Upgrading 2013 CX-5 to be like the 2014?

Zorbick

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring, Sky Blue
So, I know this is probably a ridiculous thing to request, but here it goes:

I have a 2013 Touring AWD, 2.0. I want that 2.5L engine. Badly. I also want the start-stop function that is apparently standard on the new 2.5L. The Pandora app and generally upgraded infotainment system looks really good.

I'm kind of upset that I bought the first model year and within 5 months of me buying it they have a slew of upgrades for the new model year. I know that's the risk of early adoption, but come on. If they had said they were going to do all these awesome upgrades before the LA auto show(I had already bought mine by then) I would have waited and gotten a 2014 instead of the 2013. There were rumors for a diesel engine(which has gone to the Mazda6), but I didn't want the diesel, because the diesel cars in the US have more issues than in other countries because of our crummy diesel fuel. I figured the 2.0 was what we got, what we would continue to get, and that was that. I love my CX-5, but I would love a little more on-ramp acceleration.

What do you guys think the likelihood/cost would be for doing an engine swap? Is it even feasible? Will they have an update to the infotainment system similar to how Ford updated the Sync system? Is it possible to install just the start-stop system on it, like the non-US vehicles have?

Do you think there's some sort of 'hey, you have less than 10k miles on your car, you want the better model, we could do a swap for you for a fee' sort of program?

Engine Swap would cost more than just selling it and getting a new one.

First, you would have to find a donor car and they will be EXPENSIVE and hard to find. You basically have to find one that has been wrecked.

What you are proposing is simply not doable.

You would void all warranty from Bumper to Bumper and likely Eff Up something in the process.

Engine Swap would cost more than just selling it and getting a new one.

First, you would have to find a donor car and they will be EXPENSIVE and hard to find. You basically have to find one that has been wrecked.

What you are proposing is simply not doable.

You would void all warranty from Bumper to Bumper and likely Eff Up something in the process.

TRUTH.

If you want it so bad, just buy a 2014 and then sell your 2013. It's the most feasible way.

^ Agreed sell 2013 and buy 2014, it's only money.

I don't think the 14's have the start-stop function (engine auto off and on at stoplights and such). Or is the OP speaking of the ignition?

I don't think the 14's have the start-stop function (engine auto off and on at stoplights and such). Or is the OP speaking of the ignition?

I have a 14 Touring and none of the models come with start-stop like the bmw X1 and others have. They do have the normal push button start but the 13's do too. As said above, the easiest and cheapest way is trade up to a 2014.

Thanks guys, I figured as much. I just needed to hear confirmation from other people that my engine swap-up idea was crazy.

I'm getting tires rotated and oil changed tomorrow, so I'll ask how much money it would run me to do a buyout of my loan and get a 2014. It's always good to put a number up to prove how bad an idea really is, imo.

yea, 2.5L swap when my 2.0L dies :) should be able to find one in salvage guys.

just trade in your car, or drive it for a year, first year depreciation are higher

I have a 2013 Touring AWD, 2.0. I want that 2.5L engine.

The title of this thread should be "Downgrading the 2013 CX-5 to be like the 2014" because I don't know of anyone who likes to pay 3-8% more at the pump.

The title of this thread should be "Downgrading the 2013 CX-5 to be like the 2014" because I don't know of anyone who likes to pay 3-8% more at the pump.

I've driven both. Everything being equal, I would not want to pay more at the pump. They are not equal, so I for one will be much happier paying 3-8% more at the pump.

Some would say "You get what you pay for."

Yes, a valid perspective for many. I especially like how Mazda points out this feature below (in purple):

2.5L DOHC 16-valve I4 SKYACTIV-G engine w/Variable Valve Timing (VVT) -inc: black urethane engine cover

Latest posts

Back