What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Put the new starter on. Was gonna make a how to but it's pretty straightforward from the WSM anyways.

Got some things in last week in anticipation of picking up my new Reserve this weekend.

First day home she received OEM cargo mat and cargo cover from MedCenter Mazda and Canadian OEM Premium floor liners from Scarboro Mazda.

Attachments

• CX-5 First Day_Cargo Mat and Cover_20191117.JPG
    CX-5 First Day_Cargo Mat and Cover_20191117.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 217
  • CX-5 First Day_ Passenger Floor Mat_20191117.JPG
    CX-5 First Day_ Passenger Floor Mat_20191117.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 201
Rear Differential shitted after coming out of a car wash earlier this week. I'm thinking it's the coupler that is bad, but when I went to do some testing today I forgot my pump to refill the diff oil so I didn't drain it. I did test that the wheel wheels are not getting power at all. Also no cels so it must be a hardware problem not electronics. Drives normally, no noise really, except now it's wrong wheel drive (yuck). I'm thinking it may be the coupler that is shot but I couldn't tell for sure.
Luckily I found a video for a shortcut way so I won't have to take everything apart according to the WSM. But I can replace the couple without removing the diff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9YOtmHax5A&t=731s

Rear Differential shitted after coming out of a car wash earlier this week. I'm thinking it's the coupler that is bad, but when I went to do some testing today I forgot my pump to refill the diff oil so I didn't drain it. I did test that the wheel wheels are not getting power at all. Also no cels so it must be a hardware problem not electronics. Drives normally, no noise really, except now it's wrong wheel drive (yuck). I'm thinking it may be the coupler that is shot but I couldn't tell for sure.
Luckily I found a video for a shortcut way so I won't have to take everything apart according to the WSM. But I can replace the couple without removing the diff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9YOtmHax5A&t=731s
Wow, one thing after another!

How do you know theres problem on your rear differential? Noise? Leak? As theres no 4WD warning message?

Wow, one thing after another!

How do you know there*s problem on your rear differential? Noise? Leak? As there*s no *4WD* warning message?

No cels/lights whatsoever. Leads me to suspect it's not a wiring issue. In fact the WSM points to the coupler in such a situation. Come to find out, the diff and coupler were redesigned due to flaws. My vin doesn't fall into the TSB, but my date of manufacture does by over a year (not sure how that is). I jacked the car and when in drive the rears do not move, but if I spin the tire with my shoe I get a clunking noise (which I don't hear while driving).

No cels/lights whatsoever. Leads me to suspect it's not a wiring issue. In fact the WSM points to the coupler in such a situation. Come to find out, the diff and coupler were redesigned due to flaws. My vin doesn't fall into the TSB, but my date of manufacture does by over a year (not sure how that is). I jacked the car and when in drive the rears do not move, but if I spin the tire with my shoe I get a clunking noise (which I don't hear while driving).
May be it*s time to check out the price for rear differential from LKQ?

Or may be try to drain the gear lube and see if you can find something? And refill it with the Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 and see if it would improve?

Engines, transfer cases and transmission all over aftermarket.. used differentials unicorns. That's a bad sign and considering the TSB I'm not surprise. Rear diff going on a fwd bias.. theres a reason they redesigned it, and then again for the 2017s

Engines, transfer cases and transmission all over aftermarket.. used differentials unicorns. That's a bad sign and considering the TSB I'm not surprise. Rear diff going on a fwd bias.. theres a reason they redesigned it, and then again for the 2017s
Yes, I definitely agree. I saw a couple of TSBs related to rear differential and its been redesigned in different areas to resolve the issues. Thats why I tried the hardest to get my rear disk calipers replaced with revised version under warranty. I simply believe Mazda (and any other car manufactures included) wont spend the money to modify a product if theres a way (such as the software) to fix the problem.

On the other hand, sometimes the modified product which is supposedly to improve may backfire. The improved rear liftgate struts which are used to replace the original struts for a safety recall definitely are inferior than original, and I truly regret to let my Mazda dealer performed the recall.

Yes, I definitely agree. I saw a couple of TSBs related to rear differential and it*s been redesigned in different areas to resolve the issues. That*s why I tried the hardest to get my rear disk calipers replaced with revised version under warranty. I simply believe Mazda (and any other car manufactures included) won*t spend the money to modify a product if there*s a way (such as the software) to fix the problem.

On the other hand, sometimes the modified product which is supposedly to improve may backfire. The *improved* rear liftgate struts which are used to replace the original struts for a safety recall definitely are inferior than original, and I truly regret to let my Mazda dealer performed the recall.

Yea, I got my done for the hell of it and now I hit my head on my hatch. Also it hs less pressure at full extension

Yea, I got my done for the hell of it and now I hit my head on my hatch. Also it hs less pressure at full extension
I believe we all should file a compliant at NHTSA website and hopefully NHTSA will force Mazda to have a second safety recall against these inferior replacement liftgate struts ⋯

Well I never knew how sensitive the CX-5 could be to off balance tires.

After travelling last week for the holidays, when I got back into town, I got into the car to drive home from the airport. On the highway at speeds 50 MPH or more, the car began to shake quite a bit.

I pulled over and looked at the tires/wheels. Snow had lodged into the wheels around the rotors and calipers (presumably from the drive to the airport on a day we got around 12" of snow) and upset the balance enough to cause quite the shake/shimmy when at highway speeds. After sitting for a few days, when I got back, it was more ice like. Knocked out the ice, and luckily it returned to good working order.

I hit a couple of small bumps that made the car bounce a bit. Not much but I did notice it. So I am also wondering if my struts are going out. 87,500 miles. I wasn't sure how long struts lasted anyway.

Put on a set of AltiMax RT43's yesterday. Hope you guys are right about them! I put about 40 miles on them just yesterday and everything feels and sounds good.

Truth be told, I never had any issues with my OEM Yokohamas. They were evenly worn at 52k miles and still felt fine. But at over $200 a piece for a nothing-special highway tire... NOPE!

After travelling last week for the holidays, when I got back into town, I got into the car to drive home from the airport. On the highway at speeds 50 MPH or more, the car began to shake quite a bit.

I pulled over and looked at the tires/wheels. Snow had lodged into the wheels around the rotors and calipers (presumably from the drive to the airport on a day we got around 12" of snow) and upset the balance enough to cause quite the shake/shimmy when at highway speeds. After sitting for a few days, when I got back, it was more ice like. Knocked out the ice, and luckily it returned to good working order.

Think about how small the actual balance weights are. It doesn't take much ice/snow/mud/etc to throw a wheel out of balance, and boy will you feel it at highway speeds! I just ran into the same thing with my 3 the other day on my way to work. It almost reached 40 degrees by mid day, and after sitting in the parking lot all day, the car was totally fine going home.

Last edited:
Put on a set of AltiMax RT43's yesterday. Hope you guys are right about them! I put about 40 miles on them just yesterday and everything feels and sounds good.

Truth be told, I never had any issues with my OEM Yokohamas. They were evenly worn at 52k miles and still felt fine. But at over $200 a piece for a nothing-special highway tire... NOPE!
Did you add at least a couple of more psis than factory recommended 34 psi to your new 225/65R17 102H General AltiMAX RT43s?

Back