that diodes only pass current in one direction. But we're talking about "bulbs" which are more than just diodes.

And don't let the question of the polarity of the light produced confuse the issue!

Another interesting sidenote. 7 referred to his "electronic engineering" education. When I was in school, it was called "electrical engineering", long before ICs, etc. Remember "solid state"? :)

Yeh, I was gonna mention tri-color LEDs. I worked with them installing access control & intrusion detection systems in office buildings in DC. I was around when SCRs replaced electro-mechanical relays in our stuff.

I took electronics in the 70s at night classes. "Tubes and Transistors." Interesting stuff. Ended up getting an accounting degree.

Dropped off the car this morning at the dealership and getting the 30,000 mile service done. Pricey? Yes, but I don't do car maintenance and I keep my cars for 10 years so I think it's worth it.View attachment 220827

I can't argue with you taking care of your car. This is my 3rd new one, and I kept the first one for 15 years, and the second (my truck) is coming up on that age and I don't plan on getting rid of it. Used cars were kept for about 5 years then sold.

Last edited:
VERY pricey.
However the price at the bottom of that brochure is absolutely highway robbery.
$229 to... REMOVE, REGAP, and REPLACE the plugs in the CX9.
Replace?
How many plugs does the 9 have? 20?!?!?
You can't just put 4 new ones in for.... $229?!?!?!

Is brake fluid and transmission/transfer case oil replacement a recommended thing? I could only find brake fluid n the Mexico maintenance section of my manual (I don't understand why just Mexico), and the other 2 only if the vehicle were submerged.

Dropped off the car this morning at the dealership and getting the 30,000 mile service done. Pricey? Yes, but I don't do car maintenance and I keep my cars for 10 years so I think it's worth it.View attachment 220827

It definitely IS worth it if you don't do any work on your car, and you SHOULD do it.

But it looks to me like a real spendy oil change with a lot of inspections. Great profit generator.

Is brake fluid and transmission/transfer case oil replacement a recommended thing? I could only find brake fluid n the Mexico maintenance section of my manual (I don't understand why just Mexico), and the other 2 only if the vehicle were submerged.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that brake fluid should be replaced every two years, and I've hit that milestone. I haven't done (nor HAD to do) any other maintenance to my car (other than oil changes/tire rotations) in the two years I've been driving it so it was time for some TLC. Averaging today's cost out over the past two years makes it sound a bit more palatable.

That's insane. Filters are $10 and take 2 mins each to switch out.

Oil change? $60ish at dealer.

As an AWD vehicle, having both the rear differential an transfer oil changed was about $180 if I recall when I had it done.

What the hell they charging $500 for? Blech.

The Diff Fluid is Recommended on AWD.

What the hell they charging $500 for? Blech.

Wheel rotation, wiper blades, brake fluid, general inspection, some component lubrication and some drain hole cleaning. $200 for that stuff isn't bad, especially if you're not mechanically inclined or don't have the tools/space/time to do them yourself.

The problem is that some dealerships will take this opportunity to try and get the owners to replace certain components early through recommendations on the general inspection they do. It's a profit generator that gives them an opportunity to pitch more profit generating services.

Wheel rotation, wiper blades, brake fluid, general inspection, some component lubrication and some drain hole cleaning. $200 for that stuff isn't bad, especially if you're not mechanically inclined or don't have the tools/space/time to do them yourself.

The problem is that some dealerships will take this opportunity to try and get the owners to replace certain components early through recommendations on the general inspection they do. It's a profit generator that gives them an opportunity to pitch more profit generating services.
As stated, huge ripoff.

Dealer wiper blades suck by the way, if they are the OEM.

In what way do they suck? Ours are working quite well.
In the snow. Perhaps they've improved the design since the God awful blades my 2014 came with. Snow would build up on them so bad they'd stop wiping properly requiring pulling over and clearing them. Horrible.

Shouldn*t be a problem with the wiper blade deicer that mine has. Hopefully

I haven't had a chance to test mine, but I had one in a previous car. All it did was keep snow from building up at the bottom of the windshield. The wipers wouldn't contact the heated area long enough, so they still built up plenty. Hope the Mazda's is better.

The wipers wouldn't contact the heated area long enough, so they still built up plenty. Hope the Mazda's is better.

They are not. In March I drove from Northern VT to PA during a snowstorm when the temp was around 25 degrees. I had to pull over 3 or 4 times to clear off all the snow and ice that was built up. This was with the defrost on high.

Wouldnt the deicer in theory help release frozen wipers upon startup more than keeping snow from accumulating during storms?

The placement leaves me to believe it would help with both, but be better suited for the former.

They are not. In March I drove from Northern VT to PA during a snowstorm when the temp was around 25 degrees. I had to pull over 3 or 4 times to clear off all the snow and ice that was built up. This was with the defrost on high.

Mazda's equipped with Windshields don't do defrost Bruh. So I keep feeling the soft touch material in Dallas on 45F mornings with Dew waiting 5 minutes for it to clear.

Back