What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Take it apart and wash it, with 100% alcohol. Let it dry and see, if it will work after that. You should take it apart and take out the battery, as soon as possible.
I don't believe in the rice stuff.
The water gets on the copper traces and starts the chemical reaction, with the battery power's help, it accelerates it.
Give it a try, before spending any money.

I have a wireless Ottie charger and I use my Note 8, for AA. No discharging, or weak USB charging issues here. I don't need to do any retrofits, because I have a Kenwood nav unit.

Is it recessed into the slot for the head unit? I've noticed that with a lot of the head units people are putting in their Gen1's.

Yes, it is recessed. Less issues with the sun, I would prefer it even deeper, if it would be possible.

Yes, it is recessed. Less issues with the sun, I would prefer it even deeper, if it would be possible.
Good point.

I'm looking at options for fixing mine. My stock screen is all manner of scratched up at this point.

Last edited:
Wheels, Tires, Oil, and Wash

New wheels and winter tires yesterday. Considering they'll be on the car for five or six months of the year, I spent an extra $200 over the basic steelies and got some alloys. Today I did an oil change and probably the last bucket wash of the year. It's getting too damn cold; so from now until spring she'll be relegated to spray washes.

140gfmt.jpg

Good point.

I'm looking at options for fixing mine. My stock screen is all manner of scratched up at this point.

If it would be me, I would take it apart and I would look for that touch screen part number and I would look for it at Aliexpress, maybe it is available there.

If it would be me, I would take it apart and I would look for that touch screen part number and I would look for it at Aliexpress, maybe it is available there.

Isn't it all just one head unit? They are like $350 - $400 new from what I saw.

New wheels and winter tires yesterday. Considering they'll be on the car for five or six months of the year, I spent an extra $200 over the basic steelies and got some alloys. Today I did an oil change and probably the last bucket wash of the year. It's getting too damn cold; so from now until spring she'll be relegated to spray washes.

140gfmt.jpg

I've seen those chrome cover pieces on the front nose of your CX5 on Ebay and I wondered what they looked like in a decent photo.

I quite like it.

[note :- I'm not anti-chrome]

Im quite happy with the way it looks too. Its not for everybody, which is fine. Also, the way I look at it, if I get tired of it in a year or two, I can just take it off. As a bonus, therell be no paint chips on that leading edge.

I've seen those chrome cover pieces on the front nose of your CX5 on Ebay and I wondered what they looked like in a decent photo.

I quite like it.

[note :- I'm not anti-chrome]
Makes me wanna puke.
No offense. [emoji16]

Vince
- President of the Anti-Chrome Club

I ordered the last of the Altemax rt43 tires I will need (ordered 1 per paycheck) to replace the bad WRG3 SUV tires I have had on my CX5 for the last 8 months. 2 of the 4 have worn off the snowflake symbol, and all 4 are sitting at 3.5-4.5mm of tread life. Absolutely pathetic. They are loud, were impossible to properly balance (I've lived with mild vibration since I got them), and the one tiny bit of ice I encountered at the end of last season didn't really make them seem like a stand-out over my worn LX20's.

I ordered the last of the Altemax rt43 tires I will need (ordered 1 per paycheck) to replace the bad WRG3 SUV tires I have had on my CX5 for the last 8 months. 2 of the 4 have worn off the snowflake symbol, and all 4 are sitting at 3.5-4.5mm of tread life. Absolutely pathetic. They are loud, were impossible to properly balance (I've lived with mild vibration since I got them), and the one tiny bit of ice I encountered at the end of last season didn't really make them seem like a stand-out over my worn LX20's.
There're 2 different General AltiMAX RT43 tires with the size of 225/65R17 for about the same price. Make sure to get "H" rated one which is much superior in specs than the other "T" rated one.

Word of warning.

I hated the feel of the Altimax tires at stock PSI. I assume you have 17s like me? Air them up a couple more PSI.

Also, they feel much better now that they are a little worn. Right from the shop they did not feel great at all. But now, they are definitely a little below my old Michelins in the handling department, but otherwise have been great, especially considering the price.

Word of warning.

I hated the feel of the Altimax tires at stock PSI. I assume you have 17s like me? Air them up a couple more PSI.

Also, they feel much better now that they are a little worn. Right from the shop they did not feel great at all. But now, they are definitely a little below my old Michelins in the handling department, but otherwise have been great, especially considering the price.
IMO the reason why we need more psi on General AltiMAX RT43 is twofold. For one factory recommended tire pressure usually is on the low side, especially this one-pressure-fit-all recommended tire pressure in the US. Secondly, 34 psi recommended tire pressure is for Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 tire from factory which carries 44 psi maximum inflation pressure but RT43 carries 51 psi maximum inflation pressure. The maximum load for a tire is designed at the maximum inflation pressure of a tire. Each tire with similar load index carries the same weight from the vehicle, hence the tire pressure needs to be higher for those with higher maximum inflation pressure to achieve the optimal performance designed by factory.

Back