What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Flying with a friend for currency..his place is on the runway lol
15493823_10157858977290487_2519986990185470639_o.jpg

53809448_10161467748335487_3460648685908525056_o.jpg

Dang my wife's car needs brakes BAD! We just got back from a week-long vacation, nearly 1,500 miles of driving, and every time I applied the brakes on the highway the steering wheel shaking was absolutely awful. We've had the car from 52K now up to 94K miles, and I've never done brakes on it yet.

Surprised you have not even looked at the brakes yet if you have 94k miles. Of course they are acting like that.

Why does everyone think I haven't inspected the brakes? Of course I've looked at them, several times since getting the car, and the pads appear to have life left in them. It's just been this past stint of road trip highway driving where they really started to vibrate pretty bad on the brake pedal. It's had a faint vibration for awhile and I just haven't gotten around to doing the work.

Also it doesn't really vibrate at normal speeds around town. It's when braking from 70+ MPH that it vibrates pretty bad. And my wife pretty much never drives the car on the highway, like, ever.

I'm turning very hard myself, but my engine is fine. It's kind of hard to believe, that from a hard turn the engine can get that bad.

Or, perhaps his crankcase was very low on oil.

That's what I was saying. Although it's not unheard of for a sharp turn (usually prolonged) to blank an oil pickup, likely the oil leak helped it happen during the sharp turn. Also the rpms were low (thus oil pressure/pump flow) when it happened

Why does everyone think I haven't inspected the brakes? Of course I've looked at them, several times since getting the car, and the pads appear to have life left in them. It's just been this past stint of road trip highway driving where they really started to vibrate pretty bad on the brake pedal. It's had a faint vibration for awhile and I just haven't gotten around to doing the work.

Also it doesn't really vibrate at normal speeds around town. It's when braking from 70+ MPH that it vibrates pretty bad. And my wife pretty much never drives the car on the highway, like, ever.

Probably the rotors need turning vs. the pads not having any life in them.

Brake deposits. Perhaps related to engine braking where pads aren't really biting into rotors but rather leave some glazing behind. Turning rotors or just buying new ones would do the trick.

Installed a few OEM accessories today

Front and rear bumper garnish:

81f6af37beb563536e5aeb4120ab9eaa.jpg

d72af0f63d7595573511ec1495577fb3.jpg

These were more of a hassle than expected!

Also installed lift gate sill plate (or whatever its called):

ad2409f85ed79889791ffb180aced187.jpg

Lastly, did front and rear splash guards:

1d263b8308ba636c4424951afc793e23.jpg

f3f76c067d5b13bc6bc9459007bcfae9.jpg

Installed cargo cover, but its a 30 second job. No pics of this. Surprised with the quality of this piece. Very well made with a mesh portion so you can see through it while the lift gate is open.

Next up will be oem window vents and sill plates.

Also installed lift gate sill plate (or whatever its called):

Installed cargo cover, but its a 30 second job. No pics of this. Surprised with the quality of this piece. Very well made with a mesh portion so you can see through it while the lift gate is open.

Nice!!! Looks great! I've only done cargo matts and a slew of detailing products so far.

Did you order this all from your dealer or online?! I plan on getting some.of the same accessories (door will trim, splash guards). Could you send a link to the items you purchased?

Thanks!

Also installed lift gate sill plate (or whatever it*s called):

Installed cargo cover, but it*s a 30 second job. No pics of this. Surprised with the quality of this piece. Very well made with a mesh portion so you can see through it while the lift gate is open.

Looks good. I had the rear bumper guard (sill plate), cargo cover and splash guards done by the factory, since labor was free when I ordered the car And I read that the rear splash guards (I believe) are tough to install.

Someone else here posted pics of running his car through mud "Before and After" installing the splash guards. For as small as they are, they make a big difference.

I have window vents on my truck and am still thinking about putting them on my CX-5.

In other news of the saga that is my car can't catch a break this year, got this lovely number done whilst street parking while they replace the complex. Wondering if I can get most of the paint part fixed with compound and polish and a DA polisher. It sadly feels kinda deep though, so probably not.

f138578344c8c93b4c4d4ef4a86a119c.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: Resolved. Transmission was fine. It ended up being a loose battery terminal and the transmission control module not receiving enough juice.

Well...on the way to the body shop today, it happened.

Zoom, zoom, BOOM. Was accelerating from a stop light and transmission went boom, car lost all power. Sitting in a parking lot waiting for the AAA tow truck to tow my ass somewhere.

These lights are on. Most reliable car I've ever owned till the tranny went out I guess. I don't know for sure it's the tranny but certainly has all the hallmarks.

d7b0f0d9532972c1ba3d7332cb6c2a9a.jpg

Last edited:

Zoom, zoom, BOOM. Was accelerating from a stop light and transmission went boom, car lost all power. Sitting in a parking lot waiting for the AAA tow truck to tow my ass somewhere.

These lights are on. Most reliable car I've ever owned till the tranny went out I guess. I don't know for sure it's the tranny but certainly has all the hallmarks.

Man, this sucks horribly.

sucks!!! How many years & miles?

Sorry to hear man. I see that you're out of warranty too. Hopefully Mazda helps you out with the cost of the repair in some way. This sucks.

Back