What have you done to your CX-5 today?

What you see is the result after somebody told me to try a heat gun. Trust me it's a deep scratch magic eraser won't do jack.

Plastex, or one of the cheaper alternatives is all I can think of, followed by a close a match as you can get with a Sharpie, or floor/furniture scratch fix type pen.

Maybe making a paste with baking soda and water too, or even toothpaste, IDK...Maybe even Ramen noodles, lol, I'm actually being serious about the Ramen noodles, and the videos are worth the watch...

Trust me, I know these suck, I had a 12 inch long or so one all the way across the glove box on another car...

What you see is the result after somebody told me to try a heat gun. Trust me it's a deep scratch magic eraser won't do jack.

Perhaps recoloring it black with a leather/vinyl color kit. Won't remove scratch but will help mask it into one single color if recoloring that center shroud.

I have like 7 of those scratches on mine. The first couple hurt, I gave up after. Its got to be from my wife. I wear one of those nylon wedding bands so I have no idea what else caused those scratches.

Did first oil change since the bottom end repair. Everything looked good. Added some. Blue devil for a small leaking cant find/be bothered with. Also drained and filled my trans again for a total of 8 qts (2 drain and fillbwothin 3 week). New drilled and slotted brakes discs/pads going on tomorrow. Put my new taillights back on after I had to send one of the hatch lights back because of a soldering issue.

Chris, you will replace all discs, even if they are not worn out yet?

I hope you have disconnected the battery, when you have removed that airbag.

Installed drilled/slotted all the way around and installed LED 3rd brake light with running light built in
66699784_10161914012480487_5592564052418101248_n.jpg

66690208_10161914014965487_1350611461897977856_o.jpg

I see you cleaned your calipers Chris. Looks good and contrasts with those new rotors.

You are right, I started feeling some vibration myself, when I brake. Most likely, my front brakes are warped a bit as well. Soon, I will have to do this as well. At 55k, right now.

You are right, I started feeling some vibration myself, when I brake. Most likely, my front brakes are warped a bit as well. Soon, I will have to do this as well. At 55k, right now.

Had that last year. Had a shop turn my rotors, but next time I'll need to replace them.

Had that last year. Had a shop turn my rotors, but next time I'll need to replace them.

Yeah rotors should have at least 1 turn attempt (if needed) in them. There's like 2mm-3mm thickness of metal before going out of spec and needing replacement.

If its light deposit warps you technically could sand it down with a sanding bit/tool. What I do is at least 1x a week drive on the highway and brake from 70 down to a stop at an exit leading to an intersection.This removes my deposits accumulated throughout the week of city driving and prevents heavy building of deposits.

Last edited:
I hope you have disconnected the battery, when you have removed that airbag.

Step #1: remove negative battery cable and wait 20-30 min before proceeding. You bet your bottom dollar I did!

After installing the new steering wheel, I*ve never been more aware there is a borderline explosive device pointed at my face.

Did first oil change since the bottom end repair. Everything looked good. Added some. Blue devil for a small leaking cant find/be bothered with. Also drained and filled my trans again for a total of 8 qts (2 drain and fillbwothin 3 week). New drilled and slotted brakes discs/pads going on tomorrow. Put my new taillights back on after I had to send one of the hatch lights back because of a soldering issue.

I think yours is the only CX5 I've heard of that has needed bottom end bearings replaced. Any idea what caused it? Do you just beat on it that hard? :p

Dang my wife's car needs brakes BAD! We just got back from a week-long vacation, nearly 1,500 miles of driving, and every time I applied the brakes on the highway the steering wheel shaking was absolutely awful. We've had the car from 52K now up to 94K miles, and I've never done brakes on it yet.

Dang my wife's car needs brakes BAD! We just got back from a week-long vacation, nearly 1,500 miles of driving, and every time I applied the brakes on the highway the steering wheel shaking was absolutely awful. We've had the car from 52K now up to 94K miles, and I've never done brakes on it yet.

Oil starved during a sharp turn, likely had leaked some oil enough to blank the pickup.
You can get 4 wheels rotor/pads from brake labs (Ebay store) for just over $100 (OEM style/spec) or drilled and slotted for around $180. I went to the d/s because every OEM or OEM style brake disc I've had on my cx5 ended up warped. And the fade sucks. Doesn't work with my driving style.

Back