What have you done to your CX-5 today?

About to buy a CX5 and got two good competing offers. Anything perks I can ask from the dealer? One offered extra oil changes.

Ask for anything and everything, the worst thing they can say is no. OEM accessories like roof rails, trunk liner, all weather floor mats, emergency tow hook, cargo net, cargo cover, remote start, etc. Ask to waive "doc fees" or "dealer fees". Ask for paint protection film and installation. Discounts on extended warranty or service packages. Free oil changes. Even Mazda swag like baseball caps, keychains, license plate frames, tumblers or coffee cups if you want.

I was able to get a bunch of accessories, free PPF and installation, discount on extended warranty/service package, and 5 free oil changes.

I added a shift panel cover today to cover up some of the piano black plastic. The piano black had a few scratches after I glanced at it wrong.

9uaUbO1.jpg

I added a shift panel cover today to cover up some of the piano black plastic. The piano black had a few scratches after I glanced at it wrong.

9uaUbO1.jpg

Yes, that black, polished ABS plastic will scratch extremely easy. Like you said, just look at it and it scratches. Your console top looks great.

I also got tired of constantly polishing off the scratches and finally covered the center console as well as the piano black on all 4 doors. The door pieces are stainless steel too. Plus, I purchased the silver plastic pieces to eliminate the black, fake wood on the dash and doors. I still have as of yet to install the silver plastic pieces on the doors. All in good time.

EPss8xu.jpg

R8e9FDc.jpg

7YNQj5J.jpg

zosg3Rg.jpg

Are those scratches between the switches?

Unfortunately, yes.

The stainless steel piece for the right front door does not come with an opening for the window buttons. During the process of cutting the hole, my Dremel slipped twice.

I will probably get a new one and try it again.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes.

The stainless steel piece for the right front door does not come with an opening for the window buttons. During the process of cutting the hole, my Dremel slipped twice.

I will probably get a new one and try it again.

Yeah, kinda annoying that none of the passenger switch trims come with both openings. I wanted to get the trims for the window switches too, but I don't trust myself with a Dremel.

Updated the firmware in our '17, followed the guides posted here and on other forums and it was actually shockingly easy. Took under 1 hour for the update to the latest 70 version.

All that's left for the android auto upgrade is the actual wiring harness now.

Got hit and run clipped by a red light runner (or he had bad tires and couldn't stop in the snowstorm tonight).

Pissed. Bit damage is not too bad.

That sucks.
The greatest danger in the snow is the other guy.

That sucks.
The greatest danger in the snow is the other guy.
Yep, I sped up to avoid him when I saw it. I was turning left at an intersection and I had the green light. Didn't speed up quite enough and he clipped me....and ran.

Got a look last night and trim around rear wheel is gone and the rear corner of my bumper is a bit floppy and scratched to s***. Nothing dented at least?

Last edited:
Installed a Draw Tite trailer hitch today. Really easy install even doing it by myself. Took maybe an hour.
2cc6f93fcfe14e5ab1777e1b2eeabc2d.jpg

Well washed the car today and scratches are worse than I thought.

Here's what the asshole on Friday did to my car. My insurance agent has a contact with the traffic cam guys for that county, so we'll see.

Perhaps I just need to invest in front and rear dashcams.

My deductible is $1000 (because **** me for being male, 28, and in Denver), so I am hoping they caught something.

Last pic, hard to tell, but those 2 panels are no longer level with each other.

EDIT: And just noticed the wheel is all scratched up and that tire looks to have some "rub" on it where it says Bridgestone.

6fb2592e61f2e86d4ac3d9e524a40a3e.jpg

8c28a561e96e9febad7f45c1c40d1409.jpg

c5b7fc3c059d3c0e4e762b6591990fe7.jpg

3ed0c976d34f46adfbb795397ef0e56f.jpg

Last edited:
A dashcam is definitely a worthwhile investment. I spent $200 CAD on a front and rear camera setup with a 256gb microSD card, and it's already paid for itself by saving me from having to pay my $200 deductible due to a hit and run with an unregistered vehicle. Insurance told me that if I didn't have video proof, I would have been on the hook for it unless the other driver filed a report or opened a claim.

Scratches on the paint don't look too deep at first glance. You could probably just replace the fender trim, buy some rubbing compound, polish, and wax for the paint scratches and be done with it. The panel misalignment might be due to the bumper mounting tabs (where the screw and the push pins are) being pulled out of place a bit, so you might be able to just bend them back. But you'd have to live with the bumper scratches, those won't come out.

Last edited:
Buy the fender trim (less than $50 at Med Center), do as said above to the paint, and see what you think. I think you'll be quite surprised at the results and keep the $1k in your pocket...

I guess you could price the bumper trim ($200ish is my guess) and get it to0. Both are easy installs. The little gap or whatever you're seeing will push out when you put the fender trim back on. It's pretty loose to begin with as it has some room to move already. Either way, I'd do all this before dishing out a $1k and having my whole bumper and rear fender painted, and an insurance claim on a 5 year old car to boot.

Good luck, it sucks no matter what. Sorry man!

Buy the fender trim (less than $50 at Med Center), do as said above to the paint, and see what you think. I think you'll be quite surprised at the results and keep the $1k in your pocket...

I guess you could price the bumper trim ($200ish is my guess) and get it to0. Both are easy installs. The little gap or whatever you're seeing will push out when you put the fender trim back on. It's pretty loose to begin with as it has some room to move already. Either way, I'd do all this before dishing out a $1k and having my whole bumper and rear fender painted, and an insurance claim on a 5 year old car to boot.

Good luck, it sucks no matter what. Sorry man!

Well I gave it a more throrough look and some stuff is just not lining up right, more than just the tabs, so I don't know.

Going to at least take it to Service King who did work for me last time I got hit (other side of the car, but much less damage). They did the fender trim for around $50 last time and I can get an idea for the rest.

I also had the realization today that the guy who hit me very well could have been uninsured, so even if I do catch him, could be all me anyway.

Ugh. I hate this crap.

Last edited:
Back