Installation fee for remote starter on new car?

MrThinz

I am looking at getting a 2013 CX-5, Grand Touring, AWD, with tech package and remote start. The remote start is invoiced at $525 and the dealer said there is an additional $699 for installation.
The MSRP is $31.9K and they are offering $30.9K plus an additional $500 off and then adding $699 for the installation total $30.6K.

Is $699 reasonable to pay (after the $595) for installation of the remote start?

Thanks for your help!

MT

It looks like Best Buy offers the remote starter PLUS installation for $250.

Not saying I would recommend the BB product. But there is no way there should be about a $1000 price difference.

The $699 is ONLY for installation. I will still be invoiced $525 for the actual unit.
I spoke with another dealer and they don't have this charge. It seems just like a scam to give a lower quote and screw you at the end.

I took delivery on a 2014 GT a couple weeks ago. Before I bought it, I asked the dealer about remote start, and he recommended aftermarket (I assume Viper) because they were several hundred bucks cheaper. I said, OK, do it. He called me back about 6 hours later and said that the contractor they used, in Columbia, MO, couldn't get it to work with the 2014. I'm guessing it's because the 2014 hasn't been out long enough for Viper to catch up, like maybe Mazda changed something in the technology that they haven't figured out yet?

Anyway, dealer said it would be about $700 to install a factory remote. If I wanted to do that, they'd set up an appointment. I went ahead and took delivery, and am now torn about what to do. I really want remote start, but $700 is a lot of money to me. I guess I'll give it a few months, then check back on the Viper.

Has anybody here had an aftermarket remote installed on a 2014? If so, what brand and who did the work?

If you check you will see a lot of "threads" on this subject. To answer, NO. Unless you do not mine giving up one of the factory remotes for installation in your car. Then you have to take the "other" factory remote and have that along with the new remote that comes with the Viper system. The factory remote acts as a "proximity" remote-recognizes you as the legitimate owner and the viper remote that starts remotely. NO thank you to having to carry two bulky remotes plus maybe one for the wife's car!!!

If you check you will see a lot of "threads" on this subject. To answer, NO. Unless you do not mine giving up one of the factory remotes for installation in your car. Then you have to take the "other" factory remote and have that along with the new remote that comes with the Viper system. The factory remote acts as a "proximity" remote-recognizes you as the legitimate owner and the viper remote that starts remotely. NO thank you to having to carry two bulky remotes plus maybe one for the wife's car!!!

Actually, I have not found any other threads (and I've searched) that pertain to the after market remote start on the 2014 CX-5, which was the gist of my question. For me, as the only driver of the car, giving up one factory key fob is not a big deal, nor is carrying two fobs.

You will find many threads on the "Accessories" page and the "Audio" page. I know because I was researching myself before winter, back around October 2012. Finally came to the realization that VIPER was my only hope BUT they had yet to update the needed software so that one fob would allow both access to the car and also remotely start the car....like we are all used to. I kept on being told..."it is coming". I am holding out for the VIPER. I am also told the Best Buy offers a good deal on Viper but just not yet.

Just contacted an authorized Viper dealer, who told me that the technology is not yet available for a Viper remote in the 2014. According to him, they're just rolling out the tech for the 2013 models, and it'll probably be next year before it's available for 2014s. Don't know about other brands. If anyone hears anything, please post.

I would bet you that the viper that one day would work on the 2013 would also work on the 2014....when it is available

Ripoff. Dealers hire contractors to do it. I happen to know one. They pay $150-$200 for install + the cost of remote.

Same story with seat heaters, cameras, etc....

If you are thinking of getting a remote start. Buy an OEM from like Mazda gear or mazda parts and install it yourself. If you are already getting the tech package. You can literally install the remote start in about 5 minutes. Its extremely easy. Take off the glove box, plug it in, there is already a jack waiting, and program your remote with your keys. I'd do it for you for half the price, if you live in swPA.

I signed up for the Best Buy Deal of the Day, and they had a Compustar remote start with bypass switch + install for 200.00. The extra cost was 20.00 for a relay for the lights to flash and the hood shut off switch. That is the upside. The downside was it took 6 hours to install and I had to wait for it. Although it took that long to install, it was mostly a programming issue because the installer had never done a CX-5. He called the help desk at BB Corporate for installers, and they had 8 calls that day from other installers on the CX-5. You will need to give up a perimeter remote that gets wired up under the dash. The Compustar I had installed is not fancy, and it is a one way remote with one extra feature button, ie rear defrost. But all for 220.00, which included install, so I have a warm car before I get in is so such a good deal. I still need to carry my other perimeter remote with me too. There have been no problems with this remote start since I had it installed in January.

How far away does the remote work, from the car? I assume you had to give up one of the two factory remotes?

Back