What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Finally got my black California license plates. The rear license plate mount is a cut corner, seriously just regular Philips screws, no rubber mounts to stop the plate and frame from rubbing and scratching the paint.

Still unsure how long i'll wait before putting on front license plate as I don't want to puncture the front bumper, anyone have any alternatives on how to mount it without piercing the bumper? don't like the offset ones through tow hooks.

I've lived in Northern Calif my whole life (peninsula, south and north bay), have never run a front plate in over 50 years of driving and have never been hassled!

I've lived in Northern Calif my whole life (peninsula, south and north bay), have never run a front plate in over 50 years of driving and have never been hassled!

I was pulled over in my town the first year I had my license. I don't mind the plate in the front but I more so mind the puncturing of the bumper.

My current vehicles have no front license plate othe than 2000 BMW 528i which comes with integrated license plate holder with front bumper. In 20+ years I only got pulled over once in Houston many years ago while driving my 1998 Honda CR-V. Went to the court, Judge wanted me to show my front license plate and paid only $30 court fee.

In our city cops are hiding everywhere trying to catch drivers. Strangely during frequent visits to Bay Area I've almost never seen any police vehicles hiding or driving around! Luckily I haven't got a ticket for missing front plate since then, although there's a new law enforced for front license plate recently.

Finally got my black California license plates. The rear license plate mount is a cut corner, seriously just regular Philips screws, no rubber mounts to stop the plate and frame from rubbing and scratching the paint.

Still unsure how long i'll wait before putting on front license plate as I don't want to puncture the front bumper, anyone have any alternatives on how to mount it without piercing the bumper? don't like the offset ones through tow hooks.
Yep, Mazda has really cheaped out on rear license plate holder. I use dealer's plastic plate serving as a buffer to prevent any possibility of rubbing on paint.

Yep, Mazda has really cheaped out on rear license plate holder. I use dealer's plastic plate serving as a buffer to prevent any possibility of rubbing on paint.

Lol I got the same thing right now. I get a new matte black frame tomorrow and want to add some rubber to the back of the license plate so it doesn’t rub at the same time. Was looking at some door weather stripping or something.

You guys don't get this added to your front bumper before the plate is added (uhm) (see red arrow):

zmdy4x.jpg

You guys don't get this added to your front bumper before the plate is added (uhm) (see red arrow):

zmdy4x.jpg

We get this beauty here in the states (front and back pics below). It clips onto the lower grill and 2 holes get drilled through the bumper cover to secure the top of it. I would find a way to secure it to the lower grill opening and will do so if I ever get a fix it ticket.

20180522_181823.jpg

20180522_181839.jpg

Interesting....

What about using cable ties to secure it to bottom of grill (uhm)

Last edited:
Interesting....

What about using cable ties to secure it to bottom of grill (uhm)

That’s what I was going to try to rig up behind the plate holder. The thing is the vertical plastic slats are rail thin and if someone walks by it and hits with a leg it might brake.

The pic you showed is that already screwed into the bumper?

That’s what I was going to try to rig up behind the plate holder. The thing is the vertical plastic slats are rail thin and if someone walks by it and hits with a leg it might brake.

The pic you showed is that already screwed into the bumper?

Done by the dealer as there are other photos out there of CX-5's at dealerships without that holder attached.

Mine has it.

It has been a busy day
Detailed, clay bar and waxed.
3D MAXpider Front Row Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Mazda CX-5 Models - Kagu Rubber (Black)
WeatherTech Cargo liner, not a great fit but works.
3M 08582 36" Door Edge Protection Film

I put these on my car and I've been extremely happy with how they've held up and how they look
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I don't use any license plate frames as if they're made of metal (or stainless in your case) which would rub directly against the paint. Some may even rattle making noises when you shut the liftgate. Many license plate frames also block the top and bottom edges of the license plate.

Today was a wonderful day, driver side outer mirror decided to quit folding open and close. So I gave the big guy a rest and finally running 130-140kph it auto fold to close position reducing drag. nice one mazda!

I don't use any license plate frames as if they're made of metal (or stainless in your case) which would rub directly against the paint. Some may even rattle making noises when you shut the liftgate. Many license plate frames also block the top and bottom edges of the license plate.

No rattles here and much better than a *shudder* dealer frame.

Back